British academic detained in Thailand after exposing official as plagiarist

webfact

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these days, where I ask myself why I have chosen to live, invest and propagate in a Banana Republic. I must be out of my mind... blink.png

...as opposed to the UK which fiddled the masters degree of Colonel Ghaddafi's son despite academic complaints being made.

He subsequently won a series of legal battles against Supachai, and Chulalongkorn University eventually stripped the official of his doctorate after an investigation found that 80% of his thesis had been taken from various sources.

Ellis, an agricultural consultant who has worked with the UN’s environmental programme, was the subject of nine legal complaints by Supachai, the former director of the Thai national innovation agency (NIA), but won or settled all of them.

Supachai, for his part, was convicted of criminal forgery of Ellis’s employment contract in 2012. He was fined and given a suspended prison sentence, and was sacked by the NIA in February.

Has Supachai still his doctorate?

That would cast a very bad light on the whole Chulalongkorn University,

and would reduce the value of this title worldwide for all true researchers and doctoral students from that University.

I am dismayed that the Scientific Council of the University not clearly responding here.

At long last somebody has done some research to get close to the truth instead of copying and pasting other people posts. Is that plagiarism too?

Thank you for some enlightenment.

If Wyn Ellis has lived in Thailand for 30 years, he should know better than to defame the Thai alpha male persona.

Bad move - Thai's do not like losing face.

My wife is as outraged about this matter as me.

Here's a verbatim message from her to you:

"Congratulations, you are now Thai. You expect people to say mai bpen rai and forget about it. Can you and I please swap passports? I want to leave this country of stupid people, and you can stay because you fit in well."

This is the same case that caused a young American jouranlist to flee from Thailand ...5 or 7 years ago.

Not good naturally....but not near as harsh as what happens in the Philippines.

In the Philippines all too many journalist are more or less routinely murdered...execution style..... when they go too far and expose people of power or influence or cause a big loss of face ...Philippines style loss of face ... for government officials or armed forces officials.

Not always of course but the records are there to prove just how brutal they are and can be when journalists publish "too much of the truth"

At least here in Thailand they give you some room to maneuver rather than a deadly surprise encounter with a paid killer while effectively eliminating the troublesome gossip.

Cheers

yeah but that's apples and oranges. But least you know what to expect in the Philippines.

But Thailand is much more under the international spotlight through its continual desire to be seen as a tourist mecca (much more than the Philippines) and to be the potential hub of everything on earth.rolleyes.gif

You can't continually portray the image that you are a tourist friendly and business friendly destination when at the same time high ranking officials can engineer a situation where you can call your government mates and arrange for a person to be held in detention like this for no reason even when the judicial system has given him a green light. bah.gif

The original complaint to have him deported was in 2009, SIX years ago, so please don't blame the current government who most probably were as surprised as everybody else. Try a little research before posting.

This is the same case that caused a young American jouranlist to flee from Thailand ...5 or 7 years ago.

In the Philippines all too many journalist are more or less routinely murdered...execution style..... when they go too far and expose people of power or influence or cause a big loss of face ...Philippines style loss of face ... for government officials or armed forces officials.

Not always of course but the records are there to prove just how brutal they are and can be when journalists publish "too much of the truth"

At least here in Thailand they give you some room to maneuver rather than a deadly surprise encounter with a paid killer while effectively eliminating the troublesome gossip.

Cheers

yeah but that's apples and oranges. But least you know what to expect in the Philippines.

But Thailand is much more under the international spotlight through its continual desire to be seen as a tourist mecca (much more than the Philippines) and to be the potential hub of everything on earth.rolleyes.gif

You can't continually portray the image that you are a tourist friendly and business friendly destination when at the same time high ranking officials can engineer a situation where you can call your government mates and arrange for a person to be held in detention like this for no reason even when the judicial system has given him a green light. bah.gif

The original complaint to have him deported was in 2009, SIX years ago, so please don't blame the current government who most probably were as surprised as everybody else. Try a little research before posting.

Assumption is the mother of all <deleted!> I know but seeing a this bloke Supachai was in at Chula and Mr Ellis in that video says a high ranking army doctor was loitering outside of his house for days you can get an idea of who Supachai's mates are.

