Nattawut, Veerakarn, Weng, Viphuthalaeng sentenced to 4 years, 4 month in prison

webfact

Fair quote englishoak, but it seems funny to me that only a certain percentage of the people "rose up" and went to Bangkok armed with serious weapons and drums of gasoline. Or were the redshirts the only ones treated like animals ?

I bet the vast majority of the population don't know or care what happens in the city, their main concern is getting on with life.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fair quote englishoak, but it seems funny to me that only a certain percentage of the people "rose up" and went to Bangkok armed with serious weapons and drums of gasoline. Or were the redshirts the only ones treated like animals ?

I bet the vast majority of the population don't know or care what happens in the city, their main concern is getting on with life.

Well I guess id have to ask in return how many times has a red electoral victory been militarily overturned compared to a yellow victory. ?

In fact lets not restrict it to the last couple of examples but lets go back a lot further. How many times has a democrat electoral win been overturned by a coup ? im not aware of once. How many times has a coup been on the side of the poor and how many on the side of the elite ?

We know the past decade alone has had three coups ousting a red electoral victory. We know the trouble in the far south has not abated and thats also partly because of the way they have been and are treated.

Plenty of violent incidents regarding yellow during the last years protests, id put about 30% of the violence down to the PDRC goons and a lot more besides in many other forms, all designed to unstabilise and cause unrest.

But lets not stop there, its only part of the example of Thai violent behaviour.

There is all the domestic violence, the rapes, the beatings, the school on school violence. The colour of skin stigma, the sexism, the sex industry, the maid and servant culture, the ridiculous older always knows best thing, even face revolves around emotions and often leads to violence. -*-*

Then there is the treatment of other nationals, the Lao, the Cambodian, the Burmese, the Rohinga, the boat people, the fishing slaves, the bondage slaves, the countless factories.

The vast majority of Thai of course just want to get on with their lives but they do care how they live and not a few do so in the city, in society outside the ballot box it is never the majority that ever do anything, it is always the few that affect change and like it or not direct and physical action is the only thing left if voices are silenced.

Voting is a peaceful way of protesting, it allows the people to send a message of content to the ruling classes, an approval rating if you like but its also a warning of a populations opinions.

Forgetting for a moment the players involved but just focusing on the mandate given by an electorate...

IF over and over these voices are ignored or silenced, oppressed, told they are scum, told they are dumb, told they are nothing, told they will never be anything, yet shown for all their numbers and choice of party regardless of winning it will always be taken away anytime the elite or/and military feel like it. Then what can be concluded from this action taken against the will of the people again and again, what message does it send ?

They have been told voting will get results, after all they vote but the winner gets deposed in a coup, then again, etc etc. There is a point some will just think there is no point talking or even listening any longer, they will seek alternatives since no one will put up with oppression forever without at least doing something to change that.

At some point some are going to stop ticking bits of paper, see it as meaningless ( which it is ) and start taking more direct action. At some point something is going to snap.

Also and finally there is a far greater number of migrants in the north over decades, these all come from neighbouring countries that have a history of the same oppression and similar treatment. The answer in all these places they came from or fled from was revolution and direct physical action and yes often an even worse oppression by the Juntas who took control but the lesson wont have been forgotten or lost on them...when talking/voting fails or becomes meaningless physical violence becomes the default button.

These are tough people but not that educated, generally very nice too, until they arnt, we all know the Thai smile and heart is matched only by their cruelty.

Then people die.

Edited by englishoak

Well, if it's 4 years for doing that then exxpect 400 years for the lunatics who took over the airport, right?

Don't want to get into an argument with you Prbkk, comparing acts of terrorism and civil disobedience, but after what happened in Bangkok in 2010 the airport protests pale into insignificance.

But you are right, the airport protesters deserve to be punished for what happened at Swampy. biggrin.png

So occupying an international airport is not terrorism. Words fail me.

And just where in my post did I say occupying an international airport is not terrorism ?

I said - "comparing acts of terrorism and civil disobedience", meaning both the redshirt protests in 2010 and the airport takeover by the Yellowshirts were acts of terrorism and civil disobedience.

