Do they want farang retirees here?

Kenny202

OB

How do you figure? Retiree me; I contribute 1 million baht per year. Japanese man how much in money from outside Thailand spent in Thailand? Doesn't he get paid for work performed in Thailand with native Thai dollars and Thai raw materials?

Well, by being here I'd say first up his company has probably invested here. I'd wager they earn more than most retirees as well as create more jobs. They all certainly have drivers. They would also probably be paying the highest rate of tax which is 35%. Don't get me wrong I do think retirees add to the economy. But I'm pretty sure the Thai government values its Japanese friends more. With good reason.

OB

The money paid the Japanese employees is made in Thailand from Thai raw materiel. They are using money that is already in circulation and re circulating it not adding new wealth (except the initial investment). In 2014, Japanese direct investment in Thailand fell 37%.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/japan-reaffirms-economic-ties-with-thailand-1423488868

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how much of the lack of an efficient system for retirees has to do with xenophobia, and how much has to do with unbelievably talentless government and an extraordinary lack of creative juice on the part of these administrators. Thailand has suffered from a lack of a meritocracy for decades. Not so in Malaysia, where they have genuine talent, a far, far better educational system, and elected officials with real intellect, aptitude, creativity, imagination, foresight, forethought, vision, and excellence. None of that exists here. The lack of talent is nothing short of astonishing.

So, it might answer some of your questions. I agree that we are not really valued here, and not given credit for our contributions to the culture, nor the economy. But, I am not sure how deliberate the ridiculously cumbersome visa process is, or if it a result of sheer and utter ineptitude, and a staggering lack of vision.

I don't think they know. As easy as it would be to figure (a couple of phone calls to a few banks) I don't think they know.

Did you read the wholesale attack on me for suggesting the number was large here? No one here wants to even know what the number is because they don't like old people and the thought that they might have value to a country is upsetting to many.

Any economist could put a number on it. It is not rocket science. The effect of new foreign currency coming into a country is not a strange phenomenon and one of the easiest ways to increase the value of an economy.

Like most things in Thailand, the government just doesn't care one way or another due to inertia. When was the last time the Thai government, any administration, did anything innovative on any front

The visa rules are archaic and certainly don't reflect anything other than toleration. Even the rules for getting a visa change depending upon the consulate or embassy in your home country

They certainly don't spend any money advertising Thailand as a retirement destination, they just want "quality" tourists, to come , spend their money, and then leave

But to be perfectly honest with you I would almost bet that there is not one person in all of Thai officialdom that even thinks about retirees, no less is planning anything that makes it easier to come to Thailand for retirement

It is like fining motor cycle drivers for not wearing a helmet when a truck or bus makes an illegal U turn right in front of them, they go after the moto driver because they are low hanging fruit

Retirees are Immigration's low hanging fruit

Thai Visa could do a poll and calculate the numbers (hire an economist) and announce to the world that the contribution of retirees to the Thai economy is 7% and change the whole future of retirees and Thailand but they won't. And do you know why? ( I mean all of you guys could prove me wrong - maybe biggrin.png and wouldn't that be fun) - Do you know why they won't? Do you know why they don't want Thailand and the members of Thai Visa to know that they contribute as much as rice production to Thailand?

pmarlowe, on 09 Sept 2015 - 20:17, said:snapback.png

Been trying to find reliable numbers of retirees and expats but it seems there is no good source. However, based on googling (God help us) various sources the 200,000 figure might be OK. However, that number would include European, American, Australian New Zealander, Japanese and maybe Indian (not the millions of Burmese, Cambodians, indigenous hill people etc.

The rub is that the number probably includes working expats as well as retirees. But I suspect the baht spent on goods services and taxes by these 200,000 is in fact a significant contribution when you consider the most Thais (those not in the 1 percent) earn from 6000-50000 baht per month (again based on internet sources that can no way be validated). How significant, we'll probably never know. There doesn't appear to be a clear answer but I suspect the cash generated by this group is more than welcome.

Trying to calculate the retiree portion in all this seems impossible as pensions vary as do the level of savings some retirees have been able to accumulate along with any income generating portfolio instruments they may have.

So I think we're welcomed, just as any "found money" would be welcome. But are we encouraged or provided incentives (other than the ones we provide ourselves) I am not so sure.

Ok but as a sane and rational person do you believe the retirees contribution is 7% of the GDP ? And i stress retiree not someone working here or working elsewhere ?

