Nearly 15,000 to be relocated for Vietnam's biggest airport

webfact

Nearly 15,000 to be relocated for Vietnam’s biggest airport

airport_cfrw-wpcf_728x413.jpg

VIETNAM: -- More than VND13.1 trillion (US$573.62 million) will be needed for site clearance for Long Thanh Airport, which will be the biggest in Vietnam, a local news website reported Monday, according to a report by Thanh Nien News.

Tuoi Tre Online quoted authorities in the southern province of Dong Nai, where the airport is to be built, as saying that the project requires nearly 4,000 hectares, or 9,880 acres of land.

Nearly 15,000 people and many religious and business buildings will be affected, authorities said.

With a projected cost of $15.8 billion, the project will officially start in 2019.

When its first stage is completed four years after, the airport will be able to serve 25 million passengers and 1.2 million tons of goods a year.

It will achieve its maximum capacity — 100 million passengers and 5 million tons of goods annually, after the second and third stages.

Vietnamese authorities want Long Thanh to replace the country’s currently biggest airport Tan Son Nhat in Ho Chi Minh City, as the latter already reached its designed capacity of 20 million passengers a year in 2013.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nearly-15000-to-be-relocated-for-vietnams-biggest-airport

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-02

This is very good planning in Vietnam, I love the place, my Thai wife and I have been there 3 times in the last couple of years and we love it. IF my wife would agree to leave her family members we would go and live there, without a bout. It is cheap, food ok, people very friendly, very little crime and authorities are very helpfull.

Going again early next year. I can see a lot of expats moving over there.

I think Vietnam will become an ASEAN superpower in terms of economy, industry and tourism. There's a long list of massive projects underway and new ones ready to be signed -- I won't go into them.

But VN has two big things it must do: 1) fix the expensive and annoying visa entry system (which I think will come soon) and 2) remove layers of bureaucrats and regulations to make it easier for FDI and local startup companies to get going.

I love going to Saigon, way cleaner and better laid out than Bangkok. Saigon recently opened a wonderful, beautiful, huge pedestrian park right in the middle of the city. Fantastic food and service. Cheap, too.

I will probably move there when they fix the visa system and allow long-stayers. The current three-month visa is not enough.