Video of Thai navy cadets smashing phones stirs criticism

webfact

When I was in the army they called it dicipline .

Something we all need to learn in life , especially the young Thai men .

When I was in the Army it was called "f#ck#ng the troops about".

It wasn't good for discipline, morale or unit cohesion.

It can be safely regarded as an indicator of piss poor leadership.

Can't see what the fuss is about. Fairly mild discipline. Try asking locals about the punishments that are meted out to conscripts. Don't think they will be posted on youtube.

A couple of years ago I saw a company of recruit conscripts doing fatigues (at the Chiang Rai flower show as I recall).

They were all dressed in PT kit. The NCOs were all in full kit, and carrying sidearms. I wandered why they needed pistols to defend themselves from a bunch of recruits. If this is the sort of thing that goes on (and as you suggest worse), then perhaps I now realise why.

youre missing the point of this thread and the exercise you mentioned

its builds unity and solidarity amongst a team under pressure ,basically the kind of things you would need in a war /criisis situation

similar to marching in the snow through ice cold rivers while the co's get to stay on the bank and shout with a megaphone (fully dressed in full comfort of course ) :)

there should be no individual who thinks he can have a phone / act irresponsibly ,not follow orders etc

we often had to run extra miles or do extra pushups while already exhaiusted because just 1 person fcuked up

was it fair ? probably not

did it work? definately yes

Can't see what the fuss is about. Fairly mild discipline. Try asking locals about the punishments that are meted out to conscripts. Don't think they will be posted on youtube.

Doing significant monetary damage to private property should be a no-no. Frisk search and confiscation for several months is OK.

Mrs.Trans son on applying for a Navy job was TOLD........NO phones allowed.......Internet was provided for talking to family or chums when off duty...

To me that is plain and clear.........If kids want to 'play' with the rules, and folk here want to moly coddle..........gawd.............rolleyes.gif

especially thesedays ,when someones smartphone could give away their position or compromise an entire mission

no phones = no phones

this isnt the cinema ,like everything else in thai theyve probably been breaking this rule since smartphones were invented

so when a serious order comes down they dont even take it seriously .......

When I was in the army they called it dicipline .

Something we all need to learn in life , especially the young Thai men .

When I was in the Army it was called "f#ck#ng the troops about".

It wasn't good for discipline, morale or unit cohesion.

It can be safely regarded as an indicator of piss poor leadership.

A couple of years ago I saw a company of recruit conscripts doing fatigues (at the Chiang Rai flower show as I recall).

They were all dressed in PT kit. The NCOs were all in full kit, and carrying sidearms. I wandered why they needed pistols to defend themselves from a bunch of recruits. If this is the sort of thing that goes on (and as you suggest worse), then perhaps I now realise why.

its builds unity and solidarity amongst a team under pressure ,basically the kind of things you would need in a war /criisis situation

similar to marching in the snow through ice cold rivers while the co's get to stay on the bank and shout with a megaphone (fully dressed in full comfort of course ) smile.png

there should be no individual who thinks he can have a phone / act irresponsibly ,not follow orders etc

we often had to run extra miles or do extra pushups while already exhaiusted because just 1 person fcuked up

I don't agree. Yes of course no individual should be able to act irresponsibly or ignore orders. Yes people who do should be punished. Smashing phones is not a punishment, as I said it's "f#ck#ng the troops about". As is standing on the bank of a river shouting through a megaphone at troops wading in a freezing cold river. You lead from the front. It's as simple as that. I don't wish to sound pompous, but in a well run unit it would simply not be allowed to happen.Neither smashing phones or shouting from the bank with a megaphone builds unity and solidarity amongst a team under pressure. It also undermines trust, loyalty and belief in the officers.

similar to marching in the snow through ice cold rivers while the co's get to stay on the bank and shout with a megaphone (fully dressed in full comfort of course ) smile.png

I don't agree. Yes of course no individual should be able to act irresponsibly or ignore orders. Yes people who do should be punished. Smashing phones is not a punishment, as I said it's "f#ck#ng the troops about". As is standing on the bank of a river shouting through a megaphone at troops wading in a freezing cold river. You lead from the front. It's as simple as that. I don't wish to sound pompous, but in a well run unit it would simply not be allowed to happen.Neither smashing phones or shouting from the bank with a megaphone builds unity and solidarity amongst a team under pressure. It also undermines trust, loyalty and belief in the officers.

You seem to be looking at this slightly wrong.

The people in charge of training will of course do this, stand to one side and hurl abuse at the individuals they are trying to form into a team, to think like a team. If at this stage they decide to disregard an order, in this case being in possession of mobile phones when they have been told not to, they suffer the consequences. Confiscation is not a punishment, lose is. It may sound harsh, but later when following orders mean the difference between life and death, it will matter.

When basic training is over, it is back to individuals who will be drafted into operational units where teamwork exists already.

It is a long way down the line that an officer is assigned to that unit. If that officer then tried to do what the basic training staff did, to an operational unit, he wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Different worlds...................wink.png

Funny how so many expats concur with the officers for demanding that the rules are followed and those breaking the rules should rightfully have their phones destroyed and they all say 'diddums...they should have followed the rules'.

Remember this next time you complain about laws in Thailand that you feel affect your daily life here. "Dammit..I can't but beer before 12noon". "Why should I pay more than Thais??" and don't get me started on those numpties moaning about immigration rules.

Vid of Thai Army guy hitting targets at 50m with a pistol he only missed the first shot

that female instructors ass would look much better in a pair of hotpants .........

why does she have to dress up like the boys ? :(

Notwithstanding the marksmanship of the guy with the gun or the fine assets of the young lady in camouflage trousers, could someone suggest why the guy with the gun is the only one wearing ear defenders?

Presumably the 'instructors' spend a fair amount of time on the range, surely they are in need of ear defenders more than anyone? Admittedly they could be using ear plugs but judging by the reaction of the male instructor I doubt it.