Do they want farang retirees here?

Kenny202

You invite yourself. 'Nuff said.

I'm not complaining. I only wanted to know what the party line is..maybe there isn't one. And before any of the other "if u don't like it leave" people who generally don't have any facts, information or anything useful or positive to add jump in....I come from Australia...a country who spends a huge percentage of taxpayers (my) dollars on accommodating and appeasing immigrants and refugees including a large Thai population...to the point you probably have more rights being a foreigner. I'm not the type to go to another country to live and bitterly complain things not like home but there is another side to that story often forgotten here

So you are still resident in Australia Kenny, otherwise you are not an Australian taxpayer and they are not your dollars. I also doubt if Australia spends anything much on Thai immigrants, at least in terms of percentages of GDP and certainly next to nothing on Thai refugees, if indeed there are any and I doubt if there are.

Unless you are deemed to be a refugee and a hell of a lot of assylum seekers are held not to be you certainly, don't have any more rights being a foreigner, You are either deported when you are held not to be a refugee or held in a detention center awaiting deportation. Wven before you are held to be a refugee you are held in a detention centre often for years, I hope you are not suggesting that meals behind bars The estimate of Thai born Australians as a percentage of total population in 2014 was 6%

I am sure that a lot of Thais feel the same way about you as you feel about immigrants and refugees.

I might add I hold no particular brief for assylum seekers especially economic migrants, but I just don't appreciate Bull#^%t either

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thet don't want us here. Otherwise they would allow us to buy house/land to have a secured and safe life up to the end. They are only looking how to get our money. The best would be for them we would leave our money here and dissapear or die!

I am not sure why people get so hung up on the owning land/house thing.

If the Thai government decides that foreigners are not welcome, they are not going to give one tin shit about whether you own land or a house here. In fact, you would be out more, because now that investment you made would go to ???? when they ship you out.

On the flip side of this argument, I have never understood why people in other countries get so wound up when foreigners come in and buy up properties...what are they going to do, take it with them? The Japanese lost their asses buying up expensive properties in USA years ago when the real estate market subsequently regressed.

At the core, we do not own real estate, we rent it from the government...that is what our tax payments are, in effect.

I am not sure why people get so hung up on the owning land/house thing

If a Thai (e.g. the Thai prince) comes into my home country , he can buy whatever he wants. Land, houses, condos, aso. But the other way round we cannot.

Also a property you buy here you can't give to your kids later. So it's lost investment. You think it's a good feeling?

So you are restricted to buy a condo only. This you can give after you passed away to your kids... (in Vietnam you can buy for 100 years....)

thet don't want us here. Otherwise they would allow us to buy house/land to have a secured and safe life up to the end. They are only looking how to get our money. The best would be for them we would leave our money here and dissapear or die!

If the Thai government decides that foreigners are not welcome, they are not going to give one tin shit about whether you own land or a house here. In fact, you would be out more, because now that investment you made would go to ???? when they ship you out.

On the flip side of this argument, I have never understood why people in other countries get so wound up when foreigners come in and buy up properties...what are they going to do, take it with them? The Japanese lost their asses buying up expensive properties in USA years ago when the real estate market subsequently regressed.

At the core, we do not own real estate, we rent it from the government...that is what our tax payments are, in effect.

If a Thai (e.g. the Thai prince) comes into my home country , he can buy whatever he wants. Land, houses, condos, aso. But the other way round we cannot.

Also a property you buy here you can't give to your kids later. So it's lost investment. You think it's a good feeling?

So you are restricted to buy a condo only. This you can give after you passed away to your kids... (in Vietnam you can buy for 100 years....)

I do not care what someone who emigrates to my country can do. It is irrelevant to what I can do in Thailand.

Property I (read: my wife) buy here will go to my Thai step-daughter...I am fine with that. I cannot leave it to my son in USA, but that is fine. I have assets in USA that will go to him when I am reduced to ashes. If he wants to follow in the old man's footsteps and come to Thailand he can do his own deal here.

What one can do in Vietnam is also irrelevant to this conversation.

It's easy to say Thais have the right to buy in our countries knowing most of them can't afford it.

There aren't that many Thai princes but there are plenty of British plumbers, American electricians, French carpenters and Australian bus drivers - many of whom can afford to buy assets in Thailand because of the exchange rate disparity.

