it hertz to be wrong

jtTamad

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

whistling.gif Hertz is a measure of Frequency.

Or as I originally learned in basic electronics, MANY years ago Cycles Per Second.

If all you have is an "electric Kettle" I doubt that "Hertz" has anything to do with it.

Unless I'm wrong, (not the first time), your original problem is or was that the "electric Kettle"

Was really designed for a 120 VOLT input and your Thai socket provided 220 VOLTS and you burned the heating element coil in the kettle by applying that voltage to it.

It is not unusual in Thailand for 220 volt outlets, especially in old Thai houses, to have an mains outlet that has two slots and looks very much like the normal (old style) American 120 volt mains outlet.

Unfortunately the 120 volt plug on the kettle might have fitted in the wall plug, which probably means you burned out the heating element when you plugged in the "kettle".

That's what I'm guessing happened anyhow.

The above is the danger of buying electrical appliances on the net, particularly from US based companies.

There are numerous threads on Thaivisa by our friends from across the pond who have seen the Thai (220V) outlet and plugged in a US (115V) appliance resulting in smoke and tears.

BTW the Philippines also has US style outlets and is 220V but 60Hz, I believe the only country that has the 220V 60Hz standard.

The kettle is a purely resistive load and frequency (hertz) should have no effect on it, but voltage will. As long as you plug it into a 120vac outlet the frequency will not affect it be it 50, 60 or even 400hz (used on aircraft). You most likely fried the heating element when you plugged it into a Thai 220vac outlet and it is trash.

whistling.gif Hertz is a measure of Frequency.

Or as I originally learned in basic electronics, MANY years ago Cycles Per Second.

If all you have is an "electric Kettle" I doubt that "Hertz" has anything to do with it.

Unless I'm wrong, (not the first time), your original problem is or was that the "electric Kettle"

Was really designed for a 120 VOLT input and your Thai socket provided 220 VOLTS and you burned the heating element coil in the kettle by applying that voltage to it.

It is not unusual in Thailand for 220 volt outlets, especially in old Thai houses, to have an mains outlet that has two slots and looks very much like the normal (old style) American 120 volt mains outlet.

Unfortunately the 120 volt plug on the kettle might have fitted in the wall plug, which probably means you burned out the heating element when you plugged in the "kettle".

That's what I'm guessing happened anyhow.

yeah, thanks

Believe it or not the primary AC electrical power system in the aircraft that fly all over the world is 120VAC. at 400hz. The small outlets that are available to passengers in the cabin are usually 120vac, 60 hz and are usually labeled as such. The primary DC voltage is 28VDC.

They use 400hz because it is more cost effective as the weight and size of the components required to generate 120VAC at 400hz are smaller and lighter than those required to generate it at 50hz or 60hz.

offtopic.gif but just answering soutpeel!

I think the real issue here is an American buying a "kettle". What's that about???

He's lived here for 10 years and after hearing British English, words, phrases and slang his "electric pot" has turned into a "kettle". Hell, I've live here for almost 18 years and find myself adding un-needed letters to words rather than try to re-educate

the masses! Please explain why the letter "u" is added to a simple word like color (colour) or how a simple circuit breaker box becomes a "consumer unit".

My wife was and my step son is a "consumer unit" and they wouldn't know a fuse from a circuit breaker!

Early morning rant over!

By the way, when you work on the electric, please note: putting your fingers into 110 Volt is most of the time harmless....OK, you can still kill yourself but most of the time you survive.

220 is way more dangerous......More likely to kill you.

The 3 phase version which you may have in your house has 380-400 Volt and it is a real killer..

huh.png

It's the current you've got to watch out for, not the voltage.

Anyone who tells you that it's okay to stick your fingers into any sort of electrical outlet is seriously taking the piss. They also won't be paying your laundry/medical/funeral expenses.

While skin does have some resistance to electrical current, perspiration will ensure that resistance is very low.

Three phase being supplied within the house/condo? Must be some house! Can I go 'round and plug an extension lead in for my industrial welder? Anyway, don't worry about three phase sockets. You'd be flat out trying to plug your single phase appliances into one of those.

I think the real issue here is an American buying a "kettle". What's that about???

He's lived here for 10 years and after hearing British English, words, phrases and slang his "electric pot" has turned into a "kettle". Hell, I've live here for almost 18 years and find myself adding un-needed letters to words rather than try to re-educate

the masses! Please explain why the letter "u" is added to a simple word like color (colour) or how a simple circuit breaker box becomes a "consumer unit".

My wife was and my step son is a "consumer unit" and they wouldn't know a fuse from a circuit breaker!

Early morning rant over!

I've been out of the USA for a long time. Didn't know what to call it. Like kettle more than pot.

I bought a "pot" at the place in Central before this one. It didn't work either. DO they sell 120 kettles in the stores here?

No.

BTW, I remember years ago in the US we called it a kettle but it was put on the stove to heat. Plus, most Americans (AFAIK) drink coffee and will have a coffee maker. The US does actually manufacturer electric kettles and can be bought at many stores such as Walmart. Believe it a more recent thing as before I moved to Thailand I've never seen one before until I came here.

