Border Run Alternatives

I worry I am losing my brain function when I try to read and understand all these visas and the ways you guys use them to  extend your stays.   I'm under 60, have a scientific degree but this stuff goes down about like cottage cheese.    Tell me I'm not alone.  

My issue is simple. Stay of 40 days leaving Jan 17.  So I need to get some extra days prior to January 7.  I probably should have got a 1900 baht extension in Udon Thani on Tues or wed morning before coming to Bkk since the line sounds shorter.  I am in Hau hin today for a few days before back to Bkk.  Is there a border run from hua hin?  I may consider flying somewhere.  I hate the idea of wasting a day in changwattana.  What a stupid silly system.  It seems like any logical person could fix this system so easily.   

You could apply for the 30 day extension at Hua Hin immigration today or Wednesday if you have an address for there to put on the application form.

The nearest crossing to Hua Hin is the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing in Kanchanaburi. There have been reports that they will now allow a crossing for a visa exempt entry. If not there Ranong is the nearest after it.

I bet that a lot of people don't know the border crossings are so far away from each other and you have to make so long distance to get to one.
I didn't know they were so far apart. Guessed there would be one every 10 km or so.

This must be about 300 km ?

On 1/4/2018 at 12:18 AM, haelewyn said:

I bet that a lot of people don't know the border crossings are so far away from each other and you have to make so long distance to get to one.
I didn't know they were so far apart. Guessed there would be one every 10 km or so.

This must be about 300 km ?

Border crossings are expensive to maintain and man. The land borders around Thailand total 4,863 km. What you suggest would require nearly 500 border crossings (compared to the current 23 international crossings). The costs would be astronomical. Further, most parts of Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos do not have road connections that would make such crossings useful for trade or regular travelers.

Sorry if my question has been answered but there is too many pages to try browse through.

I'm from the UK and currently in Bangkok.

I arrived on a 60 day tourist visa which I got in Glasgow, I then extended this for 30 days at an immigration centre at Bangkok which now takes me to the end of this month.

I need another visa and then I will go back to Glasgow on the 21st February and its to ask what is the best and cheapest way to do this as I wasn't sure if land border runs are still a valid way to get another 30 days?

I also have access to a car but no issues with a bus or whatever.

Any information is fully appreciated.

Peter

13 minutes ago, Lambhill said:

I need another visa and then I will go back to Glasgow on the 21st February and its to ask what is the best and cheapest way to do this as I wasn't sure if land border runs are still a valid way to get another 30 days?

You can get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a land border crossing. They are limited to 2 per calendar year is the only restriction for doing them.

From Bangkok most people use a Cambodian border crossing. 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a land border crossing. They are limited to 2 per calendar year is the only restriction for doing them.

From Bangkok most people use a Cambodian border crossing. 

Do I have to stay overnight or is it just a case of crossing the immigration lines, doing the paperwork then returning ?

Is there also a cost and do you perceive any issues with me driving or would you recommend a company?

Thank you for the quick reply and answers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lambhill said:

Do I have to stay overnight or is it just a case of crossing the immigration lines, doing the paperwork then returning ?

Is there also a cost and do you perceive any issues with me driving or would you recommend a company?

No need to stay overnight. You can cross and then turnaround and come right back.

If it is the first time doing the crossing at Cambodia their are lots of touts and scams you have to watch out for.

This company has been reported as being good. They make the run to Ban Laem and the crossing to Myanmar in Kanchanaburi. http://www.thaivisaservice.com/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lambhill said:

I also have access to a car

7 hours ago, Lambhill said:

Is there also a cost and do you perceive any issues with me driving

I recommend drive yourself your phone with Google maps navigation will guide you to a border you choose, both countries Cambodia and Myanmar have Visa fees when you cross.

Or you look at https://www.skyscanner.net and fly out and back into Thailand same day,

to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore or ? 

Flights are also less dangerous then roads. :smile:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

I recommend drive yourself your phone with Google maps navigation will guide you to a border you choose, both countries Cambodia and Myanmar have Visa fees when you cross.

Or you look at https://www.skyscanner.net and fly out and back into Thailand same day,

to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore or ? 

