Thai politics: Concept of 'transitional democracy' needs explanation

webfact

To Jesimps....'The military rescued the country from something it helped plan and stood by and let happen. This because a certain event will happen in the not too distant future which we aren't allowed to talk about'.

Meethinks you may be spot on ... no way would the established elite allow the unthinkable to happen. The feudal system must be protected (rescued?) at all costs.

The problem in Thailand is no one really knows actually what the electorate wants or who they really would vote for. Many of the prior elected politicians bought their votes and gave certain Districts loads of 'pork'' If a real vote were held- in which all vote buying and concessions were able to be stopped- we all might be surprised who will emerge. Thailand has followed the United States example of Materialistic Democracy and Capitalism. It is starting to implode in the United States and has imploded already in Thailand. Most Thais I know support the coup and the government in place. The Generals are trying to root out as much corruption as possible and doing a better job than any of the politicians that came before them, If an election were held today and General Prayut ran- he would win. He is a straight talker sometimes irritated by nonsense questions and not a politician. The Shin Clique attempted to stay in power through money politics, not because they loved their country, but because they loved themselves. They even sold one of the key telcoms they owned to a foreign country-Singapore- an indication that they could care less about Thailand. Do the Red Shirts have a just cause. They do and so do the rest of other Thais.However, there are ways to express these causes without violence. There are a lot of things that need reforming in Thailand and a need for long standing traditions to remain in place as well as preservation of Thai culture. I believe the General is a Thai patriot who could no longer sit by while his country was burning . It doesn't matter really what any of us think. It is up to the Thai people to chart their own destiny. We may live here, but we live as guests.

Bla Bla Bla. Democracy is imploding and most Thais support the coup.

None of which you have any proof

Are these the same Thais deemed by some Thais to thick to understand democracy?

Thai dream. A dream that few in the world would like to emulate, at least in terms of politics.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Do I have any formal proof- Of course not. However, having been in and associated with Thailand for almost 50 years and able to speak Thai- I have a pretty good pulse on what Thai people think. Most of the people I speak with like the General and what he is trying to do. If you have another opinion- that is of course, your choice.

The problem in Thailand is no one really knows actually what the electorate wants or who they really would vote for. Many of the prior elected politicians bought their votes and gave certain Districts loads of 'pork'' If a real vote were held- in which all vote buying and concessions were able to be stopped- we all might be surprised who will emerge. Thailand has followed the United States example of Materialistic Democracy and Capitalism. It is starting to implode in the United States and has imploded already in Thailand. Most Thais I know support the coup and the government in place. The Generals are trying to root out as much corruption as possible and doing a better job than any of the politicians that came before them, If an election were held today and General Prayut ran- he would win. He is a straight talker sometimes irritated by nonsense questions and not a politician. The Shin Clique attempted to stay in power through money politics, not because they loved their country, but because they loved themselves. They even sold one of the key telcoms they owned to a foreign country-Singapore- an indication that they could care less about Thailand. Do the Red Shirts have a just cause. They do and so do the rest of other Thais.However, there are ways to express these causes without violence. There are a lot of things that need reforming in Thailand and a need for long standing traditions to remain in place as well as preservation of Thai culture. I believe the General is a Thai patriot who could no longer sit by while his country was burning . It doesn't matter really what any of us think. It is up to the Thai people to chart their own destiny. We may live here, but we live as guests.

I remember listening to a Thai academic at a public forum where he said ..'Every time we give them (Issan / Red Shirts) the vote they continue to vote the wrong way" . I thought he was joking but he wasn't and the sad thing was what his statement revealed about him and his ilk; namely the repugnant concept that we (the elite) generously give to the masses a gift for which they ungratefully throw back in our face. How patronising and how true a reflection of how Thai society operates. This is the ugly reality of Thai society and politics. You see, the people I talk with hate Prayut, his coup his government. Reading your post one would think that Thaksin was the only corrupt politician and that before his time everything was good in the Land of Smiles; and there is the rub.. the idea that somehow Prayut can return Thailand to its natural state where the elite rule and the peons know their place.

Read my earlier post above and you will understand ... wheels within wheels within wheels.

Do I have any formal proof- Of course not. However, having been in and associated with Thailand for almost 50 years and able to speak Thai- I have a pretty good pulse on what Thai people think. Most of the people I speak with like the General and what he is trying to do. If you have another opinion- that is of course, your choice.

Well, that if course is incredibly subjective, open to bias and wouldn't be supported by a general election, so it's moot. I was in Thailand a long time too. That means nothing.

