Reverse Double Pricing

geronimo

I reckon the OP has made it up - just to get the hot-tempered Farangs amongst us worked up .... and he has succeeded in several cases...... :o

Of course the idea is nonsensical and not worth more than a glance...................

I didn't make it up and actually my friend has just told me exactly how he's going to do this. The establishment will be a club and membership will be at the discretion of the owner. Members get a small discount on everything so ......................... and also he said that with what he's heard about thais and alcohol mixing together, he thinks he'd rather keep it strictly expat if possible.

I reckon the OP has made it up - just to get the hot-tempered Farangs amongst us worked up .... and he has succeeded in several cases...... :o

Of course the idea is nonsensical and not worth more than a glance...................

I didn't make it up and actually my friend has just told me exactly how he's going to do this. The establishment will be a club and membership will be at the discretion of the owner. Members get a small discount on everything so ......................... and also he said that with what he's heard about thais and alcohol mixing together, he thinks he'd rather keep it strictly expat if possible.

Check back with us in a year .... let us know how much money your 'friend' lost :D

Hey I don't like 2 tier pricing, but there is a positive way of doing it. Give a discount to people holding a foreign passport (or are obviously foreign)--anything like Driver's licence from a foreign country would do.

I had a Thai friend who accompanied me to the US some years back. Everywhere we went he got discounts up the wazoo because he had a foreign passport. Took the train--he got one of those special tickets, could go anywhere, get off anytime, get back on--I paid and paid and paid.

Things like this shouldn't be about hurting anyone, it should be about marketing an idea.

Best of luck to him.

I promise to check it out. When does it open? And in what (broad) area?

Cheers!

Even though I'm against double pricing for foreiners here in LOS, I don't like the idea you suggesting.

It reminds me of a hostess bar that caters to Japanese that has a sign outside that says "Japanese only" :o

How would you feel of a similar sign in your home country that says "Thais only"? :D

There are Japanese businesses in Hawaii and probably elsewhere in the US which rudely turn away non-Japanese. It is enraging.

Even though I'm against double pricing for foreiners here in LOS, I don't like the idea you suggesting.

It reminds me of a hostess bar that caters to Japanese that has a sign outside that says "Japanese only" :o

How would you feel of a similar sign in your home country that says "Thais only"? :D

There are Japanese businesses in Hawaii and probably elsewhere in the US which rudely turn away non-Japanese. It is enraging.

Verbally turning away non-Japanese customer I believe, doubt they'll be a sign stating it in the US.

Imagine having a hostess bar business close to where the KKK members frequent :D

I certainly wouldn't got there, I like Thai people and don't like the kind of farnang who don't.

I think you missed the whole point, which is not to exclude Thais, but to protest the price-gouging of farang which is so common and apparently acceptable to Thais.

Protest by losing money...hmm...you could be onto something.

Effective Protest = Use PR means to appeal to relevant govt officials to instigate policy; use influence via ambassadors to punish the TAT etc

Pointless Protest = Encourage Thai people not to visit somewhere; what kind of an idiot protest is that?!

Sorry...just don't see this as a protest; it is a marketing scheme; I personally doubt it will work more effectively than what is already in the market but then again there are countless places in BKK where Thais aren't welcome so this is yet another.

I hope someone is willing to protest me by giving me money. I think that would be very effective.

The Thonglor area is has many places stating "Japanese Only". Someone should open a pub called Hiroshima, and one of the drinks called "Fat Boy".

Are there equal rights legislation in Thailand?

I guess it doesn't bother most Thais. It doesn't look like discrimination in their eyes:(

or these places would at least be harrased or on the other hand the owner has major connections with thugs :o

I can't see why all the big fuss about "2 tier pricing". In Hawaii they do this all over, except they call it a "kamaaina discount" (discount for local people). Why shouldn't the locals who are on fixed income, receive a small discount to eat in a place, whose prices are higher than normal because of the foreigners anyway. The restaurant owner makes a few extra bucks from the tourists who can afford it, he makes a "regular" profit from the locals who otherwise couldn't afford to eat there at all. No one complains about it.

I can't see why all the big fuss about "2 tier pricing". In Hawaii they do this all over, except they call it a "kamaaina discount" (discount for local people). Why shouldn't the locals who are on fixed income, receive a small discount to eat in a place, whose prices are higher than normal because of the foreigners anyway. The restaurant owner makes a few extra bucks from the tourists who can afford it, he makes a "regular" profit from the locals who otherwise couldn't afford to eat there at all. No one complains about it.

I think that they are getting to the point where the price for farang is getting a bit high. The Night Safari in Chaing Mai is a case in point - the place is almost deserted. It costs more to go to it than equivalent places in the UK - a family of 4 pay around 2000 baht.

They have put off the planned increase in prices for national parks, etc. And I bet that when thet;s introduced people will go somewhere else.

How is he going to achieve this? For example, the two tier pricing I've seen is where the Thai price is written in Thai (Thai numbers), I don't know any Thai's that can't read arabic numerals (as used in English). Seems very unsound to me.

Being able to read the Thai price doesn't mean you'll be allowed to pay it!

The answer to the question, of course, is to use Roman numerals in the Farang prices. Prices like 'lxxv ฿' will be adequately cryptic.

How is he going to achieve this? For example, the two tier pricing I've seen is where the Thai price is written in Thai (Thai numbers), I don't know any Thai's that can't read arabic numerals (as used in English). Seems very unsound to me.

Being able to read the Thai price doesn't mean you'll be allowed to pay it!

The answer to the question, of course, is to use Roman numerals in the Farang prices. Prices like 'lxxv ฿' will be adequately cryptic.

Interesting concept, but there are 3 problems:

a: I last studied roman numerals at school - some 20 years ago - and I can manage up to about 40 - will his prices in the bar reflect this

b: After a few beers the numerals start to sway a little bit and I'm not sure that I can keep track of all the x's.

c: I'm all out of Roman Sovereigns - will the bar owner have somewhere I can exchange Thai currency for Roman?

One more problem is that when you have the 30 in numeral it is displayed as XXX - that is just going to confuse most non-native English speakers. :o

The Thonglor area is has many places stating "Japanese Only". Someone should open a pub called Hiroshima, and one of the drinks called "Fat Boy"

Are there equal rights legislation in Thailand?...good one....

:o

The Thonglor area is has many places stating "Japanese Only". Someone should open a pub called Hiroshima, and one of the drinks called "Fat Boy".

Are there equal rights legislation in Thailand?

And someone should open a bar naming it 'Dutch murders and other trocities in Indonesia' or something as sensitive as that. (Unless you were naming the Fat Boy bar after yourself, of course)

There seems to be this propensity here on TV to be able to hurl any slurs and insults at Japan and Japanese . . . and it seems to be ok . . . sad, really. (No, I'm not Japanese, neither is my wife, unlce, in-laws . . . etc ad infinitum)

Piet - no offense - you're full of rubbish - - - as is evidenced by your next question regarding equal rights . . .