Border Run Alternatives

39 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Why are they making it a  problem flying into Bangkok if you have to many stamps You are flying to another country are u not? Also Joe when u go for a non-immigrant visa O class in Vientiane for 3 months how much money do you need in the bank I know its 400,000 if you are married for 1 year but for 3 months i am not sure and just say i did fly domestic to Ubon Thani and crossed into Laos via bridge would the embassy in Vientiane  accept that as flight or class it as a land border crossing given the fact you are only allowed 2 land border  crossings  per year to renew your visa

I have not am not sure why they are making problems at the airports. It seems to be just a small group of officers making the problem since many people enter without a problem.

Vientiane does not ask for financial proof to get a single entry non-o visa based upon being married to a Thai. Same for a single or multiple entry non-o at Savannakhet.

There is no 2 entry restriction at land border crossings if you have a valid visa for entry. That is only for visa exempt entries at land border crossings and it is 2 per calendar year.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have not am not sure why they are making problems at the airports. It seems to be just a small group of officers making the problem since many people enter without a problem.

Because more 'visa runners' use the airports now than before when they mostly used the land borders. It's simply down to numbers. The more 'visa runners' use the airport the more reports we will get about problems. Most visitors don't have a problem because they are not trying to prolong their stay in the country as a 'tourist'. 

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have not am not sure why they are making problems at the airports. It seems to be just a small group of officers making the problem since many people enter without a problem.

Vientiane does not ask for financial proof to get a single entry non-o visa based upon being married to a Thai. Same for a single or multiple entry non-o at Savannakhet.

There is no 2 entry restriction at land border crossings if you have a valid visa for entry. That is only for visa exempt entries at land border crossings and it is 2 per calendar year.

Thanks Jo as usual that helped me a lot One last question  On a tourist visa how many times per year can you extend that visa by one month

15 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Thanks Jo as usual that helped me a lot One last question  On a tourist visa how many times per year can you extend that visa by one month

You can extend every 60 day entry from a tourist visa for 30 days at immigration. There is no limit on doing them.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
5 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

You can extend every 60 day entry from a tourist visa for 30 days at immigration. There is no limit on doing them.

Just to clarify, this means once per entry. That is you can enter on the tourist visa getting 60 days, and extend one time by a further 30 days. However, if you ask for a second extension on the same tourist entry, the extension will be denied, and you will be given seven days to leave the country. There is no limit to the number of 30-day extensions you can request as long as each is on a separate entry into Thailand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

for the 1st time in 9 years of non O visa (the Savannakhet Laos one)  i had a problem yesterday at the IN/OUT Poi Pet/Aranyapratet border. When back in Thai the immigration questioned my way to do. They made me take a seat. An officer made me some general questions about me my family my address (i guess he was just checking if the family was real) and then asked me to talk to wife. He said my wife that I have to stop doing this way and go Chang Wattana. 

Now my visa expires next february so my plan is to get a new passport and keep doing the IN/Out border run until next year.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

is this a worsening situation of PoiPet border only or is common in all check points thai borders?

Thanks for your time

Andrea

13 minutes ago, 72BKK said:

Yes but only at Poipet. Use a different crossing next time.

Ban Laem would be a better choice or the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing to Myanmar in Kanchanaburi province.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72BKK said:

is this a worsening situation of PoiPet border only or is common in all check points thai borders?

Yes. This situation is unique to the Aranyaprathet border. The bosses at that crossing do not want ‘some’ people using ME visas to live in the country. Use a different check point and you should be ok.

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2018 at 6:05 PM, ubonjoe said:

Yes but only at Poipet. Use a different crossing next time.

Ban Laem would be a better choice or the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing to Myanmar in Kanchanaburi province.

Is the ranong crossing to myanmar also ok for reseting a 3 month entry on a multi O visa from savannakhet?

I just bought Air Asia tickets for a RT to KL. I'll never leave the airport. The airfare is about two thousand baht. I expect to arrive back home twelve hours after I walk out the door for the airport. Quick, cheap, and convenient, though not overly adventurous.

The only question is: Will DMK airport link be open by the end of October?

Ranong sounds like a great idea for when I have a few days and the wife wants to get out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gunghang said:

The only question is: Will DMK airport link be open by the end of October?

It is long way from being opened. 

Easy way into town from DMK is the A1 airport bus (30 baht) to Mo Chit and then the BTS or MRT into town.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a multiple entry non imm "o" visa which I 1st used to enter LOS on the 24th May. I found out today, on visiting Samui imm., that I couldn't get an extension of more than 7 days (I have a flt to LHR on the 10th Sept) and I now need to do a border run. Most of the info that I've read, I now realise, was referring to Tourist visa extensions, which is one of the reasons that I didn't choose the Retirement option. Anyway, my question is; would the ferry and land crossing to Ranong be an option? Thanks for urgent replies.

21 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

Hi,

I have a multiple entry non imm "o" visa which I 1st used to enter LOS on the 24th May. I found out today, on visiting Samui imm., that I couldn't get an extension of more than 7 days (I have a flt to LHR on the 10th Sept) and I now need to do a border run. Most of the info that I've read, I now realise, was referring to Tourist visa extensions, which is one of the reasons that I didn't choose the Retirement option. Anyway, my question is; would the ferry and land crossing to Ranong be an option? Thanks for urgent replies.

If you have an unexpired multiple entry Non O visa, you should be able to get a fresh 90-day entry by doing a border bounce at Ranong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delgarcon said:

Hi,

Yes it is an option.

FYI. If you are the spouse or parent of a Thai you can get a 60 extension of stay at immigration. They don't aways offer that option.

11 hours ago, delgarcon said:

Thanks for your replies, anyone know who organises the run in KP? Mr Kim tells me he only offers one way!

KP?

I don't think you will anybody that does them from the islands. Perhaps only from Samui.

Is the Phu Nam Ron border checkpoint open without any problems?Due to take a mate on Sunday who has a multiple enter Non O issued at Savankhet.

Tried to call the guy who does it at the crossing for the last couple of days and straight to voicemail.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, jimbob333 said:

Is the Phu Nam Ron border checkpoint open without any problems?Due to take a mate on Sunday who has a multiple enter Non O issued at Savankhet.

Tried to call the guy who does it at the crossing for the last couple of days and straight to voicemail.

Cheers

Yes. My friend did the same there 2 days ago.

• Thanks 1

Just back from Mae Sot , my favorite crossing. Unexpectedly quiet and was out and back in a record 25 minutes with polite service both sides.

The road from Tak is still only 70  % complete but nothing too bad to negotiate.

What's the deal at Phu Nam Ron

now ? 

Three months ago only my passport made the crossing while I waited in Thailand. Strictly speaking illegal but this crossing changes its modus operandi so frequently that it's rare to make three visits without some change.

• Like 2

Hi,

I have a question regarding my daughter's 30-day tourist visa. She arrived with her bf from the UK on 8th August, but has a flight to Korea on 10th September, so this exceeds the 30-day visa. She is visiting me in Chiang Mai, so I figured that a road-trip up to the border would be a good idea to renew her 30-day visa, rather than do the visa