Of course, they might also be quite scared to elucidate the fact that they hate the coup, since that leads to 2 weeks re-education. Speaking on behalf of 60 mn people from personal experience is no less valid than talking to old people about global warming, who claim the weather has changed...

Thailand needs to grow up and actually realise that seeing the army as some safe port of call is a fallacy anyway. Until the cycle of coups stops, nothing is really going to get better.

You have a point- and I certainly do not think Thaksin was the only corrupt politician. I remember many of them and have been through a number of coups. I can think of very few Thai politicians or prior coup leaders before the General that really made any difference in the country. However, I believe General Praut is a different breed. I do not believe he wants to hold back Thais getting a better education, more opportunities to advance economically or simply to enjoy a better quality of life.Nor does he want a country that caters to only the elite. However, he wants to uphold certain traditions and Thai culture that makes Thailand unique in the World.There are some in the opposition that want Thailand to emulate the West which would be a direct assault on Thai culture and tradition.Why anyone would want Thailand to be like the West is beyond comprehension except that it would mean more money for the already wealthy. When he speaks he speaks authoritatively because he knows what has to be done and he knows he has little time to do it.

As I mentioned the people I talk to like what he has accomplished. To those who may not care for him- I ask the question- who would you rather have. Most can't come up with an alternative.

I don't care if Prayut is well intentioned. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

yes but if you have the choice between an army guy who isn't very smart but has good intentions, or a criminal who is smart, but also crazy and surely has no good intentions. I would take the army guy....

The bad thing is that there aren't many other choices....Well beside Abhisit but that also didn't work well last time.....

You have a point- and I certainly do not think Thaksin was the only corrupt politician. I remember many of them and have been through a number of coups. I can think of very few Thai politicians or prior coup leaders before the General that really made any difference in the country. However, I believe General Praut is a different breed. I do not believe he wants to hold back Thais getting a better education, more opportunities to advance economically or simply to enjoy a better quality of life.Nor does he want a country that caters to only the elite. However, he wants to uphold certain traditions and Thai culture that makes Thailand unique in the World.There are some in the opposition that want Thailand to emulate the West which would be a direct assault on Thai culture and tradition.Why anyone would want Thailand to be like the West is beyond comprehension except that it would mean more money for the already wealthy. When he speaks he speaks authoritatively because he knows what has to be done and he knows he has little time to do it.

As I mentioned the people I talk to like what he has accomplished. To those who may not care for him- I ask the question- who would you rather have. Most can't come up with an alternative.

You are exceedingly naive he wants to maintain the status quo which has produced today's wealth level, level of education and and the position Thailand is today.

Thailand needs to change and he and his ilk is the problem not the solution.

With 17 coups in 80 years, Thailand isn't even getting close to emulating the west. Blaming the west for a broken democracy when Thais keep breaking it, is a very poor smokescreen.

Thailand problems are all Thai made not western.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Mind boggling disenguous. Because the military has seized power in twice in 10 years Thailand isn't ready for democracy. How about the problem lies with the military's ability to circumvent the people's wishes by seizing power is the problem. Basically this new charter theoretically removes that risk because the military doesn't relinquish power this time.

Look why the military has seized power.....they didn't do it for fun. Both times it was a last minute rescue for Thailand. Better a coup than civil war.

Strange enough the ongoing war in the South with over 2,400 casualties was never a reason to "rescue Thailand". Nor was the 2010 unrest with Central Bangkok burning down and many more casualties than 2014.

Transition is a state in which the human race and the human civilization has been since its beginning. That is no reason to deny it true democracy.

Waiting for reconciliation? When will the military government start with reconciliation? So far the opposite is happening.

But one thing must be mentioned: Finally the military government and its agencies admit that this new constitution will NOT bring democracy nor reconciliation nor human rights.

Mind boggling disenguous. Because the military has seized power in twice in 10 years Thailand isn't ready for democracy. How about the problem lies with the military's ability to circumvent the people's wishes by seizing power is the problem. Basically this new charter theoretically removes that risk because the military doesn't relinquish power this time.

Look why the military has seized power.....they didn't do it for fun. Both times it was a last minute rescue for Thailand. Better a coup than civil war.

Better a coup than civil war.

cheesy.gif

sir, there was NEVER any remote possibility of a civil war.

In theater, the curtain always comes down at the end of the play.

That was May 22, 2014.

sir, there was NEVER any remote possibility of a civil war.

Are you prepared to wager? I am.

That was May 22, 2014.