The Thai government isn't here to give you a "good feeling" by letting you buy up real estate and land from under the noses of their own people.

Buy if you want but know the rules.

If you don't like those rules, then don't buy - go to Vietnam

Cypress Hill I agree with you. After living, driving loving,drinking, working & running a business here I have never had any other attitude

shown to me but courtesy.

Only last week getting my re entry permit it was nothing but joking, & sanook with immigration officials for the 12 minutes it took.

Some of these grizzlers should maybe look at their own attitudes which maybe rub off on officials.

As to the supposed hassles of living & retiring here again, look to some other countries, much more difficult

One more time I will say if you cannot provide evidence of sufficient funding to support yourself for the year,

you should not be here.!!! Why should this country have to take the risk?

I do not care what someone who emigrates to my country can do. It is irrelevant to what I can do in Thailand.

Property I (read: my wife) buy here will go to my Thai step-daughter...I am fine with that. I cannot leave it to my son in USA, but that is fine. I have assets in USA that will go to him when I am reduced to ashes. If he wants to follow in the old man's footsteps and come to Thailand he can do his own deal here.

What one can do in Vietnam is also irrelevant to this conversation.

That is absolutely right. This is Thailand. Not the same country where you came from. This is what Thailand has to offer. Take it or leave it.

There are plenty of countries where foreigners can't own land/property. Why should Thailand have to change only to satisfy farang's convenience (which contributes to very very small fraction of its entire economy). Same as yours or any country, Thailand's top priority should be protecting its own national interests.

IMHO the Thais are quite smart in restricting property ownership. When you look at what's happening in Australia ( Sydney and Melbourne in particular ) the country is being sold off to the highest bidder, and screw national interest.

Obviously, those complaining about Thai bureaucracy have not experienced Australian beraucracy in full flight. Go to any Centrelink office if a comparison is needed.

At least here you can pay an agent to smooth the way. Those willing to queue for hours are possibly regarded by Thai officials as tightwads or financially challenged, and treated accordingly.

bureaurocracy,, englands gone nuts ,, walked into 2 banks yesterday wanting to open a new account with the right id passport ect ect they both said great, we' ve an open appointment in

2 weeks..

rijit

Edited by rijit

with all respect that may be more of a personal opinion rather than govt policy. Same as Ur treatment at immigration probably more a reflection of the individual or general work ethic of govt "service" depts. I have to say most at Khonkaen office brilliant and actually seem to enjoy their day.

The govt must have some policy or outlook towards retirees. It must boost the economy / modernise the locale in some areas and that seems to be what they want now.

Where I come from actions speak louder that words. Successive governments have done very little to get rid of the pointless bureaucracy and inefficient procedures that make life unpleasant for expats.

Sheryl in a recent post mentioned how it took her several days of travel and effort for each annual extension. Another poster said he was suddenly faced, after 10 years of married life here with loads of additional requirements for extension, including intrusive questioning into his sex life. When I did my last extension at Chaeng Wattana (which only took 7 hours of waiting), there was an elderly, very frail man in a wheelchair. He arrived after me, by which time the queue had built up even more. It's simply inhumane treatment and shows official contempt for the service users. If I had to point to improvements over the last ten years I can only think of a few that have benefited me: opening more provincial offices, appointment booking for extensions at Chaeng Wattana (which worked for less than a month before being scrapped), 90 day reporting online. No change in policy at all that I can bring to mind.

As for government policy, well they pour vast sums of money into the Tourist Authority of Thailand, which seems at best to be very ineffectual. They (the government) don't do anything to promote retirement in Thailand. (Compare with our neighbour next door with "Malaysia my second home", which includes a 10 year visa, allows property ownership, tax-free import of a car, a national ID card, part time working, tax free interest on bank accounts, and all required documentation can be provided in English.)

So, whilst retirees may well boost the economy, governmental xenophobia means that they don't want to promote long staying foreigners. In their minds the tourists who come for a fortnight and quickly dump all their cash here is what is wanted.

I think you are being a bit of a drama queen.

In five years my extensions have never taken over an hour.

A few hundred thousand expat retirees don't really contribute anywhere near what 65 million Thais and the millions of tourists .