Flights are also less dangerous then roads. :smile:

I think the flights to KL is about £60 which is just about the same as a bus and visa fee to Cambodia and less hassle so think Ill be doing that option and thanks for all the advice :-)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lambhill said:

I think the flights to KL is about £60 which is just about the same as a bus and visa fee to Cambodia and less hassle so think Ill be doing that option and thanks for all the advice :-)

You are welcome.

On 23.1. I see flights to and from KL at 2.800 B. Return

You also save to pay the Visa fee for Cambodia, 20 Dollar or already more?

Or the smaller I think Visa fee for Myanmar and - you loose not 1 full page more for the Visa stickers you get in Myanmar and Cambodia. 

Also Cambodia excepts a Internet E-visa if made in time before. 

Another possibility - fly Don Muang - Udon Thani return - on 23.1. About 1.600 B. Return

Take a Bus to Nong Khai - or the border to Vientiane and all back - but including the Lao Visa fee - 35 Dollar that is more time consuming and costs same or more. ?

I think Nok Air has also a Tour including Transport to the border or Vientiane and back.

More interesting if you would need to make a Thai Visa.

Have a nice trip.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:09 AM, ALFREDO said:

You are welcome.

On 23.1. I see flights to and from KL at 2.800 B. Return

You also save to pay the Visa fee for Cambodia, 20 Dollar or already more?

Or the smaller I think Visa fee for Myanmar and - you loose not 1 full page more for the Visa stickers you get in Myanmar and Cambodia. 

Also Cambodia excepts a Internet E-visa if made in time before. 

Another possibility - fly Don Muang - Udon Thani return - on 23.1. About 1.600 B. Return

Take a Bus to Nong Khai - or the border to Vientiane and all back - but including the Lao Visa fee - 35 Dollar that is more time consuming and costs same or more. ?

I think Nok Air has also a Tour including Transport to the border or Vientiane and back.

More interesting if you would need to make a Thai Visa.

Have a nice trip.

I've managed to pick up a cheap KL flight about 3.000 B return so go on 31st Jan although another 400 baht card fee lol 

I think I get the train for KL airport to city centre and if anyone knows the best time to buy my ticket for this please let me know but at moment I will just buy at airport

Edited by Lambhill
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Ref border run choices...

I'm in Hua Hin and have a SETEE(single entry tourist exempt entry) and have already extended it 30 days until 19 Feb

To get the point I have previously done both Kanchanaburi (Baan Pu Nam Ron) and Ranong Andaman Pier.

The reason I went all the way to Ranong last February was because Kanchanaburi did not(at that time) take SETEE( but only METV(multiple entry tourist visas) or at least I was advised on this forum they didn't(??)

The purpose of this post is to double check whether anything has changed?

For example does Kanchanaburi now take SETEE? As it's nearer and I'd prefer to go there....

And is Ranong Andaman still operating as it was before? I know the drill if it is, but just checking

Any other changes I might need to be aware of?

Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

A visa run service has started making runs from Bangkok to Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing in Kanchanaburi for a visa exempt entry. There is also a company in Kanchanaburi doing them. Apparently they are now allowed but I have seen no reports of an individual doing them.

No changes at Ranong that I am aware of.

Be aware that you can only do 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at at land border crossings now.

• Like 1

A visa run service has started making runs from Bangkok to Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing in Kanchanaburi for a visa exempt entry. There is also a company in Kanchanaburi doing them. Apparently they are now allowed but I have seen no reports of an individual doing them.
Be aware that you can only do 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at at land border crossings now.
Thanks as it would appear from what you say it's now possible at Kanchanaburi. As you infer I really need the comfort of knowing from others that (extended) single entry tourist exempt entries can be accepted there and recently too.

I will try to contact the company in Kanchanaburi that you mention.

I also thought of asking Immigration in Hua Hin (Bluport) if they could ask /confirm?

Thanks as it would appear from what you say it's now possible at Kanchanaburi. As you infer I really need the comfort of knowing from others that (extended) single entry tourist exempt entries can be accepted there and recently too.

I also thought of asking Immigration in Hua Hin (Bluport) if they could ask /confirm?

It seems it is easy to do the border run from Kanchanaburi.

I intend going there on Thurs, 25th.

