Bank Refusing To Transfer Funds

Given the circumstances described, and limited information, my suggestion given that it is apparently short term, would be to ask family or friends to assist whilst the card arrives. Then when it arrives you can use it to pay them back.

Not ideal, but a possible solution.

I wonder how the new card is being sent. If it were sent by one of the courier services or EMS and this situation has been going on for any length of time, the card should have arrived by now or very soon.

Depending on the country in which the O/P's bank is located and if he had an account at Bangkok Bank (and maybe one of the other larger Thai banks) he could ask/instruct his home bank to do a domestic transfer to Bangkok Bank in NY or London or wherever using his local Thai account number.

Or possibly he could visit an HSBC branch in Thailand for help. If he could present them with his passport to verify his identity, possibly that would help since I assume his bank is worried about potential fraud.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Given the circumstances described, and limited information, my suggestion given that it is apparently short term, would be to ask family or friends to assist whilst the card arrives. Then when it arrives you can use it to pay them back.

I wonder how the new card is being sent. If it were sent by one of the courier services or EMS and this situation has been going on for any length of time, the card should have arrived by now or very soon.

Depending on the country in which the O/P's bank is located and if he had an account at Bangkok Bank (and maybe one of the other larger Thai banks) he could ask/instruct his home bank to do a domestic transfer to Bangkok Bank in NY or London or wherever using his local Thai account number.

Or possibly he could visit an HSBC branch in Thailand for help. If he could present them with his passport to verify his identity, possibly that would help since I assume his bank is worried about potential fraud.

Which HSBC branch in Thailand do you suggest? Maybe he can pick from one of these:

http://hsbc.banklocationmaps.com/thailand

Edited by chiang mai

HSBC pulled out of Thailand a couple of years ago and ever since then it has been a problem sending money from an HSBC account in another country to Thailand. The only solution for a friend of mine with a HSBC account in the UK was to transfer funds to my UK bank account, not HSBC, then I transferred it to a Thai Bank, there is a cost involved but at least it works. Recently I had to ask for a new replacement card, it was delivered to my UK address within three working days and then couriered out to Thailand by Airmail, arrive four days later, no problem.

Where are you wiring money from (bank/country) and to what bank (a Thai bank?) using what service?

If you use a wire service, the bank takes a share and there would be no reason for the receiving bank to decline to accept the money and hand it over to you.

This makes no sense.

Sounds more like you are trying to get money that does not exist....

HSBC via western union to me.

I had the same reaction. I'm paying for the phone call, the bank account, and even the wire.

HSBC in which country?

If you had a local account, I know HSBC make it quite easy to transfer from them (ex UK) to here, it is quick efficient and cheap.

Edited by jacko45k

Which HSBC branch in Thailand do you suggest? Maybe he can pick from one of these:

There are none in Thailand now.

There are none in Thailand now.

Yes I know, that's why the link provided says there aren't any branches here, duh!

HSBC pulled out of Thailand a couple of years ago and ever since then it has been a problem sending money from an HSBC account in another country to Thailand. The only solution for a friend of mine with a HSBC account in the UK was to transfer funds to my UK bank account, not HSBC, then I transferred it to a Thai Bank, there is a cost involved but at least it works. Recently I had to ask for a new replacement card, it was delivered to my UK address within three working days and then couriered out to Thailand by Airmail, arrive four days later, no problem.

That is simply not true, a transfer from HSBC UK to a bank in Thailand if reliable, quick, cheap and trouble free and this from someone who makes over a dozen transfers a year between the two. Ditto replacement bank cards, I've been receiving them here directly from HSBC UK for over ten years, never a problem.

That is simply not true, a transfer from HSBC UK to a bank in Thailand if reliable, quick, cheap and trouble free and this from someone who makes over a dozen transfers a year between the two. Ditto replacement bank cards, I've been receiving them here directly from HSBC UK for over ten years, never a problem.

Sorry it is TRUE, HSBC are cr...p especially in Thailand

How long does it typically take for the card to arrive ? Week, 10 days maybe ? The OP is stating a month

Wire transfer from a bank requires you visit that bank and fill out a wire transfer agreement - I suspect you have never done that so the only recourse you had as the emergency funds transfer which they have already provided.

Why would it take one month to obtain an emergency card is my question? A courier service could have it here in a couple of days - even normal mail should not take more than a couple weeks. You are willing to pay for expatiated shipment?

If you can not make a domestic transfer to some who can forward can you perhaps borrow from someone until you return - such requests are a normal scam and work so if you call a friend personally would expect they might be able to help.

Actually that is not true with all banks. I was surprised with my credit union in the USA when I wanted to transfer funds internationally they said it could not be done at the bank branch and I needed to call in, which they gave me the number to call. When I called in I had to provide all my info along with security questions answers. I asked about doing online and no was only possible by calling in.

OP check western union online, you can use the information from your checking account (ie routing number and account number) and they will deduct from you checking account.

Otherwise as others have suggested contact family or friends to borrow some money. When I travel I always have an extra credit card that I keep in the hotel and in a different bag when traveling as a back up in case I lose my wallet. Might be an idea in the future. Good luck!