Edited by duanebigsby

When I first arrived in Thailand almost 50 years ago- the maximum stay was 15 days, however an extension could be had if you put the equivalent of $1000 in a Thai Bank. There were no marriage visas or retirement visas. During the Prem government in the 80' Thailand decided to liberalize their Immigration policies creating new Visa classes and allowing people to stay longer, retire, Marry etc. In the 60" when I first game , you hardly ever saw a farang and Thais would stare at you as you were an oddity. A string of Thai governments have made obtaining Visas and long term stays fairly easy. Thailand has never allowed a non Thai to own land although long term leases are possible. This is to protect citizens rights. Most Western nations do allow foreigners to purchase land but it is tough to get into a Western Country for a Thai citizen. My long term experience in Thailand has been mostly positive- I do feel welcome; Mostly good experiences at Immigration; treated with courtesy and respect at almost all businesses. I think the key to living happily in Thailand is to simply adjust to the Thai way of doing things . Remember, Thai people get irritated about many of the things we get irritated about- but they do not show it. When we act differently-we become the oddity and we have lost face in their eyes and their respect. I would much rather live in Thailand than the US where nobody smiles or cares about their neighbor.

They don't want us here, they only tolerate us. If they could find a way of extracting our money from us whilst we lived in another country, they'd be over the moon.

The experience at Immigration really shows the contempt they have for us: elderly people forced to wait for hours to get an extension, pointless 90 day reporting (and the steep costs if one accidentally misses a report), reentry permits which are simply designed to extract more money from us, &c., &c.. Only those who fork out the big bucks for the Elite scheme get anything remotely approaching humane treatment, the impossibility for unmarried retirees to get PR (and it's hard enough for the young and married).

Absolute TWADDLE, No more to say

My opinion is that 25-30 years ago the welcome mat was out for holdovers from the war in The Nam and Scandinavians escaping their cold winters. That does not mean that the Immigration paperwork was any less onerous and was in some cases possibly worse. The cash cow now seems to have shifted to Chinese tourists with Koreans not too far behind. All things considered I remain because I have roots here and no where else. Immigration visits in Pattaya are a helluva lot better than they used to be - I give thanks for that.

They don't want us here, they only tolerate us. If they could find a way of extracting our money from us whilst we lived in another country, they'd be over the moon.

The experience at Immigration really shows the contempt they have for us: elderly people forced to wait for hours to get an extension, pointless 90 day reporting (and the steep costs if one accidentally misses a report), reentry permits which are simply designed to extract more money from us, &c., &c.. Only those who fork out the big bucks for the Elite scheme get anything remotely approaching humane treatment, the impossibility for unmarried retirees to get PR (and it's hard enough for the young and married).

I, too, think this criticism of immigration is way overblown.

Elderly people forced to wait for hours to get an extension? I find it really hard to believe that if someone had a genuine medical/old age hardship that most immigration offices wouldn't permit special arrangements to be made.

Pointless 90 day reporting and steep fines if one misses a report? I guess it depends on your perspective. Knowing where people live (similarly required for Thai citizens, i.e., tabian ban registration) in this day and age can hardly be characterized as pointless, and if there weren't penalties for non- or late- reporting who would bother to report? Also, am I mistaken in believing 90 day reporting is required throughout Europe?

Re-entry permits designed to extract money? There is an overhead cost to administering immigration. If you don't think the people using immigration's services should pay, who should? Also, do you really think immigration generates that much revenue? Maybe in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, but I'll bet a lot of the smaller regional offices barely break even.

Inhumane treatment? Never experienced this. In the past, occasionally overboard in the bureaucracy department, but never 'inhumane'. Syrian war refugees in Hungary? Now that's inhumane.

Edited by Gecko123

Some nations are explicitly welcoming to this sector with generous government policies well beyond offering visas. Such as Panama.

Oh, yes..... but then read this:

http://www.bananamarepublic.com/2014/06/02/4-reasons-why-you-dont-want-to-live-on-panamas-pacific-coast/

Thanks to Thailand for what it is and for what I can be. From of the year 1991 on.

Edited by Khunangkaro

Elderly people forced to wait for hours to get an extension? I find it really hard to believe that if someone had a genuine medical/old age hardship that most immigration offices wouldn't permit special arrangements to be made.

Pointless 90 day reporting and steep fines if one misses a report? I guess it depends on your perspective. Knowing where people live (similarly required for Thai citizens, i.e., tabian ban registration) in this day and age can hardly be characterized as pointless, and if there weren't penalties for non- or late- reporting who would bother to report? Also, am I mistaken in believing 90 day reporting is required throughout Europe?

