Bar Fine

Ok don't all laugh at once, but what is a bar fine exactly?

Been in bkk 8 months, never been to pub/nightlife etc except to restaurants - naive I know..., but we are a couple of homebodies.

I have seen the term before and am now reading a book called Bangkok 8 published in 2003. In the book a barfine of 1000 baht for Nana area in mentioned.

Would appreciate a real world definition from some players as to what it means/covers and going rates etc.

While I'm at it (demonstrating my ignorance), what does the term "katoey" mean?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok don't all laugh at once, but what is a bar fine exactly?

While I'm at it (demonstrating my ignorance), what does the term "katoey" mean?

Ignorants, all of them, me old friend in Vienna used to say. 2000 shilling

But then I do believe, a bar fine you have to pay if you tell the BG, you love her and still dream of a katoey. Yes, it is a remodelled BG.

Again, of course. who cares??

Ok how can anyone be in BKK for 8 months and not know what a bar fine is?

Also can you please tell me where the guy paid 1,000 baht!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cause I dont want to go there buy a beer, buy her a beer, negotiate the price for longtime and find thats the fine ( yes Im a true romantic I know!) :o

barfine basically is the fee you have to pay to enable a girl or boy or a katoey (whatever your fancy) to leave work (go with the bar fine payer).

otherwise they're salary gets cut. ie if they pay a 500 bht barfine they normally get 100 bht themselves and the bar gets 400 bht. if they don't pay they get cut 500 bht from they're salary and considering the average salary is around 5000 a month, they can lose alot if barfine is not paid.

barfine is normally 500 bht in a pub/club or gogo or 250 - 300 bht in a beer bar etc, some gogos are charging 1000 bht barfines for show girls. this is bullshit in my opinion, tell them where to go.

ps if a bar/club tries to charge you the fee for the girl/boy also tell them bo**ocks.

Just realised the possible misconceptions my original post may be causing to those with more mischievous minds, so will clarify. The 2 questions are totally unrelated, and no I am not into "katoeys".

Was probably not a good idea to ask them in the same post :o

In any case thanks for the replies so far...

barfine basically is the fee you have to pay to enable a girl or boy or a katoey (whatever your fancy) to leave work (go with the bar fine payer).

otherwise they're salary gets cut. ie if they pay a 500 bht barfine they normally get 100 bht themselves and the bar gets 400 bht. if they don't pay they get cut 500 bht from they're salary and considering the average salary is around 5000 a month, they can lose alot if barfine is not paid.

barfine is normally 500 bht in a pub/club or gogo or 250 - 300 bht in a beer bar etc, some gogos are charging 1000 bht barfines for show girls. this is bullshit in my opinion, tell them where to go.

ps if a bar/club tries to charge you the fee for the girl/boy also tell them bo**ocks.

It is a take away fee :o

also realize that if the mamasan is aware that the girl does not want to go away with the punter (big, fat and disgusting) then she must pay the bar fine herself. The girls have ways of covering each other but the policy can still take a big chunk of your 5000 per month wages. This is what happens when the lady that you wanted to take away suddenly disappears.

Some people react like he is from out of space,not knowing what a barfine is!

To be honest I didn't either.

Please realize that there are members NOT participating in the barscene. :o

I must admit if you read all the posts,you can become quite an expert on many subjects :D

Thanks dutch :o

As correctly pointed out, not all of us participate in the bar scene. Since I am here with my partner (farang female) the opportunity for practical experience in very linimted, hence my knowledge of these things thusfar is restricted to what I read.

OK so if I've got this barfine thing straight, then the barfine if the fee payable for the priviledge of having the lady accompany you and leaving the premises.

My follow-on question is then what's in it for the girl? - davethailand wrote that she probably gets about 100 baht from a say 500 baht barfine.

Is it reasonable to assume that private negotiations are held between the lady and her "knight for a night" as to a supplementary fee for any personal services etc, or is this al covered by the barfine?

Thanks dutch :D

As correctly pointed out, not all of us participate in the bar scene. Since I am here with my partner (farang female) the opportunity for practical experience in very linimted, hence my knowledge of these things thusfar is restricted to what I read.

OK so if I've got this barfine thing straight, then the barfine if the fee payable for the priviledge of having the lady accompany you and leaving the premises.

My follow-on question is then what's in it for the girl? - davethailand wrote that she probably gets about 100 baht from a say 500 baht barfine.

Is it reasonable to assume that private negotiations are held between the lady and her "knight for a night" as to a supplementary fee for any personal services etc, or is this al covered by the barfine?

I think the bar fine covers the costs (or close to), for the bar owner/pimp, housing them. My mate, even gives them motorbikes :o - I suppose someone has to pay.

Usually there is the whole "work force" living in 1 house, that is payed by the owners of the bar.

Thanks dutch :o

As I am told, and verily believe, some further trade negotiations form the final contract. It does sound as though ole Cyber is planning some research into cultural happenings in and around the streets of delights :D

the bar fines only go to the club or bar, as stated before the girl/boy will get a part of it as bonus (100 bht from a 500 bht fine)

once the girl/boy is away from the bar then their fee is between you and them, normally 1000-1500 for all night (showgirls may not go for less than 2000 bht all night) short time 500 bht - 1000 bht.

alot of gogos have a rule that if a customer likes the boy/girl and wants to pay bar, the girl/boy has to go, even if they are big ,small, bald, hairy, ugly or whatever, ( a bit unfair i think)

how do i know all this? i'm a happily married man.

the bar fines only go to the club or bar, as stated before the girl/boy will get a part of it as bonus (100 bht from a 500 bht fine)

once the girl/boy is away from the bar then their fee is between you and them, normally 1000-1500 for all night (showgirls may not go for less than 2000 bht all night) short time 500 bht - 1000 bht.

alot of gogos have a rule that if a customer likes the boy/girl and wants to pay bar, the girl/boy has to go, even if they are big ,small, bald, hairy, ugly or whatever, ( a bit unfair i think)

how do i know all this? i'm a happily married man.

Soeone must have told you then Dave. :o

Dave, whom did you talk to?

Somebody told me that the fees have gone up somehow, at least in Bangkok,...

1000 Baht would be the very minimum for a very short time and long time would be 2000 to whatever,.... :o:D

i have a bar in walking st and many of my friends own, manage beer bars and gogo bars. also my wife and i have alot of friends who are gogo or service girls, we always do the rounds in walking st everynight going to see friends etc.

its true that some bar fines have gone up to 1000 bht.

thats too much in my opinion.

Dunno 1000BHT seems really pricey-granted maybe this is Bangkok?? :D My mates paid no where near that price in Pattaya.. the gals were lucky to get 500BTH or less and bar fines were 250BTH. However we are talking beer bars- don't think they ventured into the Go Gos.

I tried to set them up with mates of my TGF but they weren't interested. Basically were on a mission to shag a diff girl every night. :o

i have a bar in walking st and many of my friends own, manage beer bars and gogo bars. also my wife and i have alot of friends who are gogo or service girls, we always do the rounds in walking st everynight going to see friends etc.

its true that some bar fines have gone up to 1000 bht.

thats too much in my opinion.

Say no more Dave....peeps are watching and recording :o