Astronomy Observatory in Songkhla

phuketsub

They have put up a scale model of the Songkhla Observatory in the administration building at Rajabhat Songkhla University. (see pic)
The construction is now nearing completion and you can see it up in the hillside next to the university.
I guess this is good news for would-be stargazers and might become an important tourist destination.
There was a brief story about it by the public relations department when work began:
SONGKHLA, 19 April 2014 (NNT) - Construction of the Songkhla observatory project has started and is expected to be open for the benefit of local residents at the end of next year.

The project is a co-operative venture between the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand, and the Songkhla Rajabhat University. It is a part of a nationwide project, dubbed the Regional Public Observatory project, which was initiated by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

According to Chalermchon Wanthong, the project co-ordinator, the Songkhla observatory will be equipped with a 0.5 meter telescope, a CCD camera, and a spectrograph. It will enable the public in the southern region to gain better access to information in astronomy and space technology.

The four other regional public observatories are in Nakorn Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Chachoengsao and Phitsanulok. All will be linked via a database with the Sirindhorn Observatory on Doi Inthanon in Chiang Mai province, which is Thailand's main observatory.

post-40708-0-49822300-1441963503_thumb.j

If the observatory is going to be made available for the public, it's a great way to make science fun as it is supposed to be.

I would visit the observatory as I have never seen the sky through a larger telescope.

The first time I pointed a simple 60x bird telescope to the moon and could actually see the craters was a great feeling moment. Moon was no longer just a yellowish ball on the sky. After that, being able to see Venus and Jupiter with it's 4 large moons, with household camera, has been fun.

I wish to see the big spot on Jupiter and the rings of Saturn. Maybe a good view of the Andromeda galaxy.

Science is supposed to be open to the public, when it's matured enough. This is a good initiative.

There's already an observatory in Songkhla, on Koh Hong Mountain, near the big Buddha statue.

That's news to me. Have you ever been to visit? If so, how is it?

I have not visited the observatory, but have seen it. You can't miss it when you visit the big statue. The observatory is on the left, just before you get into the statue site car park.

• 2 weeks later...

There's already an observatory in Songkhla, on Koh Hong Mountain, near the big Buddha statue.

Do you mean the planetarium on Kor Hong Mountain in Hat Yai Municipal Park??

Yes....thought it was an observatory.

I thought it was an observatory too .. has anyone ever been ?

Seems strange that all those people stream up the hill over the weekend to visit the temples and cable lift, but theres not a big welcome sign to the observatory / planetarium.

I went with a school trip to one in Ekamai, Bangkok. Although in Thai, the kids enjoyed it.