Thai Deputy PM: New charter draft still to target reform and reconciliation

webfact

Deputy PM: New charter draft still to target reform and reconciliation

BANGKOK, 10 September 2015 (NNT) – Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam has assured that the selection of new charter drafters will finish on time and that reform and reconciliation will remain the goal of the new draft.

Mr Wissanu revealed that Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha is currently in the process of searching for the appropriate persons to serve in the new 21-member Constitution Drafting Committee. According to him, the appointment will definitely be made within the 30-day timeframe or possibly before September 23rd when the Prime Minister will be traveling to the United States to attend the United Nations General Assembly.

Speaking of the new chairman of the charter drafting team, Mr Wissanu said he personally would prefer a person who has sound knowledge of the law. Meanwhile, the drafting members should fully meet their qualifications and should be free of political involvement for at least three years.

The Deputy Prime Minister added that anyone with a different perspective from that of the government would also be welcome to join the drafting team. Nonetheless, he said the ultimate goal of the new draft charter will still be in line with the government’s intention to reform and reconcile the nation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-10 footer_n.gif

The draft Charter contains two types of reforms: 1) a variety of measures designed to diminish or eliminate the power of elected leaders, and 2) a laundry list of reform ideas, with no prioritization or identifiable framework.

Item 1) has been widely criticized and is the supposed reason the draft Charter was rejected by the NRC.

Item 2) is not worthy of discussion, and would be ignored by any future government as it is half-baked.

Unless item 1) is reversed, there will be no reconciliation; just the opposite.

coffee1.gif

I hope the Prime Minister remembers the infamous line from Albert Einstein that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting to get a different result is the definition of insanity unsure.png

I think Einstein also mentioned 'doing it in the same way without feedback from previous experements'.

I would assume the new CDC will collect info on why the 'old' NRC members voted against (or even for) and further listen to remarks from anyone else who had seen and read the draft charter which was voted down.

I do doubt though that they'll ask TVF members, not even your local Dutch uncle.

The draft Charter contains two types of reforms: 1) a variety of measures designed to diminish or eliminate the power of elected leaders, and 2) a laundry list of reform ideas, with no prioritization or identifiable framework.

Item 1) has been widely criticized and is the supposed reason the draft Charter was rejected by the NRC.

Item 2) is not worthy of discussion, and would be ignored by any future government as it is half-baked.

coffee1.gif

Since the English version of the draft charter voted down isn't avaliable (I think) can you indicate in the April draft the parts which you put under item_1. Furthermore since there doesn't seem to be formal info on why the NRC voted 'no' can you tell me how you got to the 'supposed reason'.

Next you question the 'laundry list' of reforms in the draft charter. Well, I think that's as it should be since a more detailed description would fill a full shelfs or even a cupboard and that would not help a charter. One may already wonder if the charter is too detailed and need most much backing in 'organic laws'.

How about targeting some successful aspects of other countries' Charters? Bring in a group of international experts as consultants. Take a page out of your previous king's wisdom, when 100 years ago he brought in Frenchman to help run the country!

coffee1.gif

Since the English version of the draft charter voted down isn't avaliable (I think) can you indicate in the April draft the parts which you put under item_1. Furthermore since there doesn't seem to be formal info on why the NRC voted 'no' can you tell me how you got to the 'supposed reason'.

Next you question the 'laundry list' of reforms in the draft charter. Well, I think that's as it should be since a more detailed description would fill a full shelfs or even a cupboard and that would not help a charter. One may already wonder if the charter is too detailed and need most much backing in 'organic laws'.

The English language version of the draft Charter has been available since April.

It is a good translation, except for some of the newer sections.

It took me 2 minutes to find it online. Google is your friend.

http://www.student-weekly.com/pdf/200415-constitution-en.pdf

coffee1.gif

The English language version of the draft Charter has been available since April.

It is a good translation, except for some of the newer sections.

It took me 2 minutes to find it online. Google is your friend.

http://www.student-weekly.com/pdf/200415-constitution-en.pdf

I already got the English version of the draft charter begin of May, tbthailand provided the link at that time.

Still, reading the April draft I do not understand how you could come to your item_1. That's why I asked you to point out to me those parts you interpreted such that you came to your item_1.

So, go ahead.

PS it seems it's unclear on what charter' the new CDC/NRC will get going.

PPS I already wrote in another thread that personally I would prefer the use of the 2007 charter for reason already given at the same time.

Edited by rubl