Do they want farang retirees here?

Kenny202

Just wondering what the general feel of the Thai govt is? I'm on an OA visa and put down some roots. Every now and then it hits me nothing more than a guest here and those rights can be taken away anytime. Will they ever make it easier and more permanent to live here aka visa requirements, land ownership etc

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't want us here, they only tolerate us. If they could find a way of extracting our money from us whilst we lived in another country, they'd be over the moon.

The experience at Immigration really shows the contempt they have for us: elderly people forced to wait for hours to get an extension, pointless 90 day reporting (and the steep costs if one accidentally misses a report), reentry permits which are simply designed to extract more money from us, &c., &c.. Only those who fork out the big bucks for the Elite scheme get anything remotely approaching humane treatment, the impossibility for unmarried retirees to get PR (and it's hard enough for the young and married).

They don't want us here, they only tolerate us. If they could find a way of extracting our money from us whilst we lived in another country, they'd be over the moon.

The experience at Immigration really shows the contempt they have for us: elderly people forced to wait for hours to get an extension, pointless 90 day reporting (and the steep costs if one accidentally misses a report), reentry permits which are simply designed to extract more money from us, &c., &c.. Only those who fork out the big bucks for the Elite scheme get anything remotely approaching humane treatment, the impossibility for unmarried retirees to get PR (and it's hard enough for the young and married).

with all respect that may be more of a personal opinion rather than govt policy. Same as Ur treatment at immigration probably more a reflection of the individual or general work ethic of govt "service" depts. I have to say most at Khonkaen office brilliant and actually seem to enjoy their day.

The govt must have some policy or outlook towards retirees. It must boost the economy / modernise the locale in some areas and that seems to be what they want now.

with all respect that may be more of a personal opinion rather than govt policy. Same as Ur treatment at immigration probably more a reflection of the individual or general work ethic of govt "service" depts. I have to say most at Khonkaen office brilliant and actually seem to enjoy their day.

The govt must have some policy or outlook towards retirees. It must boost the economy / modernise the locale in some areas and that seems to be what they want now.

Where I come from actions speak louder that words. Successive governments have done very little to get rid of the pointless bureaucracy and inefficient procedures that make life unpleasant for expats.

Sheryl in a recent post mentioned how it took her several days of travel and effort for each annual extension. Another poster said he was suddenly faced, after 10 years of married life here with loads of additional requirements for extension, including intrusive questioning into his sex life. When I did my last extension at Chaeng Wattana (which only took 7 hours of waiting), there was an elderly, very frail man in a wheelchair. He arrived after me, by which time the queue had built up even more. It's simply inhumane treatment and shows official contempt for the service users. If I had to point to improvements over the last ten years I can only think of a few that have benefited me: opening more provincial offices, appointment booking for extensions at Chaeng Wattana (which worked for less than a month before being scrapped), 90 day reporting online. No change in policy at all that I can bring to mind.

As for government policy, well they pour vast sums of money into the Tourist Authority of Thailand, which seems at best to be very ineffectual. They (the government) don't do anything to promote retirement in Thailand. (Compare with our neighbour next door with "Malaysia my second home", which includes a 10 year visa, allows property ownership, tax-free import of a car, a national ID card, part time working, tax free interest on bank accounts, and all required documentation can be provided in English.)

So, whilst retirees may well boost the economy, governmental xenophobia means that they don't want to promote long staying foreigners. In their minds the tourists who come for a fortnight and quickly dump all their cash here is what is wanted.

Edited by AyG

Where I come from actions speak louder that words. Successive governments have done very little to get rid of the pointless bureaucracy and inefficient procedures that make life unpleasant for expats.

Sheryl in a recent post mentioned how it took her several days of travel and effort for each annual extension. Another poster said he was suddenly faced, after 10 years of married life here with loads of additional requirements for extension, including intrusive questioning into his sex life. When I did my last extension at Chaeng Wattana (which only took 7 hours of waiting), there was an elderly, very frail man in a wheelchair. He arrived after me, by which time the queue had built up even more. It's simply inhumane treatment and shows official contempt for the service users. If I had to point to improvements over the last ten years I can only think of a few that have benefited me: opening more provincial offices, appointment booking for extensions at Chaeng Wattana (which worked for less than a month before being scrapped), 90 day reporting online. No change in policy at all that I can bring to mind.

As for government policy, well they pour vast sums of money into the Tourist Authority of Thailand, which seems at best to be very ineffectual. They (the government) don't do anything to promote retirement in Thailand. (Compare with our neighbour next door with "Malaysia my second home", which includes a 10 year visa, allows property ownership, tax-free import of a car, a national ID card, part time working, tax free interest on bank accounts, and all required documentation can be provided in English.)

So, whilst retirees may well boost the economy, governmental xenophobia means that they don't want to promote long staying foreigners. In their minds the tourists who come for a fortnight and quickly dump all their cash here is what is wanted.

I hear what your saying but I think you will find those service levels apply accross the board in all govt depts....and are as difficult for Thais as farang. My wife walks in our local Tambon office and they actually look her up and down like she just farted. If ur not family u don't get a look in. Elitist class attitude. Our local town water when working is like thick mud. Thai bloke next door was ordered to pay the poh jai ban 500 baht for bringing it up at a meeting. Disrespectful apparently. Walked in the Amphur office the other week. One eating, one playing computer games, one taking a selfie...and the boss who my wife was talking to never lifted her head from the newspaper in the whole 10 minutes the conversation took place. It's disgraceful but the local people are scared of them. Every dog has its day

I think they want quality anybody-group......

But in a society that looks at the life of a grasshopper as equal to any other "life" discernment is problematical.....

Personally - I've not so far run into any unwelcoming feeling or vibe here.....

You invite yourself. 'Nuff said.

