What's up with the braces?

kowpot

My wifes niece has always had perfect teeth. I saw a picture of her yesterday and she is wearing braces. Looking at her Facebook page, it looks as though everyone in the pictures are also wearing braces. Is this the new fad in Thailand? The parents must be going broke. But, the orthodontist in Thailand must be making a killing.

Braces are considered fashionable by some and have been for a while now. They look "cute".

Yes it has been like this for years now, with braces of very bright colours.

I was surprised the other day when one of my corporate students said she had problems pronouncing certain words because of her brace. I couldn't see that she was wearing one and she told me that it was "invisible". It was made of some, almost clear substance and really was quite difficult to see.

I can't imagine that catching on.

Edited by petedk

Tell her I heard the latest craze is " wooden legs" she'll need to have one leg removed but hey ho its a fashion thing

That's old style...latest fashion is to go topless( should be mandatory for every cute woman)...

I must be getting out of touch, could of sworn it was wooden legs, maybe that was last week?

Braces are considered fashionable by some and have been for a while now. They look "cute".

I was surprised the other day when one of my corporate students said she had problems pronouncing certain words because of her brace. I couldn't see that she was wearing one and she told me that it was "invisible". It was made of some, almost clear substance and really was quite difficult to see.

The OP is only about 5 years too late with his comments, it seems the stainless steel ones are so last year, the new crazy is the "invisible" ones you refer to it seems

I was shagging a stunning girl on the sly for a while in old town phuket.

I broke it off when I found out she was married. Much to my dismay.

She had a beautiful big smile and, unlike many Thai girls, was a great kisser.

I stumbled upon her email the other day during a computer clean up.

I emaile her and a few years on she has divorced and moved back to her home province.

She is still gorgeous, but has braces...

I am now in a great relationship with a fantastic girl...anyone want her email address.

The OP is only about 5 years too late with his comments, it seems the stainless steel ones are so last year, the new crazy is the "invisible" ones you refer to it seems

Don't believe you - I've never seen those 'invisible' ones..... facepalm.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/293082-crack-down-on-dangerous-dental-craze/

Link for the Op: Post from 2009

I though the braces things was like the whiting in almost every product ?! I though it was more of a show of wealth, like how many thais like being as white as possible to show they are rich enough to not get tanned in the sun at work. By having braces it shows your family can afford them! Don't think its a fab either.

• 2 months later...

The clear braces are called "Invislign" and are removable. They cost about 200,000 baht. Also, the cost of steel style braces has come down and payment plans are offered making them more affordable. Same with breast implants. Way more in the last 15 years now than before.