A Couple Of Retirement Questions

My wife (UK) & I have just reached 50 and we intend to obtain a single entry "O" visa here in the UK & change it to a Retirement visa in Thailand.

The questions are:

1) Do we need to show 800,000 each which we have (we have no pension, income will be from property rentals in UK) or will my wife be classed as a dependant?

2) Is it OK to open a joint bank account in LOS and have both lots of funds in it or would this cause a problem with immigration?

Rgds, Spiritman

1. Wife should be classed as dependent so only one 800k required.

2. Joint would probably fly 99% of the time but I would open separate accounts that are linked for transfers to cover the person who says being married only allows you to claim ownership of 50%.

1. Wife should be classed as dependent so only one 800k required.

2. Joint would probably fly 99% of the time but I would open separate accounts that are linked for transfers to cover the person who says being married only allows you to claim ownership of 50%.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Rgds, Spiritman :o

I have a related question: Do I have to be retired to get a retirement visa?

I'm 54, American working all over Asia for an American company (and paid in the US). I stay in Bangkok with my Thai wife between frequent trips, and I've been getting visas-on-arrival since 1997. The amount I have wired to Thailand each month for household expenses is over the minimum required for a retirement visa?

Does Immigration check, or even care, if my income is from a "tradiional" retirement source, or is any foreign income okay?

Thanks! :o