Not that it makes much of a difference, the girl that rammed the mini van off the tollway killing 9 people was during the democrats reign, redbull heir's case was during PTP. The elite always have enough sway one way or the other.

Edited by metisdead

If Wyn Ellis has lived in Thailand for 30 years, he should know better than to defame the Thai alpha male persona.

"Congratulations, you are now Thai. You expect people to say mai bpen rai and forget about it. Can you and I please swap passports? I want to leave this country of stupid people, and you can stay because you fit in well."

Your wife has enhanced states.

What a feisty lady definitely a keeper. I spend a lot of time pointing out to my g/f my perceived rights and wrongs here and she is catching on fast. She no longer swallows the party line(dogma) she is starting to analyze and really think for herself. Maybe I am creating a monster? She is learning to sift throw articles and pick out nuggets of information from all the BS she/we are surrounded by in our daily lives. I think she has a good heart/head start in life and will continue this train of thought long after I have bit the dust. This may be the land of smiles but not without some wrinkles and missing teeth.

As an ardent Bangkok Post reader I find the alleged treatment by them, of one of their staff reprehensible and bordering on downright dishonesty. Surely the buck stops with the editor. Is it no wonder that quite a lot of the news printed is mostly timorous watered down stuff. There are some very good honest journalists on the staff and surely they need the support and backing of the management. This is not the first time a reporter has been hung out to dry. Remember the cracked runway saga of the new airport? Back bone is sorely lacking.

I have to agree with you, and to add the general 'change of attitude' (kind of 'self censorship', or ...?) started, erm, let's jut say about 2011-2012.

I had well over 1,000 'opinions' published, mind you, out of nearly 4,000 sent in, but with their more recent (2014-2015) extra-'tightening of the knot' I have nearly abandoned wasting my time writing to them.

Another big minus is the way any reader, not even registered as a 'poster', is able to give several, many, 'like''s and 'don't like''s to a single item, allowing what I consider as a latent propagandistic abuse.

Also for these reasons, let me shout out: long live ThaiVisa!

Whatever the status of his Thai Citizenship. He was treated as a British National by the Thai authorities. (i.e. he was going to be deported)

About treatment of a claimant as a British National, see:

http://www.redress.org/downloads/publications/121001tortured_abroad.pdf

Extract from the source:

Dual nationality. Another example of the UK’s narrower approach concerns dual nationality. Draft Article 7 adopts the “predominant State” approach in respect of multiple/dual nationals,whereby only a State that is predominant at the time of injury and claim can make a claim against a second state of nationality. The UK position on the other hand is expressed in Rule III as follows:
Where the claimant is a dual national HMG may take up his claim (although in certain circumstances it may be appropriate for HMG to do so jointly with the other government entitled to do so). HMG will not normally take up his claim as a UK national if the respondent State is the State of his second nationality, but may do so if the respondent State has, in the circumstances which gave rise to the injury, treated the claimant as a UK national.

Also, about dual nationality and consular assistance/access for those arrested/detained at the receiving state where he/she is (in this case he may not be, so may not apply) a citizen see:

http://www.internationaljusticeproject.org/pdfs/GenericVCCRprint.pdf

However, some nations take the position that dual nationals arrested in one of their countries of citizenship are not entitled to notification of consular rights upon arrest.8 Other nations do not recognize the validity of dual nationality for their citizens, thus denying consular access to dual nationals arrested in their country of birth.9 Because national laws on citizenship rights can differ greatly, sending States may not always share the receiving State’s interpretation of consular obligations. Disputes over consular notification and access for dual nationals arrested in a country of citizenship may require diplomatic efforts to resolve.

Edited by meltingpot2015

An astonishing development. He should be given a whistleblower medal. The highest honor, for exposing a terrible weakness within Thai society. Does anyone see any irony in this? An official in charge of innovation is accused of being anything other than innovative with his stolen ideas? You could not make up something like this.

It also says volumes about the Thai judicial system and society in general. And the general level of fear, of the outside world. Even in the rare event you do win a case, you lose, as a foreigner. And I suppose the same applies to a Thai, who outs a corrupt and lying, thieving official.