Otherwise I would have said "comparing acts of terrorism to civil disobedience."

Kowjai mai ?

• 4 weeks later...

So these people receive a four year plus sentence for illegal assembly and speeches asking Gen Premier to step down. Hmm they did not assault anyone but the fact that they did not stop those listening to them speak from assaulting police is a crime too? And his are all these criminals suddenly sick when the case comes to an end? Sometimes you have to wonder what is going on in the so called Thai Justice system. Weird!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I guess id have to ask in return how many times has a red electoral victory been militarily overturned compared to a yellow victory. ?

In fact lets not restrict it to the last couple of examples but lets go back a lot further. How many times has a democrat electoral win been overturned by a coup ? im not aware of once. How many times has a coup been on the side of the poor and how many on the side of the elite ?

We know the past decade alone has had three coups ousting a red electoral victory. We know the trouble in the far south has not abated and thats also partly because of the way they have been and are treated.

Plenty of violent incidents regarding yellow during the last years protests, id put about 30% of the violence down to the PDRC goons and a lot more besides in many other forms, all designed to unstabilise and cause unrest.

But lets not stop there, its only part of the example of Thai violent behaviour.

There is all the domestic violence, the rapes, the beatings, the school on school violence. The colour of skin stigma, the sexism, the sex industry, the maid and servant culture, the ridiculous older always knows best thing, even face revolves around emotions and often leads to violence. -*-*

Then there is the treatment of other nationals, the Lao, the Cambodian, the Burmese, the Rohinga, the boat people, the fishing slaves, the bondage slaves, the countless factories.

The vast majority of Thai of course just want to get on with their lives but they do care how they live and not a few do so in the city, in society outside the ballot box it is never the majority that ever do anything, it is always the few that affect change and like it or not direct and physical action is the only thing left if voices are silenced.

Voting is a peaceful way of protesting, it allows the people to send a message of content to the ruling classes, an approval rating if you like but its also a warning of a populations opinions.

Forgetting for a moment the players involved but just focusing on the mandate given by an electorate...

IF over and over these voices are ignored or silenced, oppressed, told they are scum, told they are dumb, told they are nothing, told they will never be anything, yet shown for all their numbers and choice of party regardless of winning it will always be taken away anytime the elite or/and military feel like it. Then what can be concluded from this action taken against the will of the people again and again, what message does it send ?

They have been told voting will get results, after all they vote but the winner gets deposed in a coup, then again, etc etc. There is a point some will just think there is no point talking or even listening any longer, they will seek alternatives since no one will put up with oppression forever without at least doing something to change that.

At some point some are going to stop ticking bits of paper, see it as meaningless ( which it is ) and start taking more direct action. At some point something is going to snap.

Also and finally there is a far greater number of migrants in the north over decades, these all come from neighbouring countries that have a history of the same oppression and similar treatment. The answer in all these places they came from or fled from was revolution and direct physical action and yes often an even worse oppression by the Juntas who took control but the lesson wont have been forgotten or lost on them...when talking/voting fails or becomes meaningless physical violence becomes the default button.

These are tough people but not that educated, generally very nice too, until they arnt, we all know the Thai smile and heart is matched only by their cruelty.

Then people die.

Die of boredom reading drivel like this. Thai this, Thai that, the 4 years in jail are due to the crimes commited. Leave the history repeats itself, I'm an expert on Thailand at home for your chums to listen to in some boring powerpoint or slideshow presentation.

Man is born the same. We all can be nice or nasty. Stop this Thai stereotyping BS.

And 800 for the arson and rioting in Bangkok.

Now, who was it who said he'd be responsible for that?

Unpleasant though it was, the centralworld arson did not cost the country 60 billion baht or cause great loss to 2 million tourists.

If its about money then YL will have to be in jail even longer.

Fact is that the airport seizure was bad but not half as violent as the burning of BKK

the burning of BKK

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

A real tub-thumper. A bit like 'The great mass of the people'.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

No matter how delusional, there's always some cruet who'll believe it.

coffee1.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBDm-jA3N80 Believe your eyes Annie