To be honest, I can't see anything that gets us to that 7% of total GDP. I am not an economist but it just doesn't hunt based on the estimated number of expats (total 200k as qualified above), and which I gather would be substantially reduced if to include only retirees. I just don't think there is any way to get to that 7% figure based on what i have been reading, especially relating to only the retirees.
If you think about it in terms of per capita GDP in Thailand, which is around 14000 USD per year...any "found money" is welcome. Probably not welcome enough to change policy -- but a gift nevertheless. So I stand by my earlier post...I think the answer to the question by the Thai government is "mmmm. we like the extra cash but we are otherwise ambivalent."

I live in Thailand and know another 1000 retirees who live in Thailand through organizations I belong to. I think they all spend about 1 million baht per year.

Feel free to disagree based on any kind of real experience or take a survey.

Keep in mind that only 50 or 60% of the real GDP is reported because of Thailand's large grey economy. For example where is it reported when a retiree buys his wife a 3 million baht home (happens once a minute on Thai Visa). Where is it reported that the retiree buys the whole family motorcycles and puts all the kids through private school and the daughters through college (happens once a minute on TV)?

I appreciate this post, especially as one who has built the house, bought the two motorbikes, the electric wheelchair for mum, several laptops and iphones, a boob job, the two year dental fix and paid an allowance of 30k baht each month for many years...and that is just the beginning.

But just like most of the posts on this subject, it is all anecdotal. You can't compute my experience or anyones into a percentage of the real or grey GDP. Anecdotes are helpful to understand why posters feel how they feel and that is appreciated and enlightening. But as far as trying to calculate significance, the hard numbers just aren't there.

The way I see it, the general in his fancy silk suits is not standing in the doorway with his arms spread wide, booming out a big "WELCOME." He's more likely sheepishly smiling, shrugging his shoulders and saying "can't hurt."

There is no answer to the OPs original question.

Edited by pmarlowe

Been trying to find reliable numbers of retirees and expats but it seems there is no good source. However, based on googling (God help us) various sources the 200,000 figure might be OK. However, that number would include European, American, Australian New Zealander, Japanese and maybe Indian (not the millions of Burmese, Cambodians, indigenous hill people etc.

The rub is that the number probably includes working expats as well as retirees. But I suspect the baht spent on goods services and taxes by these 200,000 is in fact a significant contribution when you consider the most Thais (those not in the 1 percent) earn from 6000-50000 baht per month (again based on internet sources that can no way be validated). How significant, we'll probably never know. There doesn't appear to be a clear answer but I suspect the cash generated by this group is more than welcome.

Trying to calculate the retiree portion in all this seems impossible as pensions vary as do the level of savings some retirees have been able to accumulate along with any income generating portfolio instruments they may have.

So I think we're welcomed, just as any "found money" would be welcome. But are we encouraged or provided incentives (other than the ones we provide ourselves) I am not so sure.

Ok but as a sane and rational person do you believe the retirees contribution is 7% of the GDP ? And i stress retiree not someone working here or working elsewhere ?

To be honest, I can't see anything that gets us to that 7% of total GDP. I am not an economist but it just doesn't hunt based on the estimated number of expats (total 200k as qualified above), and which I gather would be substantially reduced if to include only retirees. I just don't think there is any way to get to that 7% figure based on what i have been reading, especially relating to only the retirees.
If you think about it in terms of per capita GDP in Thailand, which is around 14000 USD per year...any "found money" is welcome. Probably not welcome enough to change policy -- but a gift nevertheless. So I stand by my earlier post...I think the answer to the question by the Thai government is "mmmm. we like the extra cash but we are otherwise ambivalent."

I live in Thailand and know another 1000 retirees who live in Thailand through organizations I belong to. I think they all spend about 1 million baht per year.

Feel free to disagree based on any kind of real experience or take a survey.

Keep in mind that only 50 or 60% of the real GDP is reported because of Thailand's large grey economy. For example where is it reported when a retiree buys his wife a 3 million baht home (happens once a minute on Thai Visa). Where is it reported that the retiree buys the whole family motorcycles and puts all the kids through private school and the daughters through college (happens once a minute on TV)?

I appreciate this post, especially as one who has built the house, bought the two motorbikes, the electric wheelchair for mum, several laptops and iphones, a boob job, the two year dental fix and paid an allowance of 30k baht each month for many years...and that is just the beginning.

But just like most of the posts on this subject, it is all anecdotal. You can't compute my experience or anyones into a percentage of the real or grey GDP. Anecdotes are helpful to understand why posters feel how they feel and that is appreciated and enlightening. But as far as trying to calculate significance, the hard numbers just aren't there.

