‘We Don’t Protect Rapists Here’, after British had been cleared

geovalin

Khmer Times/Jack Laurenson

KAMPOT (Khmer Times) – For Kampot deputy prosecutor Khan Sophal, the rape case that made headlines here and in the UK is all but closed.

The crucial evidence exonerating British national Nick Laycock of the charge filed against him by a 22-year-old British tourist was CCTV footage taken at Arcadia Backpackers guesthouse on the night the incident – August 21.

After the young woman who filed the charge saw the video, she decided to drop the charge, Mr. Sophal said. “She saw the video and realized that she did not have full consciousness during that time, and she decided to drop the case.”

read more: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/15253/---we-don---t-protect-rapists-here---/

RELATED: Briton arrested in Cambodia for 'violent rape' of British woman at backpackers hotel

After the young woman who filed the charge saw the video, she decided to drop the charge, Mr. Sophal said. “She saw the video and realized that she did not have full consciousness during that time, and she decided to drop the case.”

Stupid woman, I hope they dont let her of the hook that easy ...

In some countries not having full consciousness means the female is considered incapable of agreeing to sex. Taking advantage of someone whose drunk and/or drugged will get you prosecuted for rape.

I haven't seen the tapes so have no idea. But, from this Police comment he could be a very lucky young man. Had that have been in the UK he could well have been facing a serious charge.

Sounds like the owner of the guest house is more interested in trying to protect the "good" name of his business rather then protecting his guests.

Dismissing a complaint of an(other) alleged rape by saying she probably just fell over is disgusting.

This article should be shared widely on social media so any female tourists can boycott this business.

Looked to me like the girl was on drugs and couldn't control her motor skills, fell down and got hurt. I didn't see where she was complaining about sex, just assumed rape if she had bruises and such. The guy was fortunate he didn't have to go to trial with ThaiVisa members as his jury.

In some countries not having full consciousness means the female is considered incapable of agreeing to sex. Taking advantage of someone whose drunk and/or drugged will get you prosecuted for rape.

I haven't seen the tapes so have no idea. But, from this Police comment he could be a very lucky young man. Had that have been in the UK he could well have been facing a serious charge.

Some countries go way too far.

Yes, but the law should be prosecuted both ways, if a man does not have full consciousness

the woman should also be prosecuted as he also is not able to fully consent. Just as a

woman getting wet during rape is considered a biological response and is not considered

consent, an erection is also considered a biological response and is not consent. You

cannot have a law that applies to only one sex. whistling.gif

Yes he could be facing serious charges in the uk, subject to uk law, but this is Cambodia where it is the wild west, $$$$ rule here, who has more wins. If you live here you would know.

Sounds like the owner of the guest house is more interested in trying to protect the "good" name of his business rather then protecting his guests.

Dismissing a complaint of an(other) alleged rape by saying she probably just fell over is disgusting.

This article should be shared widely on social media so any female tourists can boycott this business.

what you F*** talking about? The video proved she lied about an injury. Get it ? jeeez

what you F*** talking about? The video proved she lied about an injury. Get it ? jeeez

Read the complete article in the link.

There were a number of other girls involved over time, not just the one involved in the rape allegation.

The blokes record back in the UK is nothing to be proud of either.

Sounds like another violent thug who simply cannot link cause and consequence in any meaningful manner so he travels to SEA with the delusion he can carry on with little to worry about. .

....Read the complete article in the link.

Exactly what most of the people replying here appear not to have done....

Mind you, the details in this article are somewhat at odds with details in prior articles. And in my experience inaccuracies in news reports are pretty common. I would personally not draw any firm conclusions about guilt or innocence from them.

Watched the video,

At the start she leads him by the hand.

(the encounter happens off camera)

After, they cuddle and she again holds his hand as they walk off.

Do women normally cuddle and hold hands with a guy that raped them?

And as predicted, she only withdraws her accusation after the video was shown to her and her friends.

She should be named and jailed.

It's only fair.

Edited by MaeJoMTB