Minutes from Meltdown... IP Cam woes...

genset

An appeal to any IT wizards out there...

When it comes to the murky world of IT, I can handle the basics and maybe a tad more.

After years of struggling with a ToT fibre internet connection, we changed over to 3BB about 2 years ago, which until recently worked just fine. At about the same time, we also bought a cheap no-name IP camera for the office. I managed to assign it a static IP, set up port-forwarding on the virtual server page, I signed up for DynDNS service and hey presto... it worked (much to my surprise). Fast forward to July this year and we started having problems accessing the camera, some days it would work, some days not. Then we started having problem with internet access, 3BB came to inspect (4 times) and checked the router, changed the channel, did all the usual things and then announced that we needed a new router; the new router is model NT3BB-4PWN-134, is about the same size as the old one, but the admin interface differs somewhat. They set up all of the settings on the new router to match the old one (is what they told me) but since that day, we have been unable to access the camera over the internet. After 2 months of no IP camera access, I bought a new IP on camera on Thursday last week thinking it was about time for an upgrade anyway and perhaps starting from scratch might be the way to go.

After two days of back and forth between the router admin settings, camera configuration settings and DynDNS, I am close dangerously close to meltdown... I cant ping or TELNET the router or DynDNS address, but I have internet access. I really don't want to take a sledgehammer to the camera, router, computer and my wife's car, but I'm getting a little delirious and the thought of blowing off a little steam is increasingly appealing...

Beer tokens are on offer for any "Genuine" IT professional who thinks they might be able to assist and save me the indignity of wrecking my IT equipment, wife's car and spending tonight outside with the dog as a result... I have Team Viewer 10, so remote access available and preferred as a method of diagnosing the condition and fixing it, rather than trying to talk me through it. Please PM, no rush, anytime in the next 5 minutes will do just fine...actually the wife is giving me an ear bashing about going shopping as I've been beating my head against the computer screen all day, poor things getting a bit pi**ed off..., will be back online in a couple of hours, with a couple of bottles of wine to numb the pain.

Regards,

Genset

There are a number of reports of customers being placed behind an enterprise level NAS, this would cause all sorts of issues with your IP cam.

To check:-

First go here and record your IP address https://www.iplocation.net/

Then log on to your router and check the WAN IP address.

They should be the same.

Hi Crossy,

Brought a smile to my face when I saw your response, you're a jack of all trades, how are you mate?

Yes, I already recorded my IP address, to make sure it was the same one currently registered on DynDNS, which it is, but looking at the WAN settings page on my router, is where things get a bit confusing for me. It's not as intuitive as the last router I had, in fact it all looks Greek to me. There is no help or FAQ guide on the router admin pages, and on the WAN page in particular, to get back to your point, the only IP address' I can see, are at the foot of the page, in a table with the following acronym "Current A TM VC Table", both the IP Address and the Remote IP Address listed are in the 100.72.xxx.xx range, whatever that means, but they are not the same; the IP address of my router according to your IP Location Site is 223.205.xxx.xxx.

I don't know what a enterprise level NAS is, but would appreciate your thoughts and any info on a workaround, if that is indeed the issue here.

Cheers,

Genset...

Edited by genset

Yup, but master of none sad.png

I'd actually replied before I noticed who the OP was, sorry sad.png

Busy, busy, busy with Purple Line, Red Line and HCMC Line 1, dabbling with the Thai High Speed Rail too, all good fun. Pays the bills.

Anyway, Googling your router type give a 3BB firmware which doesn't seem to indicate your WAN IP sad.png

Hopefully the Masters of the Internet who reside here will be able to help, I'll retreat to Sparking.

You still need to come over for a beer or ten :)

Yup, but master of none sad.png

I'd actually replied before I noticed who the OP was, sorry sad.png

Busy, busy, busy with Purple Line, Red Line and HCMC Line 1, dabbling with the Thai High Speed Rail too, all good fun. Pays the bills.

Anyway, Googling your router type give a 3BB firmware which doesn't seem to indicate your WAN IP sad.png

Hopefully the Masters of the Internet who reside here will be able to help, I'll retreat to Sparking.

You still need to come over for a beer or ten smile.png

You're far too modest mate...

So you're on the High Speed Rail job too..? We're starting a job up near Kasetsart University close to where they've closed down the bridge and are kicking off the High Speed Rail terminal in Bangkok, or at least that's what I'm led to believe, traffics a nightmare.

Yes the 3BB router is a little confusing, so I'm hoping there is somebody out there who's a little more familiar with the specific IT acronyms and terminology used in the configuration settings, who can help demystify it and sort it out. I tried talking to the 3BB engineer, you can imagine how that went, here I am with my hand out on Thai Visa after all... slightly more relaxed now I've had a couple of glasses of wine, I should add :)

Haven't forgotten about the beers, catch you later.

