Convicted executive in Krungthai loan scam dies at hospital

webfact

Convicted executive in Krungthai loan scam dies at hospital

82-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A former real estate firm's executive Subin Sangsuwanmeka, 65, earlier convicted to serve 12 years in prison by the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions over the controversial 10 billion baht loan extension died yesterday at the Yanhee hospital of liver cancer.

The death was reported to the director general of the Corrections Department Mr Withaya Suriyawong yesterday afternoon.

He was earlier admitted to Yanhee hospital from the Bangkok Remand Prison’s hospital last Thursday when his liver cancer sickness deteriorated.

He died at 3.45 pm yesterday at Yanhee hospital.

His body was later sent to the Police General Hospital for forensic autopsy.

Subin was among 24 former government officials and former executives of Krungthai bank and real estate companies convicted to jail terms by the Supreme Court after they were found guilty of colluding to approve the loan dishonestly to subsidiaries of Krisdamahanakorn in 2003, for refinancing and land acquisition. But the loan was used for personal purposes.

They were all ordered to pay compensation to the state bank at the amount of 8.8 billion baht.

According to The Nation, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was the first defendant in this case, was among the 27 people charged. But the court has suspended the case against him because he has fled the country.

Two other persons were acquitted by the court.

The court also ordered Thaksin’s arrest in order for him to stand trial in the case.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/convicted-executive-in-krungthai-loan-scam-dies-at-hospital

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-14

Liver cancer, usually the end result of alcoholism, often caused by over-consumption of cheap Thai whiskey. You would have thought with all the kickbacks and payments from Thaksin, that K. Subin could afford something a little less toxic, like JB rather than Sam Song or Mekhong. No RIP for this man - I hope he is haunted for eternity by all the people he swindled.

Liver cancer, usually the end result of alcoholism, often caused by over-consumption of cheap Thai whiskey. You would have thought with all the kickbacks and payments from Thaksin, that K. Subin could afford something a little less toxic, like JB rather than Sam Song or Mekhong. No RIP for this man - I hope he is haunted for eternity by all the people he swindled.

Do you have any evidence that his liver cancer was caused by cheap Thai whiskey? Or that it is any more toxic than JWB, Drambuie or Glenfiddich?

To be honest, when it was first reported that he was in the remand hospital I suspected he was being a big hypochondriac and getting an easy pass.

Rich guys will find it hard in prison.

I was wrong.

coffee1.gif

Might be easier to pursue his estate for the money now, than what it would have been if he were alive.

Or harder. If his family fight.

Actually no, not usually a result of alcoholism. In most asian populations it is usually a consequence of hepatitis B and exposure to aflatoxin (mould on rice)

Do you have any evidence that his liver cancer was caused by cheap Thai whiskey? Or that it is any more toxic than JWB, Drambuie or Glenfiddich?

Yes , I've not heard this before. A link to any medical reports confirming this would be very useful . Also would add credibility to the post.

Of course he hasn't.

Actually no, not usually a result of alcoholism. In most asian populations it is usually a consequence of hepatitis B and exposure to aflatoxin (mould on rice)

Could be exposure to aflatoxin, but more likely to be a result of a bad diet which brought about Fatty-Liver-Disease.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/843733

Edited by lgking

Is cheap Thai whiskey worse for the liver than an expensive foreign whiskey? As for me, I doubt it. 40% of alcohol and the rest is just a little flavor that liver does not care about.

You have to be joking ! You are saying that all alcohol is the same, alcohol = alcohol = alcohol ! This is simply not true. Alcohol has many grades of purity. Have you never heard the many reports of numerous people dying after consuming cheap alcohol ? I personally have had ONE glass of "gin" in a shonky bar in Manila, and been unable to see clearly for a couple of days, so God help anyone who had several. I have also witnessed farangs here in Thailand who have gone out and bought a whole case of cheap thai whisky on arrival, and after just one week they are completely out of their minds. If you have to drink spirits, do yourself a big favour and buy a decent quality brand of plonk :)

You couldn't be more wrong ! I recall back in the 80's some friends who worked at the Shell refinery in Siracha took some Saeng Som and Mekhong back to their head laboratories in The Hague for analysis and found them to be far better refined than many of the foreign brand whiskies.

Agree with you. A rich Thai friend I have known for 30years drank a bottle of JWB a day until his liver packed in when he was 55years of age. Being a billionaire he could afford a lover transplant. He also used to smoke a lot of cigars and last year had half a lung removed due to cancer.