Once you have a visa, just the reason for extension changes?

Once you have a valid visa am I right in thinking that just the reason for extension changes when your current permission to stay expires?

I have a non-imm o (from Hull in the UK initially based on marriage) and the last few years I have extended it based on marriage but I'm now working and want to free up the 400k I've previously needed for a good investment opportunity.

But when I asked recently at immigration if I can extend based on working they said I can't and must apply for a new non-imm b outside of Thailand? Is this correct?

You can extend again with a Non 'O' based on marriage because you are allowed to get a work permit with that extension.

You can extend with 400k in the bank or use the income from you job.

Thanks, I know that, what I am asking is can I extend a non-imm o visa for any other reason than marriage? I'm working with a WP so qualify for an extension based on employment but was recently told at immigration I have to apply for a new non-imm b outside of Thailand, why can't I just apply for an extension based on work?

Edited by pastafarian

Thanks, I know that, what I am asking is can I extend a non-imm o visa for any other reason than marriage? I'm working with a WP so qualify for an extension based on employment but was recently told at immigration I have to apply for a new non-imm b outside of Thailand, why can't I just apply for an extension based on work?

I'm not sure I understand why you would want to.

If you want to extend for the reason of work then you need an Non B. But you don't need a Non B because you have a Non O that allows you to work already.

Extending an Non B would be conditional on being employed and earning 50k per month (maybe less depending on your nationality). If you are earning more than 40k per month you can use that income to extend your Non O on the basis of being married and can take the money from the bank.

If you want to extend for the reason of work then you need an Non B. But you don't need a Non B because you have a Non O that allows you to work already.

Extending an Non B would be conditional on being employed and earning 50k per month (maybe less depending on your nationality). If you are earning more than 40k per month you can use that income to extend your Non O on the basis of being married and can take the money from the bank.

I have a very good investment opportunity which is why I want to free up the 400k I've used previously. I do make enough per month but if you are doing it that way instead of the lump sum 400k in the bank then you need to show the previous year's tax return showing you paid tax on at least 40k per month but I've not been working long enough to do that.

You have been well advised by immigration. Currently your extension of stay is not linked to your work.

Immigration may well require you to obtain a "B" visa if you wish to have an extension based on work. Be aware that you may have to demonstrate an income which exceeds 400,000.

Which immigration office do you use ?

I have a very good investment opportunity which is why I want to free up the 400k I've used previously. I do make enough per month but if you are doing it that way instead of the lump sum 400k in the bank then you need to show the previous year's tax return showing you paid tax on at least 40k per month but I've not been working long enough to do that.

Ok I understand your problem.

But as said if you go and get a Non B and then extend it based on work you will need to be paid a minimum income to get the extension. What nationality are you?

Im from the UK and work as a lecturer so don't think the minimum monthly salary is applicable.

Yes, as long as the educational institute you're working at qualifies. My apologies if I have over complicated your very simple question.

"But when I asked recently at immigration if I can extend based on working they said I can't and must apply for a new non-imm b outside of Thailand? Is this correct?"

​The answer is yes. You cannot extend a Non 'O' for the reason of work. If you want to apply for an extension of stay for the reason of work you will need a Non 'B' visa which you can get from an Embassy/Consulate in a neighbouring country with the right paperwork from your employer.

"why can't I just apply for an extension based on work?"

'O' and 'B' categories are both Non Immigrant visas but a 'B' is specifically for working and the only one that can be extended for the reason of work.

I'm sure you know but incase not you don't. You don't need to keep the 400k in the bank once an extension for marriage has been granted. So if you can extend on the basis of marriage before you need the money for your investment you could release the funds on the granting of the extension and consider your options again next year. You can apply for the extension 30 days (some offices 45) before the existing extension finishes. One final point. If you have Thai children some immigration offices will waive the need to keep the 400k in the bank for 2 months and only need to see it in the bank on the day of application.

• Like 1

If your immigration office wants to see a non-B visa in your passport for your application of extension of stay for the reason of employment, you have no choice but to go and get a single-entry non-B visa.

There was a time when most immigration offices allowed a change from marriage extension to employment extension but reports by members indicate that this has changed.