Anyone know where I can get lard/Shortning

edd

I used to buy Lard, the Americans call it "shortening" from Makro but now they say they never have had it.

That's funny because I bought some about 6 months ago there.

Also from Makro in Udon Thani and in Nongkai.

Ha-Ho !

TIT.

I hope you bakers can help.

Been making it myself for years, only using belly fat which is the best for lard. Easy to do.

Yep, that's the best lard you can have, but bakers are not fond of that animal fat taste in their bread, cookies etc.

Shortening is everywhere available at Makro, Bakery Marts and the more professional outlets.

It is nothing more than hydrogenated palm or soy oil. Infact the bad fat four your health. Saturated.

That's the stuff of real fish and chips licklips.gif

Very good for heart attacks but tastes great.

Yes but beef dripping,not many places use it now it's out of fashion and unhealthy.

Whatever...what you think you will die off? Way to go is to not care about what 'they' say (including me) that is not good for you.

I drink, I eat butter, factory ham, eggs, smoke once in a while, eat my pills 555 and just do what I feel like.

Can choke tomorrow, but sofar almost 70.

I live in Bangkok not Pattaya but there is a baking goods shop about a block from my house, used mostly by Thai women, I buy shorting there and it is very inexpensive. They call it " White Butter". Ask for that and I bet they will know what your are talking about.

"I used to buy Lard, the Americans call it "shortening"..."

Actually we call it shortening if it's made from vegetable oil (Crisco) and lard if it's from animal fat.

Animal fat is rendered before calling it lard.

Cheers.

PS Thai women probably have eaten too much shortening because their average height is about 5'1". giggle.gif

Edited by NeverSure

PPS The term shortening comes from another term "short" which describes a baked item. For instance we have "shortbread" cookies that are very crumbly and melt in the mouth due to a lot of "shortening". In baker's parlance, "that dough is really short". "Those cookies are really short".

To confuse, it doesn't matter whether the shortbread is made with shortening or lard, it's still "short".

Cheers.

Most local markets have a stall selling bottles of pig fat as cheap as chips.

It an off yellow sludge because of the local ambient temperature but put it in the fridge & it will solidify to the state that we are more used to.

Cheap as chips & was/is the main oil used for frying in the villages & where needed used in oil lamps before electricity was available

That's the stuff of real fish and chips licklips.gif

Very good for heart attacks but tastes great.

Yes but beef dripping,not many places use it now it's out of fashion and unhealthy.

You have been reading too many readers' Digest articles. (joke). Lard is healthier than palm oil for a start, I can't be bothered to google it again.