Let us make it appear that we are moving Thailand forward, but let us not actually engage in acts that would allow us to accomplish that feat.

Edited by spidermike007

Cheers

could you please point out in which part of what I wrote there is any reference to the current government (or how you interpret anything I have written to be a reference to the current government)?ermm.gif

try reading what somebody has written before posting

Edited by Asiantravel

"The authorities attempted to deport Dr Ellis, who has lived in Thailand for 30 years, to Norway from where he arrived, but he refused to leave, according to The Telegraph."

what does it mean he refused to leave?! insolent!

this is up to Thai authorities to decide if he deserves a mercy to live in Thailand. if he is not agree - he can argue with Thai government from the country where he belongs to - Norway.

seems like he forgot that he is just a guest in Thailand and nobody cares how many years he managed to live in here.

Yes. Being a foreigner he is a guest in Thailand. And Thai people are not guests in Thailand, but brainwashed sheep being used as slaves. And they have no clue about it.

I know you agree deep inside somewhere. Or at least I hope so.

recall Ambassador in protest what a circus! where art thou General?

How many days ago was it that Thailand announced new stricter IP laws and warned about plagiarism?

This case does look a circus. Thai national caught well and truly for plagiarism. "Top" Thai university ignores it and still allows him to graduate with PhD. Only acts and strips him of it when the Times Education Supplement does an expose. Meanwhile, the guy who cheated, had complained to immigration to get the good Doctor blacklisted in 2009. The NIA wrote a letter asking immigration to cancel that request.

Had Dr. Ellis not been out and back since 2009? Also, why have immigration ignored the NIA letter asking for the blacklisting to be withdrawn? Why did the NIA still employ the cheat and convicted forger for a long time after all this came out? Is he related to or very friendly with someone senior at immigration? Or is this just another administration cock up there?

Another great example of how the elite rich and connected few are not only above the law (it seems to have caught up with him, but took long enough) but more worryingly can get the law manipulated and made up to favor them.

You'd hope the British Ambassador would be on the case like lightening. Not to mention the UN.

The PM needs to realize, and realize quickly, just how much of a joke Thailand is. This will reflect on all Thai universities and degrees. You can't stop cheats - but you can act quickly when they're caught.

All universities can use software to detect plagiarism. Many now insist thesis are submitting with the report from the plagiarizing software to show what % has been "quoted" from others. Maybe Chula didn't get it until after the Times expose whistling.gif

How many days ago was it that Thailand announced new stricter IP laws and warned about plagiarism?

This case does look a circus. Thai national caught well and truly for plagiarism. "Top" Thai university ignores it and still allows him to graduate with PhD. Only acts and strips him of it when the Times Education Supplement does an expose. Meanwhile, the guy who cheated, had complained to immigration to get the good Doctor blacklisted in 2009. The NIA wrote a letter asking immigration to cancel that request.

Had Dr. Ellis not been out and back since 2009? Also, why have immigration ignored the NIA letter asking for the blacklisting to be withdrawn? Why did the NIA still employ the cheat and convicted forger for a long time after all this came out? Is he related to or very friendly with someone senior at immigration? Or is this just another administration cock up there?

Another great example of how the elite rich and connected few are not only above the law (it seems to have caught up with him, but took long enough) but more worryingly can get the law manipulated and made up to favor them.

You'd hope the British Ambassador would be on the case like lightening. Not to mention the UN.

The PM needs to realize, and realize quickly, just how much of a joke Thailand is. This will reflect on all Thai universities and degrees. You can't stop cheats - but you can act quickly when they're caught.

All universities can use software to detect plagiarism. Many now insist thesis are submitting with the report from the plagiarizing software to show what % has been "quoted" from others. Maybe Chula didn't get it until after the Times expose whistling.gif

Its crazy.

From his Twitter

Day 5. No progress at Immigration. NIA Director Pun-Arj Chairatana failed to show up as requested. Shame on him!

He is still sitting in detention.

For what?

He has won all of his trials.

Hope he is suing the responsible persons.

The excuse will be: a procedural error.

