Renewing Driver's License in Samui

I have a driver's license issued by the motor vehicle place near Lipa Noi in Samui. I was and still am on tourist visa. It expires next month. When does one normally renew their license? I assume you would go before the current one expires, but how soon before would one normally go? And what papers would one bring at that time? I also understand that since I am on a tourist visa, I would only get a 1 year extension but if I was on a B or Non-O, I would get a 5 year extension. Does that about sum it up? Thanks.

It is very easy to renew I have now done mine twice however they will not do it until the license has expired in other words you cannot get it renewed the day it expires but you could 6 months after it has expired. Recently I renewed my passport and because they use your passport number on your drivers license I went to The office to have my current license updated they told me that they could not do this got both my passports and put a band around them and handed them back to me , when I asked why they had done this the guy behind the desk told me that if I was stopped by police then I could show them my passports which in turn would validate my drivers license, yet another reason why they call it AMAZING THAILAND !

so if i am to understand these replies, my license expires on 17th of october, which coincidentally is a saturday, if i were to go there now, or any time up to and including the 16th, they'd turn me away, and tell me to come back on the 17th or after? that sounds crazy. as some of you said, what if i get in an accident on the 18th? but, then again, this is thailand and i shouldn't expect things to be logical. but, assuming this is all correct, do i need to bring the proof of address thing from immigration or doctor health certificate stating that i still have a pulse or any other such documents with me? thanks again!

so if i am to understand these replies, my license expires on 17th of october, which coincidentally is a saturday, if i were to go there now, or any time up to and including the 16th, they'd turn me away, and tell me to come back on the 17th or after? that sounds crazy. as some of you said, what if i get in an accident on the 18th? but, then again, this is thailand and i shouldn't expect things to be logical. but, assuming this is all correct, do i need to bring the proof of address thing from immigration or doctor health certificate stating that i still have a pulse or any other such documents with me? thanks again!

May not help but I did mine two weeks early with no problem but not in Samui.

You do not need to wait til expired. You can renew 2 weeks before expire as I did last month in Samui. You will get a 2 year temporary license with a tourist visa. And yes, you need a residence letter from immigration (500 baht) and a doctors cert as well. And you must wear long pants as noted above by Crusty. Good luck.

btw, you need to arrive between 8-9am to check in. On Samui I think they do renewals on Monday, Wednesday and Friday but you might call them to doublecheck on that and all the other information above. They do have English-speaking staff. The telephone number is 077 423 309.

You do not need to wait til expired. You can renew 2 weeks before expire as I did last month in Samui. You will get a 2 year temporary license with a tourist visa. And yes, you need a residence letter from immigration (500 baht) and a doctors cert as well. And you must wear long pants as noted above by Crusty. Good luck.

You shall check in advance if you need a certified medical test for renewal - for 5-year renewals you don't (if they have not changed rules very recently)...

I have been on a tourist visa for yrs...got my DL & renewed in Samui with no problem for 5 yrs....but have to sit through video + take the normal tests...never a problem....Lipa Noi dont give u any hassle..well not for me anyway...does not make any difference what visa you are on...good luck

It is very easy to renew I have now done mine twice however they will not do it until the license has expired in other words you cannot get it renewed the day it expires but you could 6 months after it has expired. Recently I renewed my passport and because they use your passport number on your drivers license I went to The office to have my current license updated they told me that they could not do this got both my passports and put a band around them and handed them back to me , when I asked why they had done this the guy behind the desk told me that if I was stopped by police then I could show them my passports which in turn would validate my drivers license, yet another reason why they call it AMAZING THAILAND !

FYI. I had my DL updated in Samui earlier this year, with change of new PP number AND change of address. It did not extend the time frame of validity, still expiring on its original date, but did get an updated DL. Perhaps it was because of the change of address that allowed it to happen.

• 3 months later...