Strange soft, watery meat at Moo Kata Restaurants

Bardeh

The missus and I went out for a Moo Kata this evening. We chose the place because we hadn't been there before and it had a huge play area which we knew our young son would love. I'm not a HUGE fan of Moo Kata, but it's OK from time to time to eat a nice bit of BBQ'd chicken and pork. However, today was one of a few places we've tried over the past year or so where the meat looks fine before you cook it, but it never gets nice and grilled, is weirdly soft, and just has this strange squishy texture. It's like it's been injected with a load of water or something. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just wondering what it is they're doing to the meat, and why. It's immediately obvious when you put the first piece on the grill, and it's just disgusting and ruins perfectly good food.

I dunno. They could be injecting or marinating it with water but that water might also have meat tenderizer in it. Meat tenderizer is made of enzymes which are derived from papaya (Papain) and bromelain which is derived from pineapple. It is said to be safe as it is all natural and it breaks down the fibers that make meat tough.

Again I dunno but if I were trying to make what you describe I'd either inject or marinate the meat with commercial tenderizer which is a powder you mix in water.

Cheers.

. . many many years ago I heard a story, which i found very shocking, however until today it still remains unconfirmed for. A buddy of mine then, he told me that Thais used to marinade meats in Formaldehyde, in order to keep them fresh much longer. When the practise became more widespread, it came to the notion of the relevant health authorities. They immediately cracked down on it and made it illegal in Thailand, in a nationwide campaign.

Maybe the meat you ate there has undergone Formaldehyde treatment, which could be an isolated incident. Some of the older people might still know about the old practise to keep meats fresh.

Formaldehyde is a strong cancer causing agent and should be avoided at all times.

I would not openly confromt them with this issue. Like I said, nobody has ever been able to confirm this story my buddy in 1996 told me. So please feel warned not to insult anyone. Think of my input as with a large MAYBE in front of it . . . .

I know what you mean. I bought this weird bacon that was on sale at Macro. When I put it in the frying pan (low heat), I expected the fat to disolve and lubricate the pan. Instead, the meat refused to turn brown, and just oozed water (not fat/oil). Basically, just stuck to the pan and did not appear to cook. I had this crap in my freezer for a month (It was a big pack).

Never bought it again, needless to say...and it took months before I was brave enough to eat bacon again. Now I found a place where I can buy it, and it sizzles and cooks as expected. Also smells great, and I am enjoy bacon and eggs..once again (and ensuring my stroke is on schedule).

Formaldehyde is a strong cancer causing agent and should be avoided at all times.

Sorry, that's tosh. According to the American National Cancer Institute it's a "probable human carcinogen under conditions of unusually high or prolonged exposure", so it's clearly not a "strong cancer causing agent" and is of no significant cancer risk in small quantities.

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/formaldehyde/formaldehyde-fact-sheet#q4

It's also unlikely to be the cause of the soft, watery meat since formaldehyde cross links proteins, making tissue firmer, rather than softer.

As mentioned before, the meat was probably exposed for too long to a meat tenderiser.

Pay 99 or is it 109 baht now where you live for all you can eat BBQ and what else can you expect but tasteless meat and vegetables boiled in a pan of fatty oily water.

I have been to many a Moo Kata and each time is worse than the last for me.

I detest nothing more than sitting around a charcoal fire in 35 degree temperatures dipping scraps of chicken and pork on a makeshift BBQ.

Even the likes of MK isn't much better save for the aircon.

I know what you mean. I bought this weird bacon that was on sale at Macro. When I put it in the frying pan (low heat), I expected the fat to disolve and lubricate the pan. Instead, the meat refused to turn brown, and just oozed water (not fat/oil). Basically, just stuck to the pan and did not appear to cook. I had this crap in my freezer for a month (It was a big pack).

Never bought it again, needless to say...and it took months before I was brave enough to eat bacon again. Now I found a place where I can buy it, and it sizzles and cooks as expected. Also smells great, and I am enjoy bacon and eggs..once again (and ensuring my stroke is on schedule).

would say we got the same one, you described it perfectly, wouldnt brown /crisp up and was watery as with not taste, gave the lot to the dogs

would say we got the same one, you described it perfectly, wouldnt brown /crisp up and was watery as with not taste, gave the lot to the dogs

That behaviour is the result of the pig meat being treated with polyphosphates which absorb and hold in water. The bacon then weights more and so can be sold at a higher price; the consumer is paying for water and the producer makes more profit. The technique is also widely used with chicken meat in Europe. Don't know about with chicken here in Thailand.

It would have been 'moo nim' (soft pork) - tenderised pork using some none-threatening meat tenderiser like citric acid. Often used in those Korean barbeque type places and available in large frozen packs in Makro.

My wife plus family love the stuff. I think it's slimy and prefer un-tenderised meat.

Correct. Used for any meat in industry, but just as MSG that only industry use, Thai are stupid enough to use it on fresh food....

That behaviour is the result of the pig meat being treated with polyphosphates which absorb and hold in water. The bacon then weights more and so can be sold at a higher price; the consumer is paying for water and the producer makes more profit. The technique is also widely used with chicken meat in Europe. Don't know about with chicken here in Thailand.

It would have been 'moo nim' (soft pork) - tenderised pork using some none-threatening meat tenderiser like citric acid. Often used in those Korean barbeque type places and available in large frozen packs in Makro.

My wife plus family love the stuff. I think it's slimy and prefer un-tenderised meat.

My wife and I can't stand it, but the place was really busy with Thais scoffing it down quite happily. Give me a good bit of meat that browns nicely any day.

Archived