UK Citizenship - Waiting Times?

Hi

My wife and children applied for UK Citizenship on 1st May 2015. We are still waiting. So it has been around 4 and a half months. I hope to hear very soon.

Is anyone else waiting, or have just been granted citizenship? Would like to know please. Thanks

Sister in law and niece applied via the Nationality Checking Service on 7th July 2015. Money taken for her daughter but not hers! No written confirmation of receipt. Two emails and a written copy requesting confirmation have not been answered! Referees have not been contacted yet.

It seems they do things when they want to and in a way they wish. Probably delays this time of year because of student applications.

Delays are not necessarily logical nor reflect on the eventual outcome. Someone posted here that it took a year and for no obvious reason.

Visa and LTR applications should not have any effect on citizenship ones; different people processing them. Especially visa applications which are done in post at embassies!

The official advice is to allow 6 months for a citizenship application to be processed. Some take longer, some are done quicker.

One of the reasons for this is the time it takes referees, if contacted, to respond and for other checks, if any, to be done.

Kunash have you checked with your wife's referees to see if they have been contacted and if so have they responded?

Edited by 7by7

Student visa renewals can be done within the UK but may well be done by different staff within the Home Office. Last year, at least, people were moved from visa processing to passports.

If none of this is occurring there is not much excuse for straight forward applications being processed quickly. So far no referees for friends have ever been contacted, let alone delayed applications. I have acted as referee for a number of passport applications and visa renewals and have yet to be contacted once!

I would like to think references would be routinely checked especially after the dodgy reports in the media a couple of years ago.

anecdotally it is my belief Referees are rarely contacted, non of the Wife's referees were ever contacted from when she first entered the country on a student visa till the end of the process when she became a citizen.

During that time there were 2 student visa's, 2 Flr's 1 ILR 1 Citizenship on top of which I have also acted as a referee on a number of passport applications and have never heard a pep!

My wife's referees were contacted; that was in 2004.

When I was an ADI I acted as referee for a number of my pupils; most of them Thai but also for an American.

As I recall, I was not contacted about any of the Thais; but was for the American!

Checking elsewhere it seems in general that April 15 applications are being decided this month (September). This may not be a representative sample but there are a number of them. I assume my sister in laws case file is sitting on a desk, in a pile and not even given enough attention to work out they have only taken part of the fee due.

Sister in law thinks she might get hers free! I have made it clear to her that this is as likely as Jeremy Corbin becoming leader of the Labour party!

Edit: Whoops needed to correct that to 'anyone else but Jeremy Corbin becoming leader of the Labour party'!!wink.png

There was a not very flattering inspection of the naturalisation process - http://icinspector.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Nationality-Report-web.pdf

• referees were never contacted to verify that they had agreed to act as a referee, to determine their suitability, or to check that they had sufficient knowledge of the applicant; and • checks were not conducted to determine if referees had been convicted of an imprisonable offence in the last ten years, despite the guidance to applicants indicating that such an individual would not be accepted as a referee.

This was 2014 so it would be nice to think something has happened since to change things. Becoming British is a big event and care should be taken to make sure the right people are approved and the wrong ones refused.

It was also suggested that:

We recommend that the Home Office: Performs random police checks for referees and takes appropriate action where the random 5% referee check on British citizens identifies inconsistencies with the information held by Her Majesty’s Passport Office.

It was also stated that meeting the six month target:

4.89 While this was a good performance, we noted that the six-month target did not appear to be very challenging.

Straying off topic somewhat but asking referees if they have been contacted is unlikely to be much of an indicator of the stage of processing.

They seemed to have slowed down a bit

It's that time of year lumped in with a load of other stuff that does or doesn't go on at the Home Office.

My wife's friend is currently awaiting a decision on her and her daughter's naturalisation and it's been well over four months now. You're not alone.

There was a not very flattering inspection of the naturalisation process - http://icinspector.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Nationality-Report-web.pdf

• referees were never contacted to verify that they had agreed to act as a referee, to determine their suitability, or to check that they had sufficient knowledge of the applicant; and • checks were not conducted to determine if referees had been convicted of an imprisonable offence in the last ten years, despite the guidance to applicants indicating that such an individual would not be accepted as a referee.

This was 2014 so it would be nice to think something has happened since to change things. Becoming British is a big event and care should be taken to make sure the right people are approved and the wrong ones refused.

It was also suggested that:

We recommend that the Home Office: Performs random police checks for referees and takes appropriate action where the random 5% referee check on British citizens identifies inconsistencies with the information held by Her Majesty’s Passport Office.

It was also stated that meeting the six month target:

4.89 While this was a good performance, we noted that the six-month target did not appear to be very challenging.

Straying off topic somewhat but asking referees if they have been contacted is unlikely to be much of an indicator of the stage of processing.

Cheers Bob

Just read the section on Referees, pretty well confirms my suspicions.

Just checked my posts we applied 25th March 2015 received the good news on the 7th May 2015 and citizenship was on the 2nd June 2015

That was very quick. They seemed to have slowed down a bit

Good Luck it's a stressful time

Just to say we really enjoyed the Wife's citizenship ceremony, Newbury council made a real effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!

Sister in law has just received a letter from the Home Office stating they cannot process her visa without the fee being paid! It was all done though the Nationality Checking Service so she has had to fill in the same details that were given on the original application! They took the payment for my niece but not hers!

Seems they have just got to her file in the pile!!

It was a shame that my wife was not able to attend a group ceremony as there were none within the required timescale. Still feel she missed out a bit with the individual ceremony!