non o visa multiple entry is there any problen going out and back to thailand same day

"A multiple entry visa is valid for 12 months conditional on leaving Thailand for 48 hours every 90 days."

http://www.royalthaiconsul.com/visas.htm

The sentence doesn't even make sense. The validity of a visa would certainly not depend on how many hours you spend outside of Thailand.

Consulates may issue visas and set some conditions on their issuance, but they have nothing to do with immigration policy. Entry to Thailand and permissions to stay are both controlled by immigrations, not consulates.

There is no 48 hour requirement regarding when you can return to Thailand and certainly no condition related to the visa's validity.

Edited by Suradit69

Thanks for the info just what i was hoping tohear

I would not try it. Last year I crossed the border to Malaysia in my car en route to attend a Moto GP at Sepang. All papers in perfect order, car had the little passport, I have been in Thailand ten years, last five on a non-o retirement visa. The Malaysian authorities would not allow my CRV to get insurance because they claimed the windows were too dark. If so, that's the way they came - no film on them - and most of the other cars around me were much darker than mine. I chose not to continue with the trip without insurance, blowing off $300 in pre-paid hotel reservations and two sets of Moto GP tickets for another $150. Exited Malaysia, and was denied entry to Thailand by a horrible lady Immigration chief. She said re-entry was not allowed on the same day, and since Immigration was closing for the night, I'd have to either try to get back into Malaysia, or spend the night in no-man's land.

I will never set foot in Malaysia again, and I'll never try to get in and out of Thailand on the same day again. Yes, I have the 3,800 baht multiple re-entry permit, I am extremely polite, and I speak Thai adequately.

Spend an extra day in KL.

S.

whistling.gif If you do indeed have a valid I year Multi entry visa you get 90 days for each entry.

As I know from personal experience, you can simply take a van day trip from Bangkok to the Cambodian border, exit Thailand, and turn around and return to Thailand for a 90 day entry stamp

I have done it.

Whole trip by air-con 16 passenger van takes about 13 hours depending on traffic with two "rest break" stops in each direction and a one hour "lunch break" at Cambodian border.

Costs 2300 Baht for U.S. or European national including Cambodian visa stamp needing one free page at least in your passport. Your passport should be valid for a least 6 months.

Optional meal at border is at your expense. Reasonable and clean restaurant on Thai side of border.

Avoid eating in Cambodia.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

I would not try it. Last year I crossed the border to Malaysia in my car en route to attend a Moto GP at Sepang. All papers in perfect order, car had the little passport, I have been in Thailand ten years, last five on a non-o retirement visa. The Malaysian authorities would not allow my CRV to get insurance because they claimed the windows were too dark. If so, that's the way they came - no film on them - and most of the other cars around me were much darker than mine. I chose not to continue with the trip without insurance, blowing off $300 in pre-paid hotel reservations and two sets of Moto GP tickets for another $150. Exited Malaysia, and was denied entry to Thailand by a horrible lady Immigration chief. She said re-entry was not allowed on the same day, and since Immigration was closing for the night, I'd have to either try to get back into Malaysia, or spend the night in no-man's land.

I will never set foot in Malaysia again, and I'll never try to get in and out of Thailand on the same day again. Yes, I have the 3,800 baht multiple re-entry permit, I am extremely polite, and I speak Thai adequately.

S.

did you get stamped into Malaysia and out again before being refused entry to Thailand

You can enter and return in a minute if you wish.

Not my experience. See above.

You claim to be on a 'non-o retirement visa' for the last 5 years.

Is that an actual visa or is it annual extensions, with the 3,800 baht making the extension multi entry? Do you do 90 day reporting?

Slightly different to a one year multi entry non-O visa where the holder has to leave the country every 90 days (if they don't use any of the extensions available to certain reasons for the issue of the visa)

You can enter and return in a minute if you wish.

Not my experience. See above.

You claim to be on a 'non-o retirement visa' for the last 5 years.

Is that an actual visa or is it annual extensions, with the 3,800 baht making the extension multi entry? Do you do 90 day reporting?

Slightly different to a one year multi entry non-O visa where the holder has to leave the country every 90 days (if they don't use any of the extensions available to certain reasons for the issue of the visa)

My visa is a non-o retirement visa that is renewed annually, at the discretion of Immigration - I'm on my fifth renewal. The B3,800 is the fee for making the extension multi-entry as opposed to single entry. I do indeed do 90 day reporting.

