Can I use my phone in USA

beb

I have a Note 3 that I plan to carry back to the US. I thought it would work with no problem but today I was checking a mobile service in the US and it asked for the IMEI number to check compatibility. It came back that my phone will not work with their service.

The phone is 3G but I know there are different systems.

Does anybody have experience with this sort of thing and any advice?

Thanks!

What company are you trying to use in the USA ?

I wanted to start with a No Contract service like Ting or one of the others like Straight Talk until I settle a little. Ting's compatibility check said it wouldn't work and that gave me pause and prompted me to ask here.

I think I'll be ok but just wanted to hear from people with experience.

Thanks!

Never heard of Ting or Straight talk. I suggest you go with someone mainstream (ATT or T-Mobile, Verizon...etc). Cell phones plans in the US aren't cheap, and you get what you pay for usually.

Yeah, I don't actually use the phone much and would rather use a pay as you go kind of deal than the others. I understand that some larger services and transitioning to pay as you go and unsubsidized phone contracts so I'll be checking them out as well. Right now my biggest thing is the compatibility issue.

Never heard of Ting or Straight talk. I suggest you go with someone mainstream (ATT or T-Mobile, Verizon...etc). Cell phones plans in the US aren't cheap, and you get what you pay for usually.

Yeah, I don't actually use the phone much and would rather use a pay as you go kind of deal than the others. I understand that some larger services and transitioning to pay as you go and unsubsidized phone contracts so I'll be checking them out as well. Right now my biggest thing is the compatibility issue.
. The pay as you go services are spotty in metro areas and probably much worse In rural areas. Check out the coverage maps first.

T mobile has a no contract one month service (essentially "pay as you go") which I use for 4G internet and phone service when I am in the States...

T mobile has a no contract one month service (essentially "pay as you go") which I use for 4G internet and phone service when I am in the States...

wow, $3 a month for 30 minutes? That's a sweet deal but I do want the option to turn on data when I need it. Thanks for the lead. I'll definitely check them out.

ATT uses the GSM standard. Get an ATT GoPhone account - it is $100 for 1,000 minutes @10c per minute. Valid for 1 year and has roll over as long as you renew before the expiration. Remember in the USA you get charged minutes when receiving or making a call. GoPhone also has data options. Downside is that GoPhone numbers will not work outside the USA except in Canada and Mexico.

You can also check T-Mobile - they have month to month.

Both T-Mobile and ATT GoPhone have a bring your own unlocked phone option.

MJ

Take a look at your mobile handset specs.

Phone compatibility depends on Network Type (network technology for Voice and for Data) and Radio Band Frequency use

Both of these must match before you can even try using your phone on another mobile operators network.

Note: some phone handsets are capable of supporting multiple network technologies on multiple bands, but not always all technologies on all bands

Thailand mobile operators utilized GSM, UMTS/WCDMA, HSPA(+) or LTE [these network technologies are not compatible with CDMA/EVDO]

on radio band frequencies of

Band 1 (2100 Mhz) Primary for 3G/4G Voice and Data

Band 3 (1800)

Band 5 (850)

Band 8 (900)

In the US, some mobile operators are split technology, with Verizon and Sprint (and their utilizing CDMA/EVDO network technology, and transitioning LTE technology. Additionally, AT&T and T-Mobile utilize GSM and LTE network technologies.

Wikipedia UMTS/HSPA Networks

Wikipedia LTE Networks

Verizon

CDMA/EVDO network technologies [incompatible with GSM, WCDMA, HSPA(+) or LTE]

CDMA Band class 0 (850), CDMA Band class 1 (1900) CDMA and 1xAdv/EVDO network technology

Band 2 (1900), Band 4 (1700/2100 F), Band 13 (700 C) LTE network technology

Sprint

CDMA BAND class 10 (800), CDMA Band class 1 (1900) CDMA and 1xAdv/EVDO network technology

Band 2 (1900), Band 25 (1900 G), Band 26 (800) LTE network technology

Band 41 (2500) TDD [band 38 cross compatible?] TD-LTE / LTE Advanced network technology

AT&T mobility

Band 2 (1900), Band 5 (850) UMTS/HSPA+ network technology

Band 2 (1900), Band 4 (1700/2100 A, B, C, D, E), Band 5 (850), Band 17 ( 700 B, C), Band 29 (700 D, E), Band 30 (2300) for LTE network technology *

