Married With A Non B , Should I Change To An O ?

I've been working in Thailand on a non B for 7years, the last 3 years on a one year visa, renewed every year in Bangkok.I have not left Thailand for the last 3 years.

If I go ahead and marry my girlfriend of 5years, is there a need to change to an O visa ?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage for me or my girlfriend of an O visa ?

appriciate any help, thanks

If you're confident of continuing to get your extensions based on employment there is no reason to change :o

Be aware that should you lose your job your extension will be cancelled and you will have 7 days to leave the country OR to change your visa status to 'support thai spouse', the second requires 400k in the bank.

Pilchard, Thanks for asking that! Same-same but different, already married! :o

Crossy, I wonder if my cash in my Thailand retirement fund would work to meet the O requirement in a pinch? Or does that 400k need to be documented as imported money?

Thanks!

Pilchard, Thanks for asking that! Same-same but different, already married! :o

Crossy, I wonder if my cash in my Thailand retirement fund would work to meet the O requirement in a pinch? Or does that 400k need to be documented as imported money?

Thanks!

400 k doesn't need to be transferred from outside country. You are able to use your retirement fund here in Thailand to apply for long term visa as married. The thing is that they want to see that you are able to survive here in the country. However, it is required to show your bank statement 3 months backward on the date of submission of application because they don't want to just borrow 400 k from somebody to qualify to have a long term visa as married.

Good luck