Best Way to Wash Dog.

I have a three year old dog who lives outside the house along with two others, she is very dirty though the other two are clean.

She really needs a good wash, I have a downstairs toilet and shower, can I buy a dog shampoo? if so, where?

Any tips about washing, apart from using my hands and shampoo on her?

We bought a cement mixing trough and do 'em in that. Hosepipe at the ready, out 9 year old grandchild does it now, so not too difficult.

I can take her into the shower room where the door leads outside, I got some shampoo from the vet and will wash her tomorrow.

I just washed mine. The dog likes it. I wet him down with the garden hose and rub in medicated shampoo I bought at Lotus and then spray off and towel dry. I chain him up for an hour do dry off so the dog will not roll in the dirt while wet.

I'm glad you mentioned towel dry, I never thought about that. Thanks.

Some dogs are scared of being hosed. If your dog has not been washed before make a game of it. A little bit of water at a time and slowly increase the amount so they are not scared. Make it fun for the animal.

Yes, that's a good idea, I cannot wash her till Thursday as the vet says I should wait as she has just had injections.

I won't be using a hose, I will use the shower as it's more convenient, and as you say, make a game of it.

Some dogs prefer it if the water is slightly warm

Everywhere in Thailand water is warm.

Not true. Try showering at 6 am in Korat in the cool season!

You wash the dog at 6 AM? You are much more of a clean freak than I am. wai2.gif I wait till it's hot so the animal does not get cold when drying off.

Edited by lostoday

Dogs if cared for properly don`t require bathing too often. Regular bathing can do more harm than good because the water and shampoos can break down the natural oil balances in dogs skin and fur, making the skin and fur dry causing flaking and itchiness and more susceptible to skin diseases.

Healthy dogs only require bathing about once every 6 weeks, even up to 3 months is OK, unless a dog is suffering from ring worm, fungus or serious skin problems, then it is advisable to bath more often using special medicated shampoos recommend or prescribed by a vet.

Applying Front Line or Advocate to dogs once a month will keep dogs free from parasites

Dogs feel hot and cold the same as we do and showering outdoors during the early hours with cold water straight from a hose is not recommended, it can cause discomfort, shock, colds and dog flu, especially during the colder seasons

We shower our dogs indoors, adjusting the water temperature according to conditions. Cooler water during the hot seasons and warmer water during the colder seasons and then dry them off with towers afterwards, never using a blow dryer. All dogs will roll themselves in the dirt after being washed. When our dogs do this we just brush them off.