Either Crossy has 'auto corrrect' turned on max, or is already deeply enjoying his spirits. But he got close enough.

enterprise level NAS should read Carrier Grade NAT.

If your router is being issued a WAN address with a Reserved IP Addresses instead of a Public routable IP Address then you're most likely under Carrier-Grade NAT and you won't be able to open ports back into your LAN to connect to IP Cameras (or any other P2P application that utilizes UPnP or Open Ports to function).

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

The issue here is that 3BB is issuing your router a Private (reserved) IP Address and linking you and several thousand other 3BB customers to a common gateway (another NAT router) and then all of you get to share a handfull of actual Public routeable IP Addresses to connect to the Public Internet. Essentially, you are being double NATed. You can control the ports on the first closest Gateway (your router) but not open ports or control the second Carrier Grade version Gateway. Carrier Grade NAT breaks P2P direct applications.

Some people have had luck contacting their ISP and asking to be issued a Public IP Address.

camera's all a sudden not accessable anymore, 3bb issue?

Started by alanso, 2015-08-22 20:41
The camera manufacture may provide OTHER methods of remote access. (This usually involves a remote server that keeps an open connection with the IP Camera that you can access through the server sitting on the Internet).
Edited by RichCor

Either Crossy has 'auto corrrect' turned on max, or is already deeply enjoying his spirits. But he got close enough.

If your router is being issued a WAN address with a Reserved IP Addresses instead of a Public routable IP Address then you're most likely under Carrier-Grade NAT and you won't be able to open ports back into your LAN to connect to IP Cameras (or any other P2P application that utilizes UPnP or Open Ports to function).

The issue here is that 3BB is issuing your router a Private (reserved) IP Address and linking you and several thousand other 3BB customers to a common gateway (another NAT router) and then all of you get to share a handfull of actual Public routeable IP Addresses to connect to the Public Internet. Essentially, you are being double NATed. You can control the ports on the first closest Gateway (your router) but not open ports or control the second Carrier Grade version Gateway. Carrier Grade NAT breaks P2P direct applications.

Some people have had luck contacting their ISP and asking to be issued a Public IP Address.

The camera manufacture may provide OTHER methods of remote access. (This usually involves a remote server that keeps an open connection with the IP Camera that you can access through the server sitting on the Internet).

Hi RichCor,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

During the last hour, and much to the annoyance of the missus (as we're eating dinner and I'm supposed to be paying attention to her, not sure who gets most complaints me or the dog... :) I tracked down another post:

• 3BB blocking ports
  • Started by manarak, 2014-05-08 13:38

Post number 9 in that thread, posted by Bohfman, reads as follows:

"Easy fix. Call 3BB and ask them to remove NAT. Tell them you wish to use an IP camera and you cannot access it from the web because their NAT is preventing it. Essentially you have double NAT which means the external ISP address cannot be routed to your modem. "

I thought what the hell, I called 3BB, spoke to customer service, told them that I was trying to set-up my IP camera, and that their NAT may be preventing it... "Oh yes..." came the reply from the helpful lady on the end of the phone... "you have a NAT address, I'll change it for you right now, please switch off your router and turn it on again in 5 minutes". I did as instructed, five minutes later I pinged the router, success... pinged the DynDNS address, success... now all that remains is for me to reset the port forwarding and I should be back in business.

Occasionally I wonder whether there's any mileage left in TV when I read some of the cantankerous back and forth, but it still exists as a valuable source of information for those of us who just want a helping hand or a friendly bit of expert advice. Thanks again...

Regards,

Genset

Hi RichCor,

During the last hour, and much to the annoyance of the missus (as we're eating dinner and I'm supposed to be paying attention to her, not sure who gets most complaints me or the dog... smile.png I tracked down another post:

• 3BB blocking ports

"Easy fix. Call 3BB and ask them to remove NAT. Tell them you wish to use an IP camera and you cannot access it from the web because their NAT is preventing it. Essentially you have double NAT which means the external ISP address cannot be routed to your modem. "

I thought what the hell, I called 3BB, spoke to customer service, told them that I was trying to set-up my IP camera, and that their NAT may be preventing it... "Oh yes..." came the reply from the helpful lady on the end of the phone... "you have a NAT address, I'll change it for you right now, please switch off your router and turn it on again in 5 minutes". I did as instructed, five minutes later I pinged the router, success... pinged the DynDNS address, success... now all that remains is for me to reset the port forwarding and I should be back in business.

Occasionally I wonder whether there's any mileage left in TV when I read some of the cantankerous back and forth, but it still exists as a valuable source of information for those of us who just want a helping hand or a friendly bit of expert advice. Thanks again...