The way I see it, the general in his fancy silk suits is not standing in the doorway with his arms spread wide, booming out a big "WELCOME." He's more likely sheepishly smiling, shrugging his shoulders and saying "can't hurt."

There is no answer to the OPs original question.

Thailand knows how many retirees are staying in Thailand and a simple survey would determine expenditures or a survey of the accounts at the Bank of Bangkok. One only needs 270 results for an accurate survey of 200,000 people.

Is it important? If one wants to turn around the Thai economy it is of paramount importance. But unpopular.

The hard numbers are there ask anyone who has an education in economics.

Edited by lostoday

Thailand want's retirees to live here because of the substantial contribution they make to the local economy. They do this in a number of ways, buying property, educating children, starting family businesses, buying farms and orchards and all kinds of money making enterprises with money brought in from outside Thailand or foreign investment. In the same way and for the same reasons Thailand strives for foreign investment it strives for retirees because they are a means of introducing hard currencies into the Thai economy. This process is facilitated by requiring a minimum being kept on account in a Thai bank.

I think we can assume that most of the retired persons living here open Thai bank accounts because of the traffic on Thai Visa about opening a Thai bank account and the volume of questions about the processes of obtaining a retirement extension.

The major difference between the retired guy and working guy is 100% of the retired guys income that he spends in Thailand comes from outside of Thailand whereas the employed person's money comes from inside Thailand. All of the advantages of foreign currency deposits are applied to the retired persons expenditures.

LOL doesnt give up, foreigners who are not retired are married or are working here/ own business' do exactly the same and typically more so what your listing are hardly unique to retiree's

Not true. They use Thai resources to make a product to sell maybe export maybe domestic. Retirees 100% import hard currency funds.

I have a friend who is a gas inspector. He gets paid Thai dollars for replacing a Thai employee who has not been trained to his level. The Thai money he gets he exports to his home accounts because his expense money covers his daily expenses. He is a parasite on the Thai economy where as the retiree only contributes and takes nothing away.

If true, 'sounds like an exceedingly rare case. And apparently because his skills are in actual demand, thus enabling the company he works for to do what it does, and employ the other Thai employees that it does. Presumably therefore, that company is an asset to the Thai economy. So, no, not only is he atypical, he's not a "parasite" if you just take a step back & look at the bigger picture.

Thailand want's retirees to live here because of the substantial contribution they make to the local economy. They do this in a number of ways, buying property, educating children, starting family businesses, buying farms and orchards and all kinds of money making enterprises with money brought in from outside Thailand or foreign investment. In the same way and for the same reasons Thailand strives for foreign investment it strives for retirees because they are a means of introducing hard currencies into the Thai economy. This process is facilitated by requiring a minimum being kept on account in a Thai bank.

I think we can assume that most of the retired persons living here open Thai bank accounts because of the traffic on Thai Visa about opening a Thai bank account and the volume of questions about the processes of obtaining a retirement extension.

The major difference between the retired guy and working guy is 100% of the retired guys income that he spends in Thailand comes from outside of Thailand whereas the employed person's money comes from inside Thailand. All of the advantages of foreign currency deposits are applied to the retired persons expenditures.

LOL doesnt give up, foreigners who are not retired are married or are working here/ own business' do exactly the same and typically more so what your listing are hardly unique to retiree's

Not true. They use Thai resources to make a product to sell maybe export maybe domestic. Retirees 100% import hard currency funds.

I have a friend who is a gas inspector. He gets paid Thai dollars for replacing a Thai employee who has not been trained to his level. The Thai money he gets he exports to his home accounts because his expense money covers his daily expenses. He is a parasite on the Thai economy where as the retiree only contributes and takes nothing away.

If true, 'sounds like an exceedingly rare case. And apparently because his skills are in actual demand, thus enabling the company he works for to do what it does, and employ the other Thai employees that it does. Presumably therefore, that company is an asset to the Thai economy. So, no, not only is he atypical, he's not a "parasite" if you just take a step back & look at the bigger picture.

I didn't say bad but he lives off the Thai economy. A retiree lives off the Western economy. A worker in Thailand gets paid from the Thai economy and a retiree gets paid from the Western economy.

I didn't say bad but he lives off the Thai economy. A retiree lives off the Western economy. A worker in Thailand gets paid from the Thai economy and a retiree gets paid from the Western economy.

not if the worker is employed by a Farang retiree or carries or provides various temporary services for foreign retirees, e.g. building homes, condos, maintenance of the latter, manufacturing and/or repairing cars and bikes, serving food in restaurants, selling goods in shops, providing a "good time"... shall i go on?

then there are retirees who don't live off any specific western economy but off the income generated by their investments which are in many cases spread globally including countries such as Thailand.