I'm not complaining. I only wanted to know what the party line is..maybe there isn't one. And before any of the other "if u don't like it leave" people who generally don't have any facts, information or anything useful or positive to add jump in....I come from Australia...a country who spends a huge percentage of taxpayers (my) dollars on accommodating and appeasing immigrants and refugees including a large Thai population...to the point you probably have more rights being a foreigner. I'm not the type to go to another country to live and bitterly complain things not like home but there is another side to that story often forgotten here Edited by Kenny202

If we choose to live here then we abide by the prevailing conditions....

We by and large have no sway where we come from so to move to a different country/culture and impose what WE feel we WANT is a wrong approach....

It's part of the trade off......"They" didn't invite ANY of us here.....In effect some are biting the hand that feeds (infastructure/services) us.....

Personally I am happy in my life here....I will take happiness and contentment to the bank any day.....Some are not (seemingly) happy unless demanding something/whining/expecting what they don't deserve-haven't earned.....

Goes back to Democules.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Given the obvious superiority of

the Malaysian reitrement

offerings over those available in

Thailand, I just can't understand

why so many retirees choose to

put up with the immigration crap,

the 'racism', the dual-pricing and

the death trap roads.

Oh wait.....

Oh man, not again.

I'm at a loss as to what retirees think they should be entitled to here? You can't turn up on someone's doorstep and then criticise the hospitality they provide or the manner in which they provide it.

I'm not really one of the "if you don't like it, get lost" crowd but I really do think that more than a few people need to be booking flights elsewhere.

And before anyone rocks up with the classic "Oh I've put down roots/started a business/married a local/had kids" bullshit, remember that nobody FORCED you to do any of that so you can't expect the authorities to legislate in a way that absolves you of the consequences of your own life decisions.

Every last one of you - hell, every last one of us because non-retirees have to jump through the hoops too - was aware of the immigration rules governing our stay in the Kingdom when we arrived.

We elected to remain anyway.

Suck it up and stop bitching

Well lets put it this way if they ever did decide to give some sort of permanent residence status one suspects retirees would at the bottom of the list or even excluded i guess it would persons married to Thai nationals first, people who had worked in Thailand X number of years

Go and do a bit of research and see how many countries offer retirement visa's and secondly of those countries that do, see how many offer PR or citzenship your search will not bring up many maybe a couple

Edited by Soutpeel

Given the obvious superiority of

the Malaysian reitrement

offerings over those available in

Thailand, I just can't understand

why so many retirees choose to

put up with the immigration crap,

the 'racism', the dual-pricing and

the death trap roads.

Oh wait.....

maybe because of the nice gardening tools? whistling.gif

I hope for Thailand's sake they don't change their policy and become a dumping ground for anyone wanting to cross the border. Ask the USA what their situation is with illegals coming across the border. There you can swim over one day and the next you can buy anything you want if you have the cash. Many European countries are in big trouble with the millions of refugees.

I feel at home here. My Thai family are lovely our neighbours are really nice and no problem with the 90 day ,only Takes a few minutes here in Pattaya, duel pricing what's that?

duel pricing what's that?

I only hope you have enough money to keep you going should your wife die first.

Knew a farang on a married mans visa, had the 400k in the bank, his mrs died, he didnt have the 800k to apply for a ret't visa.

Dual pricing, wait till the visa rules are changed, oh ret't visa that will be 2 million please.

Married mans visa, oh that will be 1 million please.

Why should they want them?

Economic benefits. Not personal affection. Yes, there are economic benefits. The Philippines did a study suggested each retired expat creates about 20 local wage level jobs. It's not simple math. The imported money enters the local economy and gets spent around. The bank deposits get lent out. Etc.

Edited by Jingthing

A lot of the fault lies with the authors of books and articles on "best places to retire" etc. They paint a very inaccurate picture of Thailand as Paradise. Their objective is to sell books, not provide helpful information. Years ago it was Mexico, then Costa Rica. It's very hard to to know the pros and cons of moving to a foreign country without spending an extended stay first.

If I knew then what I know now...

Economic benefits. Not personal affection. Yes, there are economic benefits. The Philippines did a study suggested each retired expat creates about 20 local wage level jobs. It's not simple math. The imported money enters the local economy and gets spent around. The bank deposits get lent out. Etc.

Seriously?

What proportion of the Thai economy do you think these pensions add up to?

Seriously?

Don't talk to me. Talk to the government of the Philippines. It hardly matters what percentage though. If it's really true an economy at this level gets 20 local jobs just to put up with one old foreigner, why not?

Edited by Jingthing

Seriously?

Don't talk to me. Talk to the government of the Philippines. It hardly matters what percentage though. If it's really true an economy at this level gets 20 local jobs just to put up with one old foreigner, why not?

Is this PhillipineVisa?

No dude. Don't be so hostile. I am suggesting they are similar nations in economic levels and regions. Also their financial qualification level for retirement status is very close to Thailand's requirements. I have never heard of such a study from the Thai government but perhaps they have a private one they haven't publicized. Or perhaps they read the Philippine study and made the same conclusion I did ... save some money.

Edited by Jingthing

Seriously?

These people think the Thai economy would plunge into a recession if enough of them voted with their feet.

Seriously?

These people think the Thai economy would plunge into a recession if enough of them voted with their feet.

That's hostile BS. I don't think that.

But, get real, people, this isn't rocket science.

They don't offer legal retirement status here, provisional as it is, because we are loved.

It's the economic benefit.

That's NOT the same thing as suggested that Thailand couldn't live without us. Of course they could.

On the other hand, the tourism industry overall is a different story. That is a very important segment here.

Edited by Jingthing

It will be a cold day in hell before I ever take seriously anything the Pinoy gov't has to say, heck even their own citizens dont believe them.