Is there overnight accommodation on the Myanmar side?

Any other info you can provide?

Finally can you extend the entry for another 30 days at Chang Wattana? 

Thanks!!!!

It seems it is easy to do the border run from Kanchanaburi.
I intend going there on Thurs, 25th.
Thanks!!!!
Re Hotel...... All I can say is that when I went across the Myanmar border there(Baan Pu Nam Ron) they took three of us in a car to a mountain top village where they stamped our passports. It was a very poor run down village indeed, a lot different to Thailand. Now for all I know if you carry on going it may get nicer and there may be a hotel so maybe others can comment. But like I say it was grim and I was shocked how poor it was!

7 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

There is nothing near the crossing on the Myanmar side.

After clearing Thai immigration you pay 950 baht for transport across no mans land and the fee for a Myanmar border pass (500 baht). Then bring you back to the Thai side. Reports are that the driver collects you passport and while you wait they handle Myanmar immigration  formalities for your.

You can extend the entry for 30 days at immigration.

Update on my earlier post.... I spoke to the Immigration Officer at Hua Hin Bluport just before. He said that the fact that I have a tourist exempt entry as opposed to a multi entry visa is irrelevant. He said I can go out and come back in again and get 30 days at Kanchanaburi.

Obviously I want to believe him but I'm nervous because I have been advised in the past that Thai side for re entry would not let you back in unless you had a visa ie a multiple entry which clearly granted you entry back in. And that mere tourists could not gain entry here. So much so that last year I travelled much further to Ranong(ok, maybe that was necessary then because rules since changed)

Like I say I'm just nervous as it's a long way!

I suppose I could go a few days earlier than needed(which my itinerary allows) and hopefully the Thai exit office should be able to confirm that it's OK before I do it

But would appreciate confirmation from anyone who has recently done an in/out at Kanchanaburi without a (preapproved reentry) visa!

9 hours ago, thecolonel said:

Update on my earlier post.... I spoke to the Immigration Officer at Hua Hin Bluport just before. He said that the fact that I have a tourist exempt entry as opposed to a multi entry visa is irrelevant. He said I can go out and come back in again and get 30 days at Kanchanaburi.

Although I am pretty sure visa exempt entry at Ban Phu Nam Ron is OK right now, I seriously advise you not to rely on what immigration office and Thai consulates abroad tell you about what happens elsewhere.They are notoriously unreliable sources.

If the Thai side is not going to give you a visa exempt entry. they will not allow you to leave Thailand unless you have a Myanmar visa allowing onward travel within Myanmar. That should be irrelevant in your case, but I can assure you there is zero chance that you can become marooned on the Myanmar side because Thailand will not let you re-enter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I am looking to do a land visa run to Mae Sai next week. It seems like 2 such entries are allowed per calendar year. I did one in December, 2017, so this would be my first land visa run for calendar 2018. I plan to be in Thailand less than 60 days from next week's trip; if these plans change, I will convert to a retirement visa.

I don't think this will be a problem, and I will carry 10,000 THB in cash just in case it's asked for.

Could somebody please comment on my plan.... is there anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Hi!

I am looking to do a land visa run to Mae Sai next week. It seems like 2 such entries are allowed per calendar year. I did one in December, 2017, so this would be my first land visa run for calendar 2018. I plan to be in Thailand less than 60 days from next week's trip; if these plans change, I will convert to a retirement visa.

I don't think this will be a problem, and I will carry 10,000 THB in cash just in case it's asked for.

Could somebody please comment on my plan.... is there anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Nope, its quite straight forward , just go to Maesai , cross to Myanmar and come back again

No money needs to be shown .

You will get 30 days visa exempt , which can be extended for another 30 days

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

just go to Maesai , cross to Myanmar and come back again

No money needs to be shown .

You will get 30 days visa exempt , which can be extended for another 30 days

Thanks! This is exactly how it worked 2 months ago (though I will bring cash "just in case").

I've got pending business in the Philippines that may take some time; otherwise I'd convert to a retirement visa.

Ok i appreciate I may be going off topic here but.... How straightforward is it to convert a tourist exempt entry into a retirement visa (I do qualify and have had the required funds on deposit in Thai bank for almost a year now)?