Car Road Tax Renewal Date Falls Due When Out of Country

tomdfc

I suspect I’m not the first to be in this situation –

• 2nd November – fly out of Thailand
  • 24th November – road tax / sticker renewal date
  • 26th November – car insurance renewal date
  • 9th December – estimated return date to Thailand

- and so I am trying to work out if and how I can get the vehicle taxed before I go, or after I come back.

I know I will need at least the compulsory motor insurance for the year ahead and normally I get that with my full insurance cover. So I suppose I could organise an early insurance renewal to get the necessary bit of paper.

But I don’t know how early I can go to the DLT (in Chiang Mai) or whether there is a grace period after the due date. (And I presume I couldn't legally drive an untaxed vehicle to the DLT to renew.)

Any advice gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Sticker/road tax can be renewed 1 month before expiry. Insurance can also be renewed at least 1 month before expiry.

You can do it when you get back and they back-date the road tax with a small daily penalty (I delayed renewing on a motorbike for almost 1 year since it wasn't being used and I didn't declare it as being off-road and the penalty was about 200 baht).

Don't forget you'll need to have the car checked over at a testing station before you can renew the road tax if it's over 5 (?) years old.

And some testing stations will also go to collect your road tax for you for a small fee (although you need to leave your blue book with them...which could easily be copied...).

Edited by GavinK

• 1 year later...

I was looking for how early one can pay road tax before expiry date (90 days based on this).  Thank you.

By the way, we also had the situation when insurance due date and road tax was on different dates.  We asked the insurance company to make our car insurance (have them handling both compulsory and comprehensive) due dates the same as the road tax date so we could reduce the number of dates we have to remember (making life a little easier). The OP has only 2 days difference so I not to worry, but we had a couple of months difference.