There does indeed seem to be a difference, as you've observed, though if I were in the OP's position, I'd stay over. It seems that a majority in the forum have had multiple positive experiences. I tried it once and wound up in a Kafkaesque nightmare that I'd not wish to repeat. Looks like there's not a single right answer.

S.

did you get stamped into Malaysia and out again before being refused entry to Thailand

Yes, stamped out of Thailand, into Malaysia, out of Malaysia - blocked back into Thailand. All within about an hour.

I assume you were trying to cross at tSadao which has a history of telling people they need to stay overnight. I don't recall any other crossing trying to impose that incorrect requirement.

Yes it was at Sadao. I wish I had known of that "history", though that may not have solved the utterly bogus tale the Malaysian gave me about the windows being too dark. I know that there are regulations on window-darkening films - my car is bone-stock and many shades lighter than just about every car in the area at the time. It was just someone wanting to have some fun.

Again, my lessons: No more Malaysia, no more single-day turnarounds, whether by accident or by design.

I did the flight from DM to KL last Monday...not for the first time...4 or 5 hour turn around...never had a problem. 2300 THB return. I prefer to do this even than get the 60 day extension for 1900 THB. Always found immigration both sides very polite and helpful.

There is some ok pasta to be had in the local type restaurants in departure area of KL.

Sorry but I am a bit confused after reading some of the above posts.

I am currently on a 90 day extension which I got at Jomtien and with 30 days left I will next apply for a one year O based on retirement visa. I did not think there was any requirement for me to leave the country and return either to get the visa or during the year it is valid. Is this true?

If so then why are people with 1 year visa's doing a border run.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Den

Edited by denby45

I am currently on a 90 day extension which I got at Jomtien and with 30 days left I will next apply for a one year O based on retirement visa. I did not think there was any requirement for me to leave the country and return either to get the visa or during the year it is valid. Is this true?

Den

I think you you probably applied for and received a "conversion" to a NON O visa entry (cost 2000 Bbht) which provided a 90 day permission stay.

If I am correct there no requirement to leave and you can apply for a one year Extension of Stay (it is not a visa)

Den

First, there's nothing wrong with your plan.

Second, the crux of much misunderstanding on this issue seems to be the nomenclature. You need a visa (or visa exemption) to enter Thailand. You are then issued with a permission to stay until a specified date (depending on factors such as the type of your visa, or nationality in the case of a visa exemption). It is possible to extend your permission to stay in the country by applying at an immigration office in Thailand. That is what you plan to do when you have 30 days left in your permission to stay. You plan to apply for this extension for reason of retirement (often called a retirement extension) for which there are a number of requirements. When issued your permission to stay will be an entire year from your present permission to stay date.

Others, as you reference above, are staying here by means of a visa that gives them a certain permission to stay when they enter the country. If they have a multiple entry visa, they can exit and re-enter the country to gain another permission to stay date. These people do border runs to get another permission to stay date. They do not need to go to the immigration office in Thailand to apply for an extension of stay. They do not need do 90-day reports either. They are not really extending their permission to stay they are acquiring a new permission to stay date by leaving and re-entering the country.

Den

First, there's nothing wrong with your plan.

Second, the crux of much misunderstanding on this issue seems to be the nomenclature. You need a visa (or visa exemption) to enter Thailand. You are then issued with a permission to stay until a specified date (depending on factors such as the type of your visa, or nationality in the case of a visa exemption). It is possible to extend your permission to stay in the country by applying at an immigration office in Thailand. That is what you plan to do when you have 30 days left in your permission to stay. You plan to apply for this extension for reason of retirement (often called a retirement extension) for which there are a number of requirements. When issued your permission to stay will be an entire year from your present permission to stay date.

Others, as you reference above, are staying here by means of a visa that gives them a certain permission to stay when they enter the country. If they have a multiple entry visa, they can exit and re-enter the country to gain another permission to stay date. These people do border runs to get another permission to stay date. They do not need to go to the immigration office in Thailand to apply for an extension of stay. They do not need do 90-day reports either. They are not really extending their permission to stay they are acquiring a new permission to stay date by leaving and re-entering the country.

Well explained and thanks.

Den