How long does it typically take for the card to arrive ? Week, 10 days maybe ? The OP is stating a month

Exactly, does not make sense.

what??? HSBC sold out several years ago and no longer in Thailand.

Uhm don't you have internet banking for your account in ur home country? Even if your card is gone you should still be able to login and do a simple bank transfer to a Thai account. I don't understand the problem the OP is having at all. Does your bank not have several ways to login to ur account online?

Sorry to say, but maybe never!

I can confirm that my bank in Europe will not send a credit or debit card to Thailand.

My accounts are registered to me at my Thailand address, however Thailand is on their embargoed list for sending cards to.

The initial contact with the bank when I enquire well ahead of expiry date (normally 1+ year's beforehand), no worries we'll post it to your contact address in Thailand, now realising that all is not so simple, I ask them to please recheck if they definitely can. Oh yes no problem to post to you in Thailand. Please recheck. Oops they can now see in their system, sending to Thailand is a big NO.

I have to collect them directly from the bank branch my account is held, or have my address changed to a previous EU address that they can send the card to and I can have it brought out, or sent to me by a friend.

I would somehow call to experdite the new card. Normally only takes 3-5 days.

Also, you provided minimal info to ask advice ... so how can you expect any suggestions.

All we know is it's from HSCB somewhere.

are you sending via Western Union ?

can you fill out the form on the internet and send it to them ?

I guess some banks can be more helpful than others ... sort it out and change banks.

Edited by steven100

I am not sure why more people don't set up Internet Banking in their home country's. It makes life really simple. When I want money sent to Thailand where I live, I connect to my bank in my country of origin and initiate an internet transfer. I usually receive the funds within two days. Some Thai banks will allow anyone to open an account here, regardless of their Visa status, and provide an ATM card.

HSBC retail pulled out of Thailand a few years ago!

Sorry to say, but maybe never!

I can confirm that my bank in Europe will not send a credit or debit card to Thailand.

My accounts are registered to me at my Thailand address, however Thailand is on their embargoed list for sending cards to.

The initial contact with the bank when I enquire well ahead of expiry date (normally 1+ year's beforehand), no worries we'll post it to your contact address in Thailand, now realising that all is not so simple, I ask them to please recheck if they definitely can. Oh yes no problem to post to you in Thailand. Please recheck. Oops they can now see in their system, sending to Thailand is a big NO.

I have to collect them directly from the bank branch my account is held, or have my address changed to a previous EU address that they can send the card to and I can have it brought out, or sent to me by a friend.

We are talking specically about HSBC in the UK and as "chiang mai" has stated HSBC has been sending him cards in Thailand for the last 10 years, the OP banks with HSBC so would it fair to stay HSBC will send the card to Thailand ?

I would somehow call to experdite the new card. Normally only takes 3-5 days.

Also, you provided minimal info to ask advice ... so how can you expect any suggestions.

All we know is it's from HSCB somewhere.

are you sending via Western Union ?

can you fill out the form on the internet and send it to them ?

I guess some banks can be more helpful than others ... sort it out and change banks.

I bank with Citi in Singapore and honestly when i have been sent a new card, from talking to them to DHL knocking on my door in Thailand with the new card 2 to 3 days tops

Somewhere in the OP's bank system there should be a form called International Telegraphic Transfer or similar description. I'd be astonished if there was not also a "Contact Us" link. It's a matter of tracking them down.

I've filled out such a form in Thailand, scanned and attached it to an email, which then transferred substantial funds to a Thai bank account.

While it's hindsight, depending on only one source of funding in any country, let alone Thailand, is asking for trouble.

The only logic here is that the OP is a troll

Dont think he is troll, think he is confused and maybe out of his depth with international travel, forward planning, and understanding what a bank will and wont do in these sorts of circumstances

Strikes me as an older gentleman, possibly on pension, who hasnt travelled much has come to Thailand to see the temples, lost or broke his card called the bank and says he wants money now and has got upset because the bank will not do what he wants

The laws on banking are forever changing and not for the looser. It really helps to have a bank manager who knows you and will help out. Of course, that has to be done beforehand. Being able to plan in advance is quite advantageous.

This will not answer your question for now, but I doubt anyone here has any unique ideas that convince your bank to send you money. Next time. Always have a back-up plan.

This happened to me for some years ago, also HSBC in U.S. I lost my card and they said they sent a new but did never received it. A friend had to log on my account and do a wire to his account and then send the money to me. I changed to chase when I came home. The HSBC in U.S. Have terrible customer service. Last year when I was here chase had to issue new debit cards due to a hack at Home Depot. I called them told that I was here and they fed ex my new card to Thailand, got it in 3 business days, they have excellent service if something happens. I also learned that it's a good idea to have someone you trust have access to your account in case something happens.

I binned HSBC years ago cos they were crap

I'll second that.

HSBC ?

= Horrible Selfish Bankster Corporation ,

Well known to be one of the Worst Banks ...!

Where are you wiring money from (bank/country) and to what bank (a Thai bank?) using what service?

If you use a wire service, the bank takes a share and there would be no reason for the receiving bank to decline to accept the money and hand it over to you.

This makes no sense.

Sounds more like you are trying to get money that does not exist....

HSBC via western union to me.

I had the same reaction. I'm paying for the phone call, the bank account, and even the wire.