How to collect a debt owed to you by a farang living in Thailand?

amccbkk

A good friend of mine who lives in France loaned about 2000 quid to an American who is currently living in Phuket. The American has no intention of paying him back voluntarily, so my friend is looking for ways to try to collect on his debt. I said I'd tried to help by asking around. The guy that borrowed the money is a total con artist -- he has done this to a few other people, telling elaborate lies that sound really convincing at the time.

Are there any firms or bounty hunter types here that can collect debts (legally)? Please only useful responses! thumbsup.gif
I've asked my Thai friend, who's very well connected, but he said there's no way to legally collect on private loans. I'm wondering therefore if there are any foreigners that offer such services?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG...

I am thinking that the guy who owes money is the same one I met there in Phuket before. He befriends people who have connections with others people that have good money. The guy I am thinking of has a yahoo id of burger something...like burgerkingman..or similar. He lived in the Philippines and owes 2000 to one of my best friends. In fact, he destroyed my credibility with my friend, as I vouched for his honest. He brags about his ability to "trade up". His story is that his father traded an old shotgun for something else. Then through a series of trade ups, his father would eventually end up with a brand new car. Jack lived in Chiang Mai, and owes money here too. He is unemployed..and last time I seen him, he was in Krabi. He told me he was moving to Hawaii. Avoid this man at all costs...he is a loser.

I think he is about 60...and very fat. An excellent talker....

Bottom line...he never pays back. Never. Money gone forever. He pretty much told me my friend could afford to lose 2000 dollars.

Let me say this...he gets involved with locals that deal drugs.. stay away.

A contract made in writing by two foreigners residing in Thailand, is enforceable in the Thai courts.

Any loan/contract made by someone who is not resident in Thailand is not.

If the loan was made by two residents who still reside here and there is a signed, witnessed contract with terms and conditions for repayment, there would be a need for a fluent Thai speaker (usually a lawyer) who has knowledge of Thai contract law to get involved, as there are a lot of court papers to file. There would also be multiple court appearances and I wonder how much your friend would get back after 3-4 years or more of court visits? Not turning up personally (or your lawyer) even if it's for a 2 minute clarification and the judge will throw it out.

Lending money of any significance to a foreigner here is basically saying goodbye to it, but it is collectible through the right channels with perseverance a lot of it!!.

If the amount was 20,000 + I'd say go for it, but for 2,000 I'd let it slide, even if it is a matter of principle and learn a lesson.

You could always send for Dog the Bounty Hunter. wink.png

A contract made in writing by two foreigners residing in Thailand, is enforceable in the Thai courts.

If the loan was made by two residents who still reside here and there is a signed, witnessed contract with terms and conditions for repayment, there would be a need for a fluent Thai speaker (usually a lawyer) who has knowledge of Thai contract law to get involved, as there are a lot of court papers to file. There would also be multiple court appearances and I wonder how much your friend would get back after 3-4 years or more of court visits? Not turning up personally (or your lawyer) even if it's for a 2 minute clarification and the judge will throw it out.

Lending money of any significance to a foreigner here is basically saying goodbye to it, but it is collectible through the right channels with perseverance a lot of it!!.

If the amount was 20,000 + I'd say go for it, but for 2,000 I'd let it slide, even if it is a matter of principle and learn a lesson.

Thank you. This is very helpful and just what I was looking for. :)

Thank you. This is very helpful and just what I was looking for. smile.png

Yes, it is good advice, and it can be summed-up by saying " Forget about it - cut your losses."

"A contract made in writing by two foreigners residing in Thailand, is enforceable in the Thai courts."

Not entirely true,, the police will not take a complaint against the borrower as this is a loan matter and not

loss on goods sold whereby it has a better ground to sue,

as this is a civil case, you retain a lawyer, no worthwhile lawyer will touch you under 100k baht and that's is cheap,

a civil case will take 2 years and more to come to a hearing, whereby a mediation will be attempted by the judge,

the defended will cry and whinge that he's poor and can't afford to pay back only a much smaller sum in in instalments

too, you have no choice but to agree hoping that you can save some of your lost money, but by now you're out

of pocket for the lawyer and waited 2 years or so, if you insist on the full amount, there will be full hearing and a judgment

against the defended will be issued where by he can appeal to the higher court and so and so forth, in the end you're out

of your minds and money,, have I been there? you bet ya....

I have had people attempt to take me for a similar ride. I spent three years pursuing one of these guys. I did not leave him alone. I used every possible means to contact him, and harass him over the money. Eventually he paid me back, in full. And he told me that I was the first one to ever harass him like that. And he admitted to me that he took someone else for a ride, to pay me back. He told me he would have done anything to get me off his back. That is what these guys do. If your friend puts enough pressure on him, he will get paid back. The worst thing you can do with a weasel like this, is to leave him be. Interrupt his routine. Hassle him, harangue him. Bother him. Don't let it rest. Don't let him get away with it. Forget about legal remedies.