Now 5 days behind bars for no reason!

Its crazy.

From his Twitter

Day 5. No progress at Immigration. NIA Director Pun-Arj Chairatana failed to show up as requested. Shame on him!

He is still sitting in detention.

For what?

He has won all of his trials.

Hope he is suing the responsible persons.

The excuse will be: a procedural error.

Now 5 days behind bars for no reason!

Are they just expecting for this to blow over and go away? cheesy.gif

Thank god for this internet age we live in.

Has his country any embassy in Bangkok

His country is Thailand as he has chosen to spend the past 30 years as a resident of Thailand. He does not pay tax in the UK, nor support UK society. He is a UK national and can request professional counsel from the UK Foreign Office. The advice he was given when he first started receiving death threats and was harassed on a regular basis was to leave Thailand. He chose to remain and to tough it out as he has spent the good part of his life here and is for all intents and purposes, "Thai" .

The harassment has now reached a new level with this state sanctioned detention. This has occurred under the military administration that promised a crackdown on corruption. and happiness for all. This is the same military administration that sanctioned the persecution of the Phuketwan.

There are three important aspects of this case that should convince foreigners not to invest in Thailand;

1. This is a state sanctioned event. 4 days in jail is not a misunderstanding. A trumped up false charge is not an error. The lesson taught, is that Thailand is a corrupt society where the legal system is used to oppress.

2. Khun Lorlowhakarn was awarded a PhD from Chulalongkorn in 2008 despite the allegations of plagiarism. The university took 2 years to complete an investigation that ended with the PhD being stripped from Lorlowakarn. A dissertation review panel is supposed to include experts in subject matter, which means they are supposed to be up to date on published research. It seems there were none. More embarrassing is the fact that the investigation showed that multiple sources had been plagiarized. If this had occurred at a reputable university and where intellectual integrity was valued, the PhD. candidate would have been expelled and subject to sanction. The review panel would have been investigated and the university itself could have been subject to sanction.

Is it any wonder then, that Thai universities do not have a good reputation, or that Chulalongkorn is known for this incident?. It's a nice feature in the the world university rankings. The takeaway is that integrity, respect for the work of others and honesty are foreign concepts in Thailand. As such, Thai people must be treated accordingly.

3. If you are a foreigner and run afoul of a Thai, your rights and due process mean nothing. You are just a foreigner and will be treated as such, no matter how educated, no matter your position in the world outside of Thailand, and no matter your contribution to Thailand. Only an impoverished fool with nothing to lose puts any faith in the Thai system.

This event cannot be explained away. Not even the loudest apologists can hush this up. Thailand is slowly, but surely moving to the abyss of sanctions and penalties. The Andy Hall and Phuketwan harassment, the ongoing complaints of trade dress and intellectual property theft, the unsafe airline sector situation, the fishing industry practices, the human trafficking, the endemic corruption and the quality of agricultural exports will give Thailand its well deserved reward.

Briggsy:

Then he should receive consular assistance from the British Consulate in Bangkok. There's no ambiguity.

He has received consular help, but here is not much the embassy can do except protest. What do you think a foreign government can do? Thailand is a sovereign nation and the UK embassy cannot interfere. Short of imposing trade sanctions, and invading, what exactly can the UK do? UK nationals could do something, by boycotting Thailand and Thai products.

The original advice given when the death threats and assaults began was to leave. The victim here chose to stay. I am not blaming him, and obviously he deserves our support, but this is the reality of a state sanctioned incarceration. 5 days in and no one from the General/Prime Minister's entourage has done anything.

Do you get the message? I do and so do my colleagues.

Has his country any embassy in Bangkok

His country is Thailand as he has chosen to spend the past 30 years as a resident of Thailand. He does not pay tax in the UK, nor support UK society. He is a UK national and can request professional counsel from the UK Foreign Office. The advice he was given when he first started receiving death threats and was harassed on a regular basis was to leave Thailand. He chose to remain and to tough it out as he has spent the good part of his life here and is for all intents and purposes, "Thai" .

The harassment has now reached a new level with this state sanctioned detention. This has occurred under the military administration that promised a crackdown on corruption. and happiness for all. This is the same military administration that sanctioned the persecution of the Phuketwan.

