Problem with reentry permit at Suvarnabhumi today

The system for processing reentry permits was broken meaning that they had to be done manually. That meant having to leave the secure area and go to the police station on the second floor to get photos for 200 baht (no receipt). Then back through security. This added about an hour to the usual time. I'll be taking a photo with me in future in case it happens again.

• Like 1

Smells like a money making opportunity to me. If the system was broken, the pics should have been free....

What, free, in Thailand!

Seems strange as obviously a regular photo would then have to be scanned into the system later?

Or do they plan on comparing the photo to the one in the database and have been letting people in without security today?

Oh who knows, but 200 baht for a picture is BS and someone is pocketing a profit.

What did the General ask of the Immigration Lt General the other day???????

• Like 2

Does this mean that all those with a re-entry permit were sent upstairs for a photo? Sounds suspicious to me.

Our OP is talking about getting a permit at the airport. If you already have one there's no issue.

Right. If a new re-entry permit, then 200B for a photo if you don't have one is not totally unreasonable. I print mine at home and bring them in with me.

• Like 1

I never liked getting the re-entry at the airport for exactly this reason. "What if?" I would use the airport reentry permit office as last resort. Better to have your ducks in a row before you are at the airport. Oh, and I ALWAYS have extra passport photos with blue and white backgrounds in my wallet when out doing business or traveling. Has saved me numerous times from various hassles.

• Like 1

Several friends left BKK without re-entry permit because they were already waiting for 2 hours and almost missed their plane. One friend even had his luggage taken off the plane before he could board.

Wow. Thanks for reporting this. I'll continue to get my re-entry permit in advance!

• Like 1

if you don't get your re-entry permit before you leave Thailand can you still get beck in easily at suvanahboomi???

thanks for any advice

You can easily re-enter the country but it would only be a 30 day visa exempt entry. Your extension would be gone though which would mean starting all over again.

• Like 1

This OP is crying out loud for absolutely nothing..... Buy your re-entry permit at your immigration-office and you need a photo. You make it sounds like a big surprice that there is a photo involved.

gets serious and complain about all that stuff that is worth complaining about.... You seems to be badly educated in the immigration-laws nothing more..

Glegolo

He is not complaining about the price or getting the photo but the extra hour it took because the usual machine was broken, that is all but everyone wants to bitch about something or anything

if you don't get your re-entry permit before you leave Thailand can you still get beck in easily at suvanahboomi???

thanks for any advice

You can easily re-enter the country but it would only be a 30 day visa exempt entry. Your extension would be gone though which would mean starting all over again.

can you get your re-entry at swampy before you leave and if so how much time is needed?

thanks

Several friends left BKK without re-entry permit because they were already waiting for 2 hours and almost missed their plane. One friend even had his luggage taken off the plane before he could board.

Wow. Thanks for reporting this. I'll continue to get my re-entry permit in advance!

I would have thought that getting a multi re-entry permit at the same time your visa extension is renewed would be the simplest thing to do especially if you think you will be travelling during that year.

Jomtien immigration won't let you get your re-entry permit at the same time as your visa extension. Both processes generally take 2 days, but this all depends on the position of the sun, moon, time of year, time of day, etc, etc, etc. laugh.png

At Nakhon Sawan the re-entry permit is done at the same time and they even ask if you want one. Total time for a 90 report, retirement extension and a re-entry permit is about an hour depending if there are more than 3 people in front of you.

Did they still apply the 200 Baht 'processing fee'?

No. That was waived. Just 1000 baht, so the total cost was the same, plus I now have spare photos.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would have thought that getting a multi re-entry permit at the same time your visa extension is renewed would be the simplest thing to do especially if you think you will be travelling during that year.

Simpler, but only worthwhile if you're likely to make more than 3 exits from Thailand each year.

I never liked getting the re-entry at the airport for exactly this reason. "What if?" I would use the airport reentry permit office as last resort. Better to have your ducks in a row before you are at the airport. Oh, and I ALWAYS have extra passport photos with blue and white backgrounds in my wallet when out doing business or traveling. Has saved me numerous times from various hassles.

I have actually ensured I always have a fair number of passport pics with me since I started travelling for work decades ago. Visas, site entry IDs etc etc, always needed. It became a habit. One balancing engineer arrived and we needed to get him a site ID and he had no pics, which meant a 4-5 hour round trip into the city to get some done. (It could have been worse). When I suggested he should always carry some, as he travels, he look at me annoyed and said, do you? Yes, of course I do, I responded. Some people don't do being prepared!

Sorry about the confusion earlier, I thought this happened when the OP was re-entering Thailand. I have never obtained the permit at the airport.... my 'boy scout' attitude again!