Inguinal Hernia Government Hospital Costs

Petchabun Man

Are there any good government hospitals in Nakhon Sawan , or in Prachuap Kriri Khan City for hernia repairs and what are the costs ? Any recommendations i would be grateful for. They do not have to be in these places mentioned but likely i will be there for awhile. Any idea how long it takes to get a appointment , waiting time, costs etc. I would be very grateful for any help. A little worried as i have never had this done before. Any advice would be wonderful.

In Nakhon Sawan, either:

Sawan Pracharak Hospital (the main govt hospital in the provincial capital) - it is a regional facility

or

one of the 2 military hospitals (which are open to civilians as well):

Fort Jiraprawat Hospital (Army)

Royal Thai Air Force Wing 4 Hospital

The regional hospital will be very busy and crossed and likely a long wait (as in am onth or more, mayeb even several months) for elective surgery. So I would suggest either the Army or AF hospitals. Other TV members have had good experiences with surgery at the Army Hospital there. There may still be some wait but nothing like what it would be in the regional hospital. The thing about military hospitals in Thailand is that for Thais, they are free only to the military and their dependents and others have to pay, whereas they can get free treatment at the regular govt hosp, so the regular govt hospitals are packed but the military hospitals usually much less so.. As a foreigner you have to pay regardless and the fees are about the same so makes no difference. Plus being a regional center it gets referrals from the surrounding provinces.

The quality of care is usually good in military hospitals and certainly should be fine for something as routine as a hernia repair.

Cost I don't know but it will not be much. Likely under 30,000 baht, maybe much under. Anyway it will be as low as it gets in Thailand.

Very straightforward as I recall. One night in hospital (which I think was optional) and one after the op. I went in for one side only, but the surgeon looked at the other while he was fishing around down there and decided it also merited a repair. Mine were done laparoscopically (micro instrumentation and mini camera inserted through small 1-2cm cuts made an inch or two either side of the belly button which are not now noticeable under my hairs*. So, if you are vain, make sure to ask for that approach! (maybe it's the only way these days).

The fact it was done almost entirely internally with tele-surgery meant that recovery time was very quick. I was given a general and I don't recall any pain to speak of when I woke up. You will need someone to collect you 24 hours after the surgery and of course no running for a week or two! I was told to expect I might walk a bit gingerly at first, but in fact I had no problem walking straight away.

Mine was UK private under insurance at the (expensive) London Hospital 10 years ago - cost about GBP 2,500 then I think (US$3,700), so a quarter to one third of that would be my expectation for Thailand - maybe cheaper if done the straightforward old-style way with longer cuts in the groin area.

*slightly detectable indents when I had to shave there for scabies nine years later!

Edited by SantiSuk

Any idea about the hospital in Prachuap Kriri Khan or the newArmy small hospital at Ao Manao ?

In Nakhon Sawan, either:

Sawan Pracharak Hospital (the main govt hospital in the provincial capital) - it is a regional facility

or

one of the 2 military hospitals (which are open to civilians as well):

Fort Jiraprawat Hospital (Army)

Royal Thai Air Force Wing 4 Hospital

The regional hospital will be very busy and crossed and likely a long wait (as in am onth or more, mayeb even several months) for elective surgery. So I would suggest either the Army or AF hospitals. Other TV members have had good experiences with surgery at the Army Hospital there. There may still be some wait but nothing like what it would be in the regional hospital. The thing about military hospitals in Thailand is that for Thais, they are free only to the military and their dependents and others have to pay, whereas they can get free treatment at the regular govt hosp, so the regular govt hospitals are packed but the military hospitals usually much less so.. As a foreigner you have to pay regardless and the fees are about the same so makes no difference. Plus being a regional center it gets referrals from the surrounding provinces.

The quality of care is usually good in military hospitals and certainly should be fine for something as routine as a hernia repair.

Cost I don't know but it will not be much. Likely under 30,000 baht, maybe much under. Anyway it will be as low as it gets in Thailand.

The government Hospital in Prachuap Kriri Khan is a lower level facility than the one in Nakhon Sawan.

There are 2 military hospitals in Prachuab: Fort Thanarat Hospital (army) and Royal Thai Air Force Wing 53 Hospital. Fort Thanarat is right off Phetkasem rioad. I don't know anything about a new, small army hospital near Ao Minao...but smaller is not usually a good idea. I think Fort Thanarat is pretty large, could try there.

I have had 2 done at BKK Hospital. Around 48,000 for the last one.

Last government hospital I went to (Udon) will be the last unless I am unconscious. More like an over crowded vet clinic but they do have private rooms which are not too bad. There is a waiting time for them though.

So you would say Nakhon Sawan would be a better choice overall ? The Army hospital is likely more easy to get into and the same price as the big public hospital ? Likely less than 30,000 baht ? thank you so much for your help. i am worried and not that wealthy.

The government Hospital in Prachuap Kriri Khan is a lower level facility than the one in Nakhon Sawan.

There are 2 military hospitals in Prachuab: Fort Thanarat Hospital (army) and Royal Thai Air Force Wing 53 Hospital. Fort Thanarat is right off Phetkasem rioad. I don't know anything about a new, small army hospital near Ao Minao...but smaller is not usually a good idea. I think Fort Thanarat is pretty large, could try there.

Khon Kaen University (Srinigarind) Hospital is a regional medical center affiliated with a medical school. Excellent quality.

As with all government hospitals, very affordable but expect red tape and waits. For an elective procedure like this, likely a long wait list. On the other hand, as it is elective and if you are in Thailand permanently, there is no rush.

It will take several trips to arrange, in contrast to a private hospital where you can set it up all in one visit and go right in usually the very next day if desired. And you will need to arrive by early morning on the initial visits. If you live far from Khon Kaen town need to factor this (time and travel costs) into your thinking. Sometimes the added cost of a private hospital isn't actually all that much more if you have to incur a lot of costs for travel and even hotel stays to avail of the government hospital, and/or if for you time is money.