There are three important aspects of this case that should convince foreigners not to invest in Thailand;

1. This is a state sanctioned event. 4 days in jail is not a misunderstanding. A trumped up false charge is not an error. The lesson taught, is that Thailand is a corrupt society where the legal system is used to oppress.

2. Khun Lorlowhakarn was awarded a PhD from Chulalongkorn in 2008 despite the allegations of plagiarism. The university took 2 years to complete an investigation that ended with the PhD being stripped from Lorlowakarn. A dissertation review panel is supposed to include experts in subject matter, which means they are supposed to be up to date on published research. It seems there were none. More embarrassing is the fact that the investigation showed that multiple sources had been plagiarized. If this had occurred at a reputable university and where intellectual integrity was valued, the PhD. candidate would have been expelled and subject to sanction. The review panel would have been investigated and the university itself could have been subject to sanction.

Is it any wonder then, that Thai universities do not have a good reputation, or that Chulalongkorn is known for this incident?. It's a nice feature in the the world university rankings. The takeaway is that integrity, respect for the work of others and honesty are foreign concepts in Thailand. As such, Thai people must be treated accordingly.

3. If you are a foreigner and run afoul of a Thai, your rights and due process mean nothing. You are just a foreigner and will be treated as such, no matter how educated, no matter your position in the world outside of Thailand, and no matter your contribution to Thailand. Only an impoverished fool with nothing to lose puts any faith in the Thai system.

This event cannot be explained away. Not even the loudest apologists can hush this up. Thailand is slowly, but surely moving to the abyss of sanctions and penalties. The Andy Hall and Phuketwan harassment, the ongoing complaints of trade dress and intellectual property theft, the unsafe airline sector situation, the fishing industry practices, the human trafficking, the endemic corruption and the quality of agricultural exports will give Thailand its well deserved reward.

Epic post.

I have noticed the usual sycophants and apologists have been noticeably absent from this thread. There is literally no defending this.

A person could not make this stuff up. Too bad someone does not make a movie of this. It seems full in intrigue and corruption. I particularly liked the article of the journalist. Fascinating back story there. For all those who just think Thailand is the most wonderful place in the world and that the Thai people are so welcoming and friendly, wake up. While I have many Thai friends in Thailand and I value their friendship, I am able to see the bigger picture too. I am always amazed at my mostly retired faring friends living in Thailand that seem to just go about their daily lives with their heads buried in the sand. They were so happy that the military took over and they were then able to figure out where they could go to lunch and not have protesters interfere with their lives. They really think everything is running smoothly now with the military in charge. It can really be said that one corrupt government just replaces another corrupt government. It's all about who feeds at the trough. This man obviously loves his work and wants to help Thai Agriculture. You would think the Thai government would have been praising him for his work and for showing corruption. But in Thailand you don't rock the boat. Nothing will change in my lifetime and corruption is so ingrained that the only thing that talks is money. This will be very interesting to follow and I hope TV keeps this at the forefront.

Briggsy:

Then he should receive consular assistance from the British Consulate in Bangkok. There's no ambiguity.

He has received consular help, but here is not much the embassy can do except protest. What do you think a foreign government can do? Thailand is a sovereign nation and the UK embassy cannot interfere. Short of imposing trade sanctions, and invading, what exactly can the UK do? UK nationals could do something, by boycotting Thailand and Thai products.

The original advice given when the death threats and assaults began was to leave. The victim here chose to stay. I am not blaming him, and obviously he deserves our support, but this is the reality of a state sanctioned incarceration. 5 days in and no one from the General/Prime Minister's entourage has done anything.

Your colleagues?

Briggsy:

Part of your post is identical to a facebook post I made in July 2015.

I said:

Boycott Visiting Thailand. Also boycott their products

Thailand is still under military rule. Although, they say its not. It clearly is. ...

Your post says:

...UK nationals could do something, by boycotting Thailand and Thai products.

coincidence?. I don't think so.

edit: George Orwell did warn us about the surveillance state, each of them sovereign.

Edited by meltingpot2015