Re-entry permits designed to extract money? There is an overhead cost to administering immigration. If you don't think the people using immigration's services should pay, who should? Also, do you really think immigration generates that much revenue? Maybe in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, but I'll bet a lot of the smaller regional offices barely break even.

Inhumane treatment? Never experienced this. In the past, occasionally overboard in the bureaucracy department, but never 'inhumane'. Syrian war refugees in Hungary? Now that's inhumane.

Yeah none of that matters.

He's old - everything should be free because Thailand owes him a debt of gratitude for spending his pension here

Got to agree

Think some people like and want to portray themselves or a certain group as victims all the time

Having lived and worked in many countries over the years Thailand is one of the least difficult and the fact is per the poster your repsonding to " they dont want us here" if they didnt want you here you wouldnt be here that simple

I'm not complaining. I only wanted to know what the party line is..maybe there isn't one. And before any of the other "if u don't like it leave" people who generally don't have any facts, information or anything useful or positive to add jump in....I come from Australia...a country who spends a huge percentage of taxpayers (my) dollars on accommodating and appeasing immigrants and refugees including a large Thai population...to the point you probably have more rights being a foreigner. I'm not the type to go to another country to live and bitterly complain things not like home but there is another side to that story often forgotten here

Same applies for sure as the UK . The world is turning into a global melting pot and that's not natural .

But back to the post and things have changed a lot in Thailand over the last 10 or 20 years for the falang and other Asian countries are more receptive to retirees , inasmuch the cost of living , property/ land ownership and uncomplicated and often more generous visa systems .Thailand tourism is well promoted and valued with many visitors liking to be entertained by the ladies of Thailand . Now what we have is the army government clamping down on drinking establishments and whatever goes with them , to the disappointment of tourists and resident retirees alike . Reporting to the local immigration is now reintroduced on your arrival back into Thailand . There are many double standards where the falang pays more than a Thai , and so on etc . There is no doubt that foreign retirees make a significant contribution to the Thai economy but there seems to be little or no regards for this and there are no rights to be had here for the falang so you just have to be smart , street wise and one step ahead . We are tolerated and visa versa . However I agree with Jingthing and the world is changing and there are worse places to live . Rather be here than the UK but other Asian countries may tempt me to take a look .

There is no doubt that foreign retirees make a significant contribution to the Thai economy but there seems to be little or no regards for this and there are no rights to be had here for the falang so you just have to be smart , street wise and one step ahead .

I doubt it, have you any figures to back up this assertion. The best I could do was a figure of 70-140 thousand western foreigners living here in 2010 from a web site called Doug's republic http://www.dougsrepublic.com/thailand/foreigners.php. To his credit the author freely admits that these figures are not accurate but the best he could find, and of course they include people who work here. Even so Westerners living here in 2010 represent at most 0.021% of the population and most likely a lot less.(I have used Doug's upper estimate of Westerners and the 2010 Thai census statistics) Then you would need to take out the westerners who are in gainful employment which leaves a lot fewer people who can be accurately categorized as foreign retirees. I am sure that a lot of these people aren't big spenders, as consumption patterns change as you get older, indeed if viewed as part of a family unit retirees with younger families may often make negative contributions to the Thai economy.

But I do agree that retirees, at least in the broader Thai community are tolerated and visa versa. And compared to many other parts of the world tolerance is some sort of achievement.

I've no idea what official policy is. But I do know that I feel far less welcome here than I did when I first arrived as a tourist a lifetime ago, and less welcome as an expat retiree than I did when I first arrived here many years ago. Nowadays my future here feels to be less secure than it once did.

However, I have put down roots, I'm a reasonably well integrated member of the local community, and I'm happy here. Moving on would be unbelievably difficult for me now. So I'm in for the long haul, whatever that may mean. I just hope that future official policy will not thwart me in that ambition.

I feel at home here. My Thai family are lovely our neighbours are really nice and no problem with the 90 day ,only Takes a few minutes here in Pattaya, duel pricing what's that?

duel pricing what's that?

I only hope you have enough money to keep you going should your wife die first.

Knew a farang on a married mans visa, had the 400k in the bank, his mrs died, he didnt have the 800k to apply for a ret't visa.