If you plugged a 110V kettle into a 220V system I'm surprised it didn't pop a breaker as the current will have doubled over normal use.

The above is the danger of buying electrical appliances on the net, particularly from US based companies.

There are numerous threads on Thaivisa by our friends from across the pond who have seen the Thai (220V) outlet and plugged in a US (115V) appliance resulting in smoke and tears.

BTW the Philippines also has US style outlets and is 220V but 60Hz, I believe the only country that has the 220V 60Hz standard.

It is a holdout then. Australia and quite a few countries used 60hz for many years however about 20 years ago they changed everything to the internationally more accepted 50hz. That was about the same time as they dropped the voltage gfrom 250/260 to 230/240.

It was probabl about the same time as they upped the price for giving you less.

Edited by harrry

If it stinks throw it to the bin.

If it does not stink try your luck at a local repair shop.

Somewhat amusing how a thread with this trivial topic can reach 50+ posts biggrin.png

For your travel plans: avoid this little part of the world (estimated: >4 billion people) that is blue (at least with a 120 V kettle cheesy.gif ).

Tabular list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

From the German WiKi. Not in the English article tongue.png

post-99794-0-76335100-1441783024_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

I bought a "pot" at the place in Central before this one. It didn't work either. DO they sell 120 kettles in the stores here?

Me thinks there's a good chance that you are related to your avatar. Or are you just trying to wind everyone up ?

It is a holdout then. Australia and quite a few countries used 60hz for many years however about 20 years ago they changed everything to the internationally more accepted 50hz. That was about the same time as they dropped the voltage gfrom 250/260 to 230/240.

Australia changed to 60hz about 20 years ago?

Are you sure about that?

When I did my electrical apprenticeship ('84 - '87), we were taught that domestic/industrial Australian supply was 240/415VAC at 50 Hz.

To go back, even further, our Sanyo colour television, purchased in time to watch the 1976 Montreal Olympic Games, has a label on the back, "240VAC, 50Hz". I am 100% positive that we didn't plug it into a 250/260V, 60Hz socket or we wouldn't have had a house full of kids watching Bugs Bunny and The Road Runner, in colour.

Are you sure about that?

When I did my electrical apprenticeship ('84 - '87), we were taught that domestic/industrial Australian supply was 240/415VAC at 50 Hz.

To go back, even further, our Sanyo colour television, purchased in time to watch the 1976 Montreal Olympic Games, has a label on the back, "240VAC, 50Hz". I am 100% positive that we didn't plug it into a 250/260V, 60Hz socket or we wouldn't have had a house full of kids watching Bugs Bunny and The Road Runner, in colour.

Yes, I agree. As a teenager in the 60's I clearly recall 240v was the standard.

It "MAY" have been 260v in the past, but I doubt it. If so it was much longer than 20 years ago.

Are you sure about that?

You read wrong, Australia changed to 50Hz

"That was about the same time as they dropped the voltage from 250/260 to 230/240."

No, me thinks you may have read wrong ! Unless my understanding of basic English has diminished over the years, the statement says, "dropped the voltage".

By the way, when you work on the electric, please note: putting your fingers into 110 Volt is most of the time harmless....OK, you can still kill yourself but most of the time you survive.

220 is way more dangerous......More likely to kill you.

The 3 phase version which you may have in your house has 380-400 Volt and it is a real killer..

huh.png

It's the current you've got to watch out for, not the voltage.

Anyone who tells you that it's okay to stick your fingers into any sort of electrical outlet is seriously taking the piss. They also won't be paying your laundry/medical/funeral expenses.

While skin does have some resistance to electrical current, perspiration will ensure that resistance is very low.

Three phase being supplied within the house/condo? Must be some house! Can I go 'round and plug an extension lead in for my industrial welder? Anyway, don't worry about three phase sockets. You'd be flat out trying to plug your single phase appliances into one of those.

I have 3 phase installed in my house.

Actually the assertion that 3-phase is significantly more dangerous than single-phase is to a large degree a fallacy.

Thailand, like the UK and Oz is 3-phase 4-wire, a 3-phase star (Y) connected transformer with the star point (the neutral) grounded.

No point in the system is more than 220V above ground so the biggest single-point to earth shock you can get is still 220V (still not nice of course).

In order to get a 380V shock you would have to connect yourself between two phases, not something you can readily achieve accidentally unless live working, not normally a smart idea.

Actually the assertion that 3-phase is significantly more dangerous than single-phase is to a large degree a fallacy.

Thailand, like the UK and Oz is 3-phase 4-wire, a 3-phase star (Y) connected transformer with the star point (the neutral) grounded.

No point in the system is more than 220V above ground so the biggest single-point to earth shock you can get is still 220V (still not nice of course).

In order to get a 380V shock you would have to connect yourself between two phases, not something you can readily achieve accidentally unless live working, not normally a smart idea.

A way you could be dead stupid if you did.

DC though as I was taught in my radio and radar days in the army can be much more dangerous as even low dc shocks contract the muscles of the hand and tend not to release. AC often causes spasm which leads to releasing the cause of the shock