Border Run Alternatives

1 hour ago, Jonathang said:

My friend told me i could get 2 extensions a year, and then for the rest of the year i need to border run? This is correct, if i want to stay in Thailand for a long time?!

No. There is no limit of the number of extensions of stay you can apply for. You can only make 2 land border runs (visa exempt entries) per year without a visa.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gilles7733 said:

If we stay only one night in KUL then flight back to Thailand, can we get the 1 month visa exempt entry?

If you qualify for the visa exempt entry then you would indeed get another 1 month visa exempt entry (even if you flew straight back home from KUL the same day you left TH). That is of course, unless you have already numerous back to back visa exempt entries which *might* result in questions being asked by the IO etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So far this year i have been on a ED Visa and after that a SETV, that i have extended with 30 days.

As they are to run out soon, i had planed for a month vacation, in indonesia. But as my gf unfortunatly just had an accident and broke her leg, we aint going anywhere for a month or 2.

My idea was to get a new ED when I returned from holiday, but there is too little time before my visa to run out, to use that option.

So my questions are.

1. Can I do a border run, and get 15 or 30 days?

2. And if I can do it, can I then extend thoose 15/30 days?

3. Where would be the best choice for me, to go.

I am based in Hua hin, and will be driving myself.

Cheers.

16 minutes ago, Usi said:

1. Can I do a border run, and get 15 or 30 days?

2. And if I can do it, can I then extend thoose 15/30 days?

3. Where would be the best choice for me, to go.

1. Yes and you will get a 30 day visa exempt entry. The 15 day entry rule was rescinded on January 1st when the 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossings per calendar rule went into effect.

2. You can a 30 day extension at an immigration office.

3. Ranong is the nearest crossing to Hua Hin where you can do the entry. I suggest you have 10k baht in cash in case they ask to see it.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Yes and you will get a 30 day visa exempt entry. The 15 day entry rule was rescinded on January 1st when the 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossings per calendar rule went into effect.

2. You can a 30 day extension at an immigration office.

3. Ranong is the nearest crossing to Hua Hin where you can do the entry. I suggest you have 10k baht in cash in case they ask to see it.

Thank you very much. Your post was as always, very helpful ! :)

2 hours ago, splodger said:

can you fly from bkk to pnom phen and come back next day

Yes, that is possible. Be aware, though, that if you are doing this for a visa exempt entry, and you have spent significant time in Thailand already, Thai immigration may question you on your motivation for spending so much time in Thailand. It is advisable to have 20,000 baht cash on you as a common excuse used by immigration officials who want to deny entry is lack of funds to support yourself in Thailand without working.

• Like 1

I entered Thailand aboard my sailboat in Phuket sailing from Langkawi in January. I was injured in a boat accident in February, paid a 20,000 baht bond to Thai customs and flew back to Europe for recovery from my injuries. I flew back to Phuket April 29 and got a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp. I then went to customs and was refunded the 20,000 baht. On May 26, I went to Phuket Immigration and paid for an extension of stay for an additional 30 days. My stamp says that I must leave Thailand by June 27 in 6 days time. Phuket Immigration will not extend again and told me I must leave Thailand. My boat needs some repair and will not be ready in time. I will not receive my pension check in time to pay the 20,000 baht bond. I want to go to Ranong and make a quick trip across the border to get extended another 30 days. Will immigration in Ranong allow me to cross over and back without paying the bond?

Do I have to pay 20000

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , I have a 1 year marriage non o visa which i got in Savannakhet and i now need to do a 90 day in/out at  Ban Phu Nam Ron  are they still operating there and are they working on national holidays as i have to go next week before the 15th and i see that there are 3 holidays one it says government holiday on the 11th July. Thank you very much in advance.

Kyri.

2 minutes ago, Kyri said:

Hi , I have a 1 year marriage non o visa which i got in Savannakhet and i now need to do a 90 day in/out at  Ban Phu Nam Ron  are they still operating there and are they working on national holidays as i have to go next week before the 15th and i see that there are 3 holidays one it says government holiday on the 11th July. Thank you very much in advance.

Kyri.

They are open.

Border crossings do not close for holidays or weekends.

You will pay 950 baht for transport across no mans land that includes the 500 baht fee for the Myanmar border pass.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently in Chiang Mai on a 60-day visa which has already been extended for 30 days. The extension expires Aug. 18. I'm currently unsure what happens if I go to Mae Sai and cross the border. When I return to Thailand, will I be given 15 days or 30 days?  7 days?

9 minutes ago, JulieM said:

I am currently in Chiang Mai on a 60-day visa which has already been extended for 30 days. The extension expires Aug. 18. I'm currently unsure what happens if I go to Mae Sai and cross the border. When I return to Thailand, will I be given 15 days or 30 days?  7 days?

30 if your asking about visa exempt entry. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I haven't done one of these runs for a few years but looks like I might need to do it soon. I am currently on 1 year extension for Thai Child.

What is the nearest / easiest place for a 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa? Laos / Myanmar / Cambodia? (I can't go to KL).