Regards,

Genset

Genset. I don't believe your last post is true. I think you fabricated it to avoid buying the promised reward beers for Richcor.

Hi RichCor,

During the last hour, and much to the annoyance of the missus (as we're eating dinner and I'm supposed to be paying attention to her, not sure who gets most complaints me or the dog... smile.png I tracked down another post:

• 3BB blocking ports

Regards,

Genset

Final Update...!

After resetting the port forwarding on the virtual server page, setting the HTTP port on the camera and rebooting the camera, I can now access the camera via the internet to my absolute delight (and copius eyeball rolling from the missus who is decidedly under-impressed with my IT prowess). I hope this thread might prove to be of help to anybody who might be dealing with a similar problem.

Kind regards,

Genset

Hi RichCor,

• 3BB blocking ports

Regards,

Genset

Genset. I don't believe your last post is true. I think you fabricated it to avoid buying the promised reward beers for Richcor.

Oh yeah of little faith :)

If RichCor would like to drop me a PM I'd be delighted to buy him a beer in Bangkok, in fact if Crossy's around maybe he'd like to join us for a chat.

To corroborate my claim, attached is a pic of the missus, whose entirely had enough of my efforts to deal with this situation and is now threatening to ban me and the dog from the bedroom (3G connection to my camera via the internet on my iPad)... Thanks again...

Genset

post-62800-0-62385100-1442068275_thumb.p

If I had know this was a spy camera set up by you to let you know if it was safe to come home, I wouldn't have been so quick to try and help.

I'm about 853km away, just far enough so I can dis' Crossy and still stay out of reach.

Glad you got it solved.

If I had know this was a spy camera set up by you to let you know if it was safe to come home, I wouldn't have been so quick to try and help.

I'm about 853km away, just far enough so I can dis' Crossy and still stay out of reach.

Glad you got it solved.

Thanks RichCor,

The picture's not quite as creepy as it looks :) I am sitting in the chair, partially obscured by the missus, operating the iPad...

Cheers..

It was Beer Chang and the fact that I'd just been fiddling with my NAS :)

Great job Rich we have a happy Genset.

So you're on the High Speed Rail job too..? We're starting a job up near Kasetsart University close to where they've closed down the bridge and are kicking off the High Speed Rail terminal in Bangkok, or at least that's what I'm led to believe, traffics a nightmare.

That mess is the Green Line (BTS) extension.

The HSR terminus will be at Bang Sue Grand (the big building site near Mor Chit).

Why would you want a static IP on a web cam? Routers, servers definitely but a cam no. You use the cam with another program so a dynamic should be ok

It's not about static IP, it's about the Carrier Grade NAT being inflicted upon some of us by the ISPs to save public routable IP addresses, the double-NATing stops the thing dead (no port-forwarding).

Our OP is already using one of the Dyn-DNS services to get around his dynamic IP.

Why would you want a static IP on a web cam? Routers, servers definitely but a cam no. You use the cam with another program so a dynamic should be ok

It's not about static IP, it's about the Carrier Grade NAT being inflicted upon some of us by the ISPs to save public routable IP addresses, the double-NATing stops the thing dead (no port-forwarding).

Our OP is already using one of the Dyn-DNS services to get around his dynamic IP.

I am quite aware of that but he did state he put a static IP on it and that is necessary only for the essential network elements

Genset.

Good idea to use this thread as an information go to for those who want to set up the same as you did. I am one of them and have 3BB.

With that in mind. Could you please list in bullet point terms 1. the equipment/resources that you need, and 2. a step by step guide to your setup.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gandalf,

I dont profess to be any kind of expert hence the reason for the original post, but i was advised to set up the IP camer with a fixed IP to avoid DHCP changing the address on my network if for any reason it disconnects. The camera has htp browser software, I just access it by entering the DynDNS address and port, thats all i know. Whether it requires a fixed IP or not, it seems to be working fine now, so I wont be messing around with it any further.

Cheers.

Genset.

Good idea to use this thread as an information go to for those who want to set up the same as you did. I am one of them and have 3BB.

With that in mind. Could you please list in bullet point terms 1. the equipment/resources that you need, and 2. a step by step guide to your setup.

Thanks in advance.

Bulldozer,

I'm an amateur when it comes to all things IT. Although i set up my camera successfully the first time, i was surprised at how challenging it was and struggled a little to find the information i needed to help me understand the process and explain what DHCP, DYNDNS etc are and how they work in conjunction with the configuraiton process. I dont think I'd be able to clearly articulate the process by listing the way I did it, but if you do a google search for setting up an IP camera, there are a number of videos out there which may help you out, an example would be this one

Cheers