Phichit locals affected by gold mining

Lite Beer

Phichit locals affected by gold mining

PHICHIT, 12 September 2015 (NNT) - Locals in Ban Khao Mo of Phichit province have voiced their concerns over the negative effect on health from gold mining in the area. They sent an open letter asking Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha to issue an evacuation order for the affected villagers.

The residents, who are currently residing in Thap Khlo district, told the media that they oppose mining activities in the area following the death of a gold miner, Somkid Thampavej, one of the locals.

They quoted the doctor tending the miner as saying that Somkid died from higher-than-normal level of heavy metal in his body.

The protesting locals have asked Prime Minister General Prayut to issue an evacuation order urgently and help find a temporary shelter for them.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-12 footer_n.gif

The government needs to do an audit, of the person who died, past lifestyle. These local farmers spray all sorts of chemicals with no protection at all.

I personally lived about 3 miles or so as the crow flies, from this mine, for some 2 1/2 year. The wife worked there for over a year and I went on a company sponsered tour of the area. It is an Austrialian run outfit and seems to be well managed.

Edited by BillyBobThai