The income that retired persons spend is not accounted for under any of the categories reported by the TAT of Thailand.

How much money do Thai people over 50 spend? How much money do Americans retired in Thailand spend? I have suggested a way to find out but I guess no one really wants to know.

I think everyone understands that those over 50 living here and not working contribute new money.

The problem you have is that you have no idea how many people qualify for you calculation and can only guess at their average spending, and do you know Thailand's GDP?

An earlier poster used the figure of 200,000 as provided by the Thai government and I suggested doing a survey to determine how much they spent. For a population of 200,000 one would only need 270 for an accurate survey.

5,778.98 USD (2013) [/size]Thailand[/size]/GDP per capita[/size]

No. 7 Biggest Shadow Economy: Thailand

Percent of GDP in Shadow Economy: 57.2

Official GDP: $538.6 billion

http://www.bloomberg.com/ss/10/07/0729_worlds_biggest_shadow_economy/8.htm

I think that the 200k figure was all expats and not just retirees. But lets go with that number.

If I understand you correctly you were claiming that 200,000 retirees contribute 7% of GDP. If GDP is $538 billion (no idea if thats right) then 7% would equal $37,660,000,000 which divided by 200,000 would equal $188,300 per expat/retiree. At an approximate exchange rate that equals 6.7 million Baht per person.

That number seems a bit off to me.

A bit off :D think your being diplomatic

so the average retiree kicks in USD 187k pa :rolleyes:

Yeah right

I am curious to know what a gas inspector is in Thailand

Given i do work in Thailand in Oil and Gas and there is no such postion as a "gas inspector" and further why cant they find a thai person, given the O&G industry is 99% thai national run and there are many very compentant Thai nationals in the O&G industry

I have a feeling the poster is making things up again

Another tiresome Thai bashing post. Do most TV posters despise the country they elected to live in?

Do most TV posters despise the country they elected to live in? I don't think they do, between the 'Thai bashers' and the 'Thai lovers', I am somewhere in between. Up to a point, I wish the UK could take a leaf from Thailands book where immigration is concerned.

99% of the time, I have had the utmost respect from immigration officers, the police, and the Thai people in general. In saying that, I do think we have just a little bit too many hoops to jump through to live here, I think that one year reporting should be enough instead of 90 days I also think that it should be easier to get the visa extensions based on marriage done, this is only my opinion.

I also think that because the good far out weighs the bad here, the good does not get talked about the way the bad does in this forum, or any other forum.

When something bad or unfair happens, posters are quick to come on to Thaivisa and moan about it, and I include myself in this, on the other hand, when something good happens, very few posters will come on here and tell us about it.

To me an interesting discussion in which it is not so easy to prove or disprove various claims of monetary contributions from farangs .

However , the point that intrigues me are the comments regarding significant contributions from retirees that I casually wrote in my first post.In the back of my mind was the correlation between Thai incomes and that of all farangs , ( not just westerners ) retirees included .

Btw , what percentage of the Thai population do you think actually work , i.e. bring home a regular income . Population is 67,000,000, approx; and ethnic Thais are 75% which is 50,000,000 , Answer = of those there are 38,000,000 working and how many are on the minimum wage ?

Food for thought

For the latest round of deflection let me try a generic answer.

I was comparing an employed expat with a retired person to illustrate the source of his income from outside of Thailand to inside of Thailand. A good book to read about the subject is "The Economics of Foreign Exchange and Global Finance"

Money that is earned flows from one person to another, and most of it gets spent again - not just once, but many times. What this means is that small increases in spending from consumers, investment or the government lead to much larger increases in economic output. Economists use formulas to measure how much spending gets multiplied.

I used the example of an oil and gas inspector but you could use any other example of a trade or profession that is not available in Thailand presently for the example to be valid.

The point is with income from a retiree or any foreign exchange dollars that come into Thailand the worth to the Thai economy is far greater than the face value of the currency coming in and that is one reason why exports are so valuable to an economy.

If the Thai government calculated the real value of exports or retiree spending (maybe they do and I don't know about it) they would realize the importance is far greater than the face value of the currency spent. The same is true of tourist dollars or any foreign currency coming into Thailand and it is what makes the money spent by a retiree or tourist many times more important to Thailand than the money spent by a person employed in Thailand such as an expat oil worker. This may be the reason why retirement extensions only take 20 minutes and 1900 baht once a year as opposed to visa runs or marriage visas longer and more involved process I can't tell you for sure.