Dual pricing, wait till the visa rules are changed, oh ret't visa that will be 2 million please.

Married mans visa, oh that will be 1 million please.

I do not know how long you have been here but many years ago they doubled the amount of money you needed in the bank , BUT NOT FOR THOSE ALREADY HERE ,it stayed the same.

I feel at home here. My Thai family are lovely our neighbours are really nice and no problem with the 90 day ,only Takes a few minutes here in Pattaya, duel pricing what's that?

duel pricing what's that?

I only hope you have enough money to keep you going should your wife die first.

Knew a farang on a married mans visa, had the 400k in the bank, his mrs died, he didnt have the 800k to apply for a ret't visa.

Dual pricing, wait till the visa rules are changed, oh ret't visa that will be 2 million please.

Married mans visa, oh that will be 1 million please.

I do not know how long you have been here but many years ago they doubled the amount of money you needed in the bank , BUT NOT FOR THOSE ALREADY HERE ,it stayed the same.

Which disproves that all they want is your money.

Same applies for sure as the UK . The world is turning into a global melting pot and that's not natural .

But back to the post and things have changed a lot in Thailand over the last 10 or 20 years for the falang and other Asian countries are more receptive to retirees , inasmuch the cost of living , property/ land ownership and uncomplicated and often more generous visa systems .Thailand tourism is well promoted and valued with many visitors liking to be entertained by the ladies of Thailand . Now what we have is the army government clamping down on drinking establishments and whatever goes with them , to the disappointment of tourists and resident retirees alike . Reporting to the local immigration is now reintroduced on your arrival back into Thailand . There are many double standards where the falang pays more than a Thai , and so on etc . There is no doubt that foreign retirees make a significant contribution to the Thai economy but there seems to be little or no regards for this and there are no rights to be had here for the falang so you just have to be smart , street wise and one step ahead . We are tolerated and visa versa . However I agree with Jingthing and the world is changing and there are worse places to live . Rather be here than the UK but other Asian countries may tempt me to take a look .

There is no doubt that foreign retirees make a significant contribution to the Thai economy but there seems to be little or no regards for this and there are no rights to be had here for the falang so you just have to be smart , street wise and one step ahead .

I doubt it, have you any figures to back up this assertion. The best I could do was a figure of 70-140 thousand western foreigners living here in 2010 from a web site called Doug's republic http://www.dougsrepublic.com/thailand/foreigners.php. To his credit the author freely admits that these figures are not accurate but the best he could find, and of course they include people who work here. Even so Westerners living here in 2010 represent at most 0.021% of the population and most likely a lot less.(I have used Doug's upper estimate of Westerners and the 2010 Thai census statistics) Then you would need to take out the westerners who are in gainful employment which leaves a lot fewer people who can be accurately categorized as foreign retirees. I am sure that a lot of these people aren't big spenders, as consumption patterns change as you get older, indeed if viewed as part of a family unit retirees with younger families may often make negative contributions to the Thai economy.

But I do agree that retirees, at least in the broader Thai community are tolerated and visa versa. And compared to many other parts of the world tolerance is some sort of achievement.

Define and quantify "signifcant"

70 to 140 thousand in a populuation of 67 odd million is insignificant irrespective of the way you try and dress it up

Edited by Soutpeel

For a married person, B400k ie USD12k is petty cash in this day & age.

Some western countries require USD0.5m - usually far more.

I could never understand why the married rate is 50% of the single rate. Logic?

If LOS was a mecca, there would be a gigantic influx of expats. Now, there is an exodus of expats.

IMO

800k is more than needed but helps to keep the numbers down.

If someone is married the wife can also work and contribute to the family income. And being in a de facto marriage is reason to make it easier for the husband to stay on humanitarian grounds.

IMO

If someone is married the wife can also work and contribute to the family income. And being in a de facto marriage is reason to make it easier for the husband to stay on humanitarian grounds.

de facto marriage - my understanding is that de facto relationships do not count as married for visa purposes. Humanitarian grounds - no understanding.

I would appreciate enlightenment in this regard.

IMO

de facto marriage - my understanding is that de facto relationships do not count as married for visa purposes. Humanitarian grounds - no understanding.

I would appreciate enlightenment in this regard.

Arent humanitarian grounds granted when ones human rights are violated and there are no other options ? Not intended to make it "easier"