How To Get Married in Thailand

FruitPudding

Hello everyone,

Sorry, if its a dumb question, but I would like to know what things we have to do to get married here?

I am sure we have to visit out embassy to get some document, right? And then get it translated at Foriegn Affairs.

I am just looking ofr a brief summary of what needs to be done throughout the whole process fo start to finish (in order).

I search around to try to find the recent info, but couldn't find it, and there is no thread pinned about it.

Thanks for any info.

Your talking about marriage to a Thai of the opposite sex? Your passport country would be required for full details but basically you fill out a paper of bio data and that you are single at your Embassy (few minuets most places - but may require divorce paperwork if previously married and a few countries take weeks to process). Then it needs to be translated into Thai (as to be used at a Thai District Office) and original/translation is then registered at MFA (legalization - normally translation agency does). Once that done (which could be same day) you are free to visit a District Office with passport and spouse (and there ID) to obtain marriage paperwork (should have 3rd party Thai speaker most places and several witness will have to sign (so can be friends or office staff).

Really quite simple process.

It's basically:

1. Embassy (for the Affirmation to Marry document)
  2. Translator (to have that document translate into Thai)
  3. MFA (to have translation legalized)
  4. Marriage ceremony (if wanted)
  5. District Office (for legal marriage)
  6. Honeymoon (if wanted)

Done. wub.png

Edited by EmptyHead

For a thai spouse to be entitled to receive social security benefits form the spouse of an American citizen, would the previous mentioned steps to being married in Thailand suffice in the eyes of the US Government and specifically the Social Security Administration?

Registration at a District Office is an official marriage by Thai law and as such recognized by US and most other countries. Yes that marriage certificate will suffice in the eyes of the US Government. They might require it be translated and registered with MFA as a legal document.

A US marriage also means you are married in Thailand - but to take advantage of such (extension of stay for marriage) the paperwork would have to be signed off by Embassy and recorded at a District Office here in Thailand. There would not be any additional marriage.

For a thai spouse to be entitled to receive social security benefits form the spouse of an American citizen, would the previous mentioned steps to being married in Thailand suffice in the eyes of the US Government and specifically the Social Security Administration?

Best to start a new thread on that question but I think your Thai wife would need to have atleast a green card and have lived in the US for 5 years to get any SS.

You will want to verify but I believe apart from a marriage, the spouse needs to reside in the U.S. For 3 consecutive years in order to qualify for spousal benefits. During each of those years she has to be in the U.S. For more than half the year.