I was comparing an employed expat with a retired person to illustrate the source of his income from outside of Thailand to inside of Thailand. A good book to read about the subject is "The Economics of Foreign Exchange and Global Finance"

Money that is earned flows from one person to another, and most of it gets spent again - not just once, but many times. What this means is that small increases in spending from consumers, investment or the government lead to much larger increases in economic output. Economists use formulas to measure how much spending gets multiplied.

I used the example of an oil and gas inspector but you could use any other example of a trade or profession that is not available in Thailand presently for the example to be valid.

The point is with income from a retiree or any foreign exchange dollars that come into Thailand the worth to the Thai economy is far greater than the face value of the currency coming in and that is one reason why exports are so valuable to an economy.

If the Thai government calculated the real value of exports or retiree spending (maybe they do and I don't know about it) they would realize the importance is far greater than the face value of the currency spent. The same is true of tourist dollars or any foreign currency coming into Thailand and it is what makes the money spent by a retiree or tourist many times more important to Thailand than the money spent by a person employed in Thailand such as an expat oil worker. This may be the reason why retirement extensions only take 20 minutes and 1900 baht once a year as opposed to visa runs or marriage visas longer and more involved process I can't tell you for sure.

Your getting very good at deflection

what is a gas inspector ? And note now you have changed it to an Oil Gas inspector ? Same question whats one of those as well while your at it

To be perfectly frank i stopped reading your proclamations when some else pointed out according to your numbers the average retiree puts USD 180k pa into the Thai pot

:rolleyes:

Edited by Soutpeel

what is a gas inspector ? And note now you have changed it to an Oil Gas inspector ? Same question whats one of those as well while your at it

What does a gas inspector have to do with the topic? I could have said a piping inspector or a welding inspector or pressure vessel inspector or many other terms. Why not try and debate the topic rather than knit-pick terms or just try and randomly insult me.

What does a gas inspector have to do with the topic? I could have said a piping inspector or a welding inspector or pressure vessel inspector or many other terms. Why not try and debate the topic rather than knit-pick terms or just try and randomly insult me.

You tell me your the one who keeps bleating on about gas inspectors and seeing i am in the biz and never heard of one i want to know what one is

... but in the end it's all Fiat money anyway (not that I know what Fiat money is -- ask one 'a them Austrians)

A little less than Volkswagen money?

Gee that's funny -- we used to say that FIAT stood for 'Fix It Again, Tony' but I think you will find that 'Fiat money' discussion is popular elsewhere on ThaiVisa amongst the gloom & doom goldbug contingent.

I feel we're getting a little distracted here. The question is whether they want the retirees here, not whether they want their money. These are not the same thing. Money is generally welcomed, but that doesn't mean they like the people that spend it.

In my experience that distinction is not drawn in Thailand. If the question was do they want poor retirees here the answer would be no. If the question was do they want retirees with 800,000 baht in the bank or a pension to equal that yearly the answer is yes.

When the Thai Immigration folks eliminate the Extension of Stay for Purpose of Retirement option, you will know conclusively that 'they do not want retirees here' as per the topic heading.

I really can't see any advantage in that for Thailand. The only people who would benefit from men not retiring to Thailand are the anti psychotic pharmaceutical suppliers in the West and the euthanasia people in Switzerland and the five young guys who have to compete against the grey haired romeos in Thailand.

I feel we're getting a little distracted here. The question is whether they want the retirees here, not whether they want their money. These are not the same thing. Money is generally welcomed, but that doesn't mean they like the people that spend it.

In my experience that distinction is not drawn in Thailand. If the question was do they want poor retirees here the answer would be no. If the question was do they want retirees with 800,000 baht in the bank or a pension to equal that yearly the answer is yes.

Your experience being that of one who's tolerated here because of your money?

When the Thai Immigration folks eliminate the Extension of Stay for Purpose of Retirement option, you will know conclusively that 'they do not want retirees here' as per the topic heading.

I really can't see any advantage in that for Thailand. The only people who would benefit from men not retiring to Thailand are the anti psychotic pharmaceutical suppliers in the West and the euthanasia people in Switzerland and the five young guys who have to compete against the grey haired romeos in Thailand.

The OP posed a question -- I answered. As to what you can or can't see, a big So What?

And just what is it that you do on a daily basis here in LOS that they should tolerate you?

Edited by JLCrab

And just what is it that you do on a daily basis here in LOS that they should tolerate you?

I don't know. But they seem to anyway. Unlike many here, I don't tie myself in knots over whether the locals love me. I just get on with my life and try and treat people decently.