What are the requirements for this type of visa?

My 1 year extension expiry date is 28 Aug, I assume I can fly out on 28th itself without being considered overstaying?

Thanks for your help.

4 hours ago, rambling said:

Hello, I haven't done one of these runs for a few years but looks like I might need to do it soon. I am currently on 1 year extension for Thai Child.

What is the nearest / easiest place for a 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa? Laos / Myanmar / Cambodia? (I can't go to KL).

What are the requirements for this type of visa?

My 1 year extension expiry date is 28 Aug, I assume I can fly out on 28th itself without being considered overstaying?

Thanks for your help.

The right Visa for you, would be a Non Immigrant O, good for 3 month - reason having a Thai child - if you to young or not retired.

Need, Birth certificate of child with your name as a father, House book where you stay with child, ID card from mother,

all in copy - but signed from mother. Relevant copies from your Passport.

2 photos from you, 

If its possible and not a financial burden - come with child or at least with mother to Thai Consulate - its not a must, but is good and can be helping.

With that Visa you can in TH then extend for 2 month for having a Thai child

or even for a year, if you have for 2 or 3? month 400.000 B. in Thai account in deposit.

28.8. out - ok 

Laos / Myanmar / Cambodia - depends where you live - 

if you just want a Visa only - fly to Udon Thani - and on with Bus to Lao-Vientiane or with a Tour Nok Air and Lion Air? provide service

or go with Bus or to Mukdahan and on to Lao - Savannaketh 

If you want night fun and have more time -  go to Cambodia - Phnom Penh and go for a Tourist Visa and let a Visa Agent do the work.

Easy - you not even see the Thai Consulate yourself :smile:

Myanmar - no idea 

IMG_2771.JPG.c99de8258da4dad301ff9c83389

Edited by ALFREDO

12 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

The right Visa for you, would be a Non Immigrant O, good for 3 month - reason having a Thai child - if you to young or not retired.

Need, Birth certificate of child with your name as a father, House book where you stay with child, ID card from mother,

all in copy - but signed from mother. Relevant copies from your Passport.

2 photos from you, 

If its possible and not a financial burden - come with child or at least with mother to Thai Consulate - its not a must, but is good and can be helping.

With that Visa you can in TH then extend for 2 month for having a Thai child

or even for a year, if you have for 2 or 3? month 400.000 B. in Thai account in deposit.

28.8. out - ok 

Laos / Myanmar / Cambodia - depends where you live - 

if you just want a Visa only - fly to Udon Thani - and on with Bus to Lao-Vientiane or with a Tour Nok Air and Lion Air? provide service

or go with Bus or to Mukdahan and on to Lao - Savannaketh 

If you want night fun and have more time -  go to Cambodia - Phnom Penh and go for a Tourist Visa and let a Visa Agent do the work.

Easy - you not even see the Thai Consulate yourself :smile:

Myanmar - no idea 

ALFREDO, thanks for the reply and the links. The reason I need to do this tourist visa thing is that I have problems with the mother holding on to documents and refusing to cooperate. Wants more money etc. this will be handled by my lawyer but will take time. In the meantime I need something for the next 2-3 months so that I don't run the risk of overstaying.

I live in Bangkok. I am not looking for a fun night, I prefer something requiring the least time, hassle, cost. I was thinking Phnom Penh because I can just fly from Don Muang direct, get an agent to do it there, and return back in 3 days max. From the thread you included it sounds like this is still doable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rambling said:

The reason I need to do this tourist visa thing is that I have problems with the mother holding on to documents and refusing to cooperate.

I live in Bangkok. I am not looking for a fun night, I prefer something requiring the least time, hassle, cost. I was thinking Phnom Penh because I can just fly from Don Muang direct, get an agent to do it there, and return back in 3 days max. From the thread you included it sounds like this is still doable.

You welcome - yes PP should be still ok - in most Hotels receptionists know a Contact number for Visa agents - so in Flamingos Hotel.

Or in Travel Agencies.

Costs are possibly in Vientiane over all a little cheaper, flight to Udon cheaper and with Bus service to border or into Vientiane

Nok Air provides service others too?

BUT you have a waiting time in heat at Consulate - a bit when apply and when pick up too!

But not so big thing in low season  :smile:

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2017 at 5:20 PM, rambling said:

ALFREDO, thanks for the reply and the links. The reason I need to do this tourist visa thing is that I have problems with the mother holding on to documents and refusing to cooperate. Wants more money etc. this will be handled by my lawyer but will take time. In the meantime I need something for the next 2-3 months so that I don't run the risk of overstaying.

u can get a tourist visa in 1-3 days in PP via an agent ( $50-65)  Cambodian visa $30
u can also do it in Yangon  1 night only

air asia direct flights  ..Online Myanmar visa $50--https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm in similar situation unable to get my son to extend Non O in Thailand, but able to get signed copies from mother so looking for suitable options in the region e.g. KL, Soul, Taipei, HK, SIN etc?

90 day Single entry is OK & I should be able to thus extend in country next time :)

Thanks