Immigration ripped the top of my re entry permit off !

So I went to Immigration for my 90 days and the enthusiast officer in her haste ripped the top of my page off and the top of my re entry permit. When I asked her if it was ok, of course she said it was ok, I left and then realised I accept 'ok' without really thinking about the consequences

You can just read the number at the top of the re entry, do you think I will have any problems at Don Muang when I return I am leaving the country shortly, anyone had anything similar ??

Theoretically the passport is "defaced" and not valid.

Best seek advice from your Embassy before attempting to use the passport again.

Wow, that sounds serious and I am off to the airport soon... I hope it will be ok, it's only the top of the page... I better check, I can't believe it, thanks for the quick reply

Wow, that sounds serious and I am off to the airport soon... I hope it will be ok, it's only the top of the page... I better check, I can't believe it, thanks for the quick reply

this is from the government website, I have an appointment at the end of the month at Trendy to renew my passport so I hope I can get in and out this time.

Definition of a damaged passport

A damaged passport is one which is not in a condition to be accepted as proof of identity.

Damage may include the following:

• Details are indecipherable. •

The laminate has lifted enough to allow the possibility of photo substitution. •

Discoloration to the biodata page.

• Chemical or ink spillage on any page

. • Missing or detached pages •

The chip or antenna shows through the endpaper on the back cover for the new style e-passports.

• The chip has been identified as damaged following investigation.​

Theoretical nonsense, how many times do passports get "defaced" by staples securing arrival cards or 90 day report receipts and then torn slightly by their removal, or written on? The passport does not become invalid.

• Like 2

Theoretical nonsense, how many times do passports get "defaced" by staples securing arrival cards or 90 day report receipts and then torn slightly by their removal, or written on? The passport does not become invalid.

A staple or a slight "tear" would not involve "ripping the top of a page off and the top of a re entry permit."

As suggested the OP needs to take advice about the usability of the passport.

A staple or a slight "tear" would not involve "ripping the top of a page off and the top of a re entry permit."

rubbish ....... if it's readable , it's fine , you want him to make a big fuss about a tear ?

he will really look stupid if he does.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, when I renew the passport at the end of the month I am hoping it will be just a renew but we all know what we might have to deal with as we approach passport control so I hope as it can be read all will be ok

Here's a stupid question is it the number written above the re entry permit you need for the entry card of the number inside the box, which is called :-) "number". Which one is the number that takes over from your extension. If it's the one in the box then no worries it's readable

rubbish ....... if it's readable , it's fine , you want him to make a big fuss about a tear ?

The OP will determine what is best done.

But you are correct he will look very stupid if the passport is refused at an airport or border.

top right hand corner of the page is ripped off and there is a tear .... not a page missing or hanging off, it's the last page of my passport hence the renew but I have to make a trip now

Thanks guys, when I renew the passport at the end of the month I am hoping it will be just a renew but we all know what we might have to deal with as we approach passport control so I hope as it can be read all will be ok

Here's a stupid question is it the number written above the re entry permit you need for the entry card of the number inside the box, which is called :-) "number". Which one is the number that takes over from your extension. If it's the one in the box then no worries it's readable

Not a stupid question at all...

The number in the Re-Entry Permit box labeled "Number" is what goes on the Arrival Card (TM6) line labeled "Visa No.". It is typically <4 digits>/<2 digits>, written in pen and often half-legible. I just take my best guess at it...the Immigration officer will correct it if you wrote it wrong.

On one Re-Entry Permit several years ago the Immigration officer who entered it wrote the wrong number in....then proceeded to use White-Out in my passport. I was none too happy about that, but it never gave me a problem.

• Like 1

The passport information is readable ...... I don't think anyone will cause problem if it's readable.

but that's your call ...

thanks, typical I have to leave the country shortly and I hope common sense prevails it's only the one page, and worst case they just give me 30 days on arrival . As long as the country I am going to can do their stamp and read my information clearly I hope all will be ok. It's the re entry I am worried about I assume my passport is ok as the main page with all my details is perfectly ok... here's hoping anyway, was hoping someone had had something similar... I'd be shocked if they refused my passport but anything is possible.

• Like 1

Not a stupid question at all...

The number in the Re-Entry Permit box labeled "Number" is what goes on the Arrival Card (TM6) line labeled "Visa No.". It is typically <4 digits>/<2 digits>, written in pen and often half-legible. I just take my best guess at it...the Immigration officer will correct it if you wrote it wrong.

On one Re-Entry Permit several years ago the Immigration officer who entered it wrote the wrong number in....then proceeded to use White-Out in my passport. I was none too happy about that, but it never gave me a problem.

Thanks mgjackson69 , that's what I thought, last time I had 4 and 2 , this time I have above a 5digit / 3 digit / 2 digit and in the box just a 5 digit with no / and no a little bit similar to the number above :-) Oh and it is half-legible too

Madmonk it is the number that starts with four digits then / and some more digits. It is in the box named number at the top left hand side.

Madmonk it is the number that starts with four digits then / and some more digits. It is in the box named number at the top left hand side.

Thank you Captainhornblower if only it was that simple :-) the number in the box doesn't have a dash in fact it is a 5 digit number. Typical the number above is a 5 / 3 / 2 digit number. I will go for the number in the box and hope the Officer when I return to BKK is in a good mood as the top of the page is missing and there are two separate numbers.

By the law of the country which passport was granted to the citizen ...this passport remains property of this country. Hence no one should damage it and it should be in original state as whole including all pages.

This officer has no rights to do the damage specially foreign passport.

By the law of the country which passport was granted to the citizen ...this passport remains property of this country. Hence no one should damage it and it should be in original state as whole including all pages.

This officer has no rights to do the damage specially foreign passport.

Accidents happen!

I very much doubt the damage was caused intentionally .

Edit

Spelling error corrected!

Edited by oncearugge