Not exactly the end, more the beginning perhaps. I am firmly of the view that the army, like children, have gone several steps beyond their entitlement. They will need to pay the piper at some point.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

I remember listening to a Thai academic at a public forum where he said ..'Every time we give them (Issan / Red Shirts) the vote they continue to vote the wrong way" . I thought he was joking but he wasn't and the sad thing was what his statement revealed about him and his ilk; namely the repugnant concept that we (the elite) generously give to the masses a gift for which they ungratefully throw back in our face. How patronising and how true a reflection of how Thai society operates. This is the ugly reality of Thai society and politics. You see, the people I talk with hate Prayut, his coup his government. Reading your post one would think that Thaksin was the only corrupt politician and that before his time everything was good in the Land of Smiles; and there is the rub.. the idea that somehow Prayut can return Thailand to its natural state where the elite rule and the peons know their place.

Read my earlier post above and you will understand ... wheels within wheels within wheels.

I'd like to chime in on both posts, because I think you two have a large part of the debate summed up right here.
To Thaidream: I talk to my university students often about democratization, and how a successful process could get underway in Thailand. I am an American, and the first thing I tell them is not to do what America (or the West) tells you regarding democatization. First, it's possible that the West seeks it's own advantage through global democratization. More importantly though, democracy has to form from the culture of the society that is trying to make it work. We had Locke and Montesquieu. Thailand did not. We had the Glorious Revolution and the American Revolution and French Revolution...and the best they have is 1932. Thailand has to dig down into itself to find democracy, and they have to remember that at it's base, democracy mean devolving power to the common people. Elections are a way of doing it, and make good sense if your entire population accept that framework. Thailand, and probably the whole world, had gotten so obsessed with formal democracy that we've forgotten to empower the people. If Thailand wants democracy, they need to find a way of doing that from their own culture, traditions and social contract. IT WON'T BE EASY.
To Onelasttime: You have put your finger on the most important issue keeping the emergence of a Thai culture democracy from emerging. The notion of status. Status relates to how much social power one wields, how much one is able to discern truth in others' speech and motives, and importantly that one's status determines one's rights. You only have rights vis a vis those below you, people above you can abrogate them if they wish because they had better past lives. The Thai social contract dictates that higher status people usually do not abrogate rights, at least for no reason. And the PDRC decided that, as the ammat, they could abrogate the voting rights of the majority of Thai voters...because they were voting "wrong". We in the West are accustomed to inalienable rights and the sense of full personhood. It in the basis of out political system. Thailand does not have this, and we can't teach it to them. They have to find their own way to empower people, not pretend that their culture and social contract as somehow suddenly changed because the 1997 Constitution looked liberal. I don't know the answer, but I have a sense of the questions to ask students at my school. I hope it works.
Edited by metisdead

Strange enough the ongoing war in the South with over 2,400 casualties was never a reason to "rescue Thailand". Nor was the 2010 unrest with Central Bangkok burning down and many more casualties than 2014.

Transition is a state in which the human race and the human civilization has been since its beginning. That is no reason to deny it true democracy.

Waiting for reconciliation? When will the military government start with reconciliation? So far the opposite is happening.

But one thing must be mentioned: Finally the military government and its agencies admit that this new constitution will NOT bring democracy nor reconciliation nor human rights.

And they sing the same old tune - Surayud's refrain; "if it's not perfect, vote for it anyway - you can change it later". Except of course their mates in the courts won't let them do that at all.

Fooled me once, shame on you. Fooled me twice, shame on me.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

No doubt those who propagate this lie hope that by constant repetition the truth will be submerged.No serious observer believes that the military stepped in to prevent a civil war - even those who were on balance in favour of a coup.

I don't care if Prayut is well intentioned. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Similarly, I don't care oiif he is well-intentioned and I don't believe he is.

He was handed his agenda by a small cabal near the top, and he quite fancied the prospect of being 'the saviour of Thailand'. In his own eyes anyway.

This is the only way to explain all the things he knows better than anyone else and his (now rapidly dissolving) belief that however crass, stupid and irrational he is, the Thai people still love him.

Which the majority don't, as he will discover soon enough.

No doubt those who propagate this lie hope that by constant repetition the truth will be submerged.No serious observer believes that the military stepped in to prevent a civil war - even those who were on balance in favour of a coup.

Ah yes. The lie, oft enough told, becomes the truth. That is the whole point of employing mouthpieces like Winthai and Sanserm - they're more skilled at lying with a straight face than Prayuth. Prayuth is almost completely transparent to anyone brighter than a carrot.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

Ah yes. The lie, oft enough told, becomes the truth. That is the whole point of employing mouthpieces like Winthai and Sanserm - they're more skilled at lying with a straight face than Prayuth. Prayuth is almost completely transparent to anyone brighter than a carrot.

It actually pays to take everything they have to say and turn it to a negative.