* Band use varies by region/market

T-Mobile USA

Band 2 (1900), Band 4 (1700/2100 D, E, F) UMTS/HSPA+ network technology

Band 2 (1900), Band 4 (1700/2100 D, E, F), Band 12 (700 A) LTE network technology

Smaller Independent mobile operators

Band 4 (1700) UMTS/HSPA+ network technologies

Edited by RichCor

Forgot to list the MVNOs (Mobile Virtual Network Operators)

wireless communications services provider that does not own the wireless network infrastructure over which the MVNO provides services to its customers. An MVNO enters into a business agreement with a mobile network operator to obtain bulk access to network services at wholesale rates, then sets retail prices independently.[1] An MVNO may use its own customer service, billing support systems, marketing and sales personnel or it may employ the services of a mobile virtual network enabler (MVNE).

the previously mentioned "Straight Talk" and "Ting" are listed here, along with the primary carrier and network/band support:

Wikipedia

List of United States mobile virtual network operators

US phones are scam...

in Thailand you pay 60 bahts for a sim card right after you arrival. just go 7 11 at the airport.

in USA 30 bucks at least.

Yeah dont think so buddy.
what you mean? you push any 7 11 doors and ask for a dtac sim card or any company you would like. sim card included, 20 bahts call included and you good to go for 2 bucks only. Edited by VIPinthailand

When you get to the USA, go to a Target Store and buy a Consumer Cellular GSM SIM card. You can get 650 minutes of talk time, about a thousand texts, and 1 GB of EDGE data for around 30 dollars a month with no contract. (You can select higher usage plans as well.) Customer service from Consumer Cellular is outstanding and rated much higher than any of the big companies. I've been using them now for 3 months and am very happy with it.

Edited by T_Dog

When you get to the USA, go to a Target Store and buy a Consumer Cellular GSM SIM card. You can get 650 minutes of talk time, about a thousand texts, and 1 GB of EDGE data for around 30 dollars a month with no contract. (You can select higher usage plans as well.) Customer service from Consumer Cellular is outstanding and rated much higher than any of the big companies. I've been using them now for 3 months and am very happy with it.

VP this is what I mean....

"Straight Talk" is the same company as "TracPhone", sold in Wallmart and other retail outlets. If you open this website and go to the "How It Works" tab, you'll see a selection for "Bring your own phone"

https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home

I wish there were a way to buy a sim card in advance so that I could use it immediately after arriving at the airport. I asked ATT about this with their prepaid sims and they said that if the card is not activated in a period of time then it expires. Does this Consumer Cellular sim work the same way?

I wish there were a way to buy a sim card in advance so that I could use it immediately after arriving at the airport. I asked ATT about this with their prepaid sims and they said that if the card is not activated in a period of time then it expires. Does this Consumer Cellular sim work the same way?

That's pretty much true with all pre-paid SIM cards and in all counties. It's necessary to free up unused numbers!

Thailand uses GSM.....so does T-mobile and ATT....I use T-mobile NO problems

All use GSM (+3G, 4G etc.). The difference are the Frequencies in use. The free world uses different Bands than the US.

Some carriers, like TMobile and Cingular use GSM . However, Verizon and Sprint always use CDMA. If you bought a phone in Thailand to use it on a CDMA network, such as Verizon or Sprint, you would be disappointed to find out it will not work. There is no way to convert phones, either.
I bought a Samsung Note 3 over a year ago here in Thailand (GSM).....As said it works with NO problems in USA on the T-mobile system with no alterations to the phone. I just put in a T-mobile sim and it worked!clap2.gif
Not sure what Aachen is on about...they do not all use GSM. whistling.gif
Edited by beachproperty

Thailand uses GSM.....so does T-mobile and ATT....I use T-mobile NO problems

All use GSM (+3G, 4G etc.). The difference are the Frequencies in use. The free world uses different Bands than the US.

Some carriers, like TMobile and Cingular use GSM . However, Verizon and Sprint always use CDMA. If you bought a phone in Thailand to use it on a CDMA network, such as Verizon or Sprint, you would be disappointed to find out it will not work. There is no way to convert phones, either.
I bought a Samsung Note 3 over a year ago here in Thailand (GSM).....As said it works with NO problems in USA on the T-mobile system with no alterations to the phone. I just put in a T-mobile sim and it worked!clap2.gif
Not sure what Aachen is on about...they do not all use GSM. whistling.gif

My note 3 apparently runs on both systems so I should be good. Thanks for all the replies to everybody.