Edited by spidermike007

Big Tim Sharkey in Pattaya would love to help you out but I doubt there is enough cash in it. Seriously mate you never lend money to people you dont know well and he should of researched the bloke before he lent him the money. I wouldnt dare to put a figure on it but I would imagine there are quite a few living in Thailand that basically exist here on the befriending a falang now give us a snip scam. Sorry for your mate but the cash is gone

I have had people attempt to take me for a similar ride. I spent three years pursuing one of these guys. I did not leave him alone. I used every possible means to contact him, and harass him over the money. Eventually he paid me back, in full. And he told me that I was the first one to ever harass him like that. And he admitted to me that he took someone else for a ride, to pay me back. He told me he would have done anything to get me off his back. That is what these guys do. If your friend puts enough pressure on him, he will get paid back. The worst thing you can do with a weasel like this, is to leave him be. Interrupt his routine. Hassle him, harangue him. Bother him. Don't let it rest. Don't let him get away with it. Forget about legal remedies.

"Forget about legal remedies." You just have to hope that the guy you're hassling, haranguing, and bothering doesn't do the same and put a contract out on your life.

1) I agree with smotherb - you vouched, you pay. hence the term vouch bei8ng synonymous with guarantee...

2) This is the digital age and for a small sum I sure you can put digital pressure on the perpetrator to pay up. Where does he hang out? Cover their FB page with photos and stories about his actions. Heck, do it in person with real flyers. For 2,000 you could hire a band to follow him around all day announcing his whereabouts with a trumpet while having a troupe of ladyboys acting out the crime on the nearest street corner. Then you could be posting the whole thing to youtube.

3) Ignore 2) and do it the ol' fashioned way, if you can tolerate the risk. those days are behind me. wink.png

Edited by DirtyDan

1) I agree with smotherb - you vouched, you pay. hence the term vouch bei8ng synonymous with guarantee...

2) This is the digital age and for a small sum I sure you can put digital pressure on the perpetrator to pay up. Where does he hang out? Cover their FB page with photos and stories about his actions. Heck, do it in person with real flyers. For 2,000 you could hire a band to follow him around all day announcing his whereabouts with a trumpet while having a troupe of ladyboys acting out the crime on the nearest street corner. Then you could be posting the whole thing to youtube.

3) Ignore 2) and do it the ol' fashioned way, if you can tolerate the risk. those days are behind me. wink.png[/quote

Right up until he goes you for harassment and defamation of character which is a huge crime in Thailand and he can easily prove you are attempting. Conversely you have zero proof you lent the bloke any money and him being a conman is heresay. Possibly not the best advice posted so far

2,000.00 GBP = 110,954.18 THB

Surely there'd be someone who'd recover that on 50/50 deal, but the likelihood of the conman still having the money to give is probably remote at best, and whoever would still have to cover the collection/bashing bill.

"Forget about legal remedies." You just have to hope that the guy you're hassling, haranguing, and bothering doesn't do the same and put a contract out on your life.

Well, that is the old fall back position in Thailand. Don't push him. He will kill you. I simply cannot live my life in fear of the Cretons. That is exactly what they are hoping for. They are not going to get that fear out of me. Not gonna happen.

2,000.00 GBP = 110,954.18 THB

Surely there'd be someone who'd recover that on 50/50 deal, but the likelihood of the conman still having the money to give is probably remote at best, and whoever would still have to cover the collection/bashing bill.

Not correct. These con men live for the con. Another is just around the corner. If enough pressure is applied, he will con someone else, to get you square. That is how you deal with these fools. It works. I have used this technique myself, to recover money from con men.

OMG...

I am thinking that the guy who owes money is the same one I met there in Phuket before. He befriends people who have connections with others people that have good money. The guy I am thinking of has a yahoo id of burger something...like burgerkingman..or similar. He lived in the Philippines and owes 2000 to one of my best friends. In fact, he destroyed my credibility with my friend, as I vouched for his honest. He brags about his ability to "trade up". His story is that his father traded an old shotgun for something else. Then through a series of trade ups, his father would eventually end up with a brand new car. Jack lived in Chiang Mai, and owes money here too. He is unemployed..and last time I seen him, he was in Krabi. He told me he was moving to Hawaii. Avoid this man at all costs...he is a loser.

I think he is about 60...and very fat. An excellent talker....

Bottom line...he never pays back. Never. Money gone forever. He pretty much told me my friend could afford to lose 2000 dollars.

Let me say this...he gets involved with locals that deal drugs.. stay away.

Hi there -- thanks for your help. It's not the same guy though he operates the same way. The debtor in this case is a young lad in his 20s. Thanks for posting though. :)

Thanks -- this is helpful. :)

A few bickering/inflammatory posts removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

I think that this case may come under the remit of the fast track tourist court system that was set up a couple of years ago.

Assuming that the system is still functioning then it should be possible to get a short free consultation with a lawyer to work out whether the system covers this particular issue.

In Pattaya this is (was) handled by the main court on Thappraya Road but I have no idea where it would be in Phuket. The local tourist police should know.