Prayuth recommends u should vote for it.

Actually u shouldn't.

They need transition democracy.

Actually they don't, they need democracy.

The failures are because of Western democracy.

They aren't, they are failing of Thailand completely.

These people are complete snakes.

It actually pays to take everything they have to say and turn it to a negative.

Prayuth recommends u should vote for it.

Actually u shouldn't.

They need transition democracy.

Actually they don't, they need democracy.

The failures are because of Western democracy.

They aren't, they are failing of Thailand completely.

These people are complete snakes.

Amen.

If a Thai fords a river into the US or overstays their visa, they immediately become an "undocumented immigrant." If an American legally works in Thailand for a decade, works, pays taxes, has children and learns Thai, they are called a "guest." One of those two definitions has to be wrong.

Yes big brother does know best. Every fight must have a referee. Well back to my reading this book by George Orwell 1984 is really interesting.

And it would be better if you replace Prayut with Thaksin?

Maybe, maybe not. But the Thai people would have the choice. That is the point that you and many others on this forum resolutely avoid answering.

A few, very few, are prepared to come out and say that they do not think the Thais should be allowed that choice. I absolutely disagree with them, but I credit them with saying what they think. The rest dissemble, hedge round the argument or just ignore it - yet it is the most fundamental point in the whole sorry mess which is the country's current political situation.

I like this and your follow-up post too. I agree with most of it, and I think you phrased it very well. One point I disagree on is the "capitalism" thing. Capitalism is not a US problem, or any problem, capitalism is a global solution. There is no better social system than capitalism. The problem in the US is that they changed from the functioning system of "manufacture capitalism" to the flawed system of "finance capitalism" in the late 20C and the average standard of living fell by 80% overall. Manufacture capitalism is the essence of human society, it is the direct progression from our very first tool-making tribal ancestors. It is based on constantly-upgraded infrastructure and healthy working communities, upward mobility, jobs for life, and zero debt. Finance capitalism is the polar opposite, endless short-cuts, crumbling infrastructure, sick working communities and debt as standard.

Transitional democracy is a cute phrase, and superfluous. The mechanics of a functioning democratic State demand vigilant internal checks-and-balances, strict regulations, and a tireless system of removing corrupt or non-kinetic parts from the State machinery. Democracy can not function when mired in macro-corruption, which chokes the system from within. So while "transitional democracy" is a nice positive phrase, but what actually matters is that the State system is well-regulated, efficient and reliable. After that you can put a pretty bow ontop of it and call it democracy or whatever, so long as the system has enough integrity for working communities and successful businesses to have faith in it.

I like this and your follow-up post too. I agree with most of it, and I think you phrased it very well. One point I disagree on is the "capitalism" thing. Capitalism is not a US problem, or any problem, capitalism is a global solution. There is no better social system than capitalism. The problem in the US is that they changed from the functioning system of "manufacture capitalism" to the flawed system of "finance capitalism" in the late 20C and the average standard of living fell by 80% overall. Manufacture capitalism is the essence of human society, it is the direct progression from our very first tool-making tribal ancestors. It is based on constantly-upgraded infrastructure and healthy working communities, upward mobility, jobs for life, and zero debt. Finance capitalism is the polar opposite, endless short-cuts, crumbling infrastructure, sick working communities and debt as standard.

Transitional democracy is a cute phrase, and superfluous. The mechanics of a functioning democratic State demand vigilant internal checks-and-balances, strict regulations, and a tireless system of removing corrupt or non-kinetic parts from the State machinery. Democracy can not function when mired in macro-corruption, which chokes the system from within. So while "transitional democracy" is a nice positive phrase, but what actually matters is that the State system is well-regulated, efficient and reliable. After that you can put a pretty bow ontop of it and call it democracy or whatever, so long as the system has enough integrity for working communities and successful businesses to have faith in it.

Thailand has an incredibly unequal society with one of the worst wealth and land distributions in the world.

All built up over 70 years through the existing system. Do you honestly believe Prayuth is here to break that down?

Are people on here really that naive?

There is no better wealth creating and distributing system than a liberal democracy. So why if they care so much do they persist in preventing democracy taking roots?

And no its not corruption. The very first pad protest where they stormed the parliament was fronted front and centre by the Democrat MP daughter of Bangkok bank alongside Sondhi.

This is not about democracy or freedom this is about preventing new businesses to the table to compete in old standing markets.

Stop being fooled by these liars in green, yellow and red too. They refuse to teach what democracy is and reform the country because it suits them not to do so.

But, worse than persisting with an imperfect democracy is constantly going 5 steps back with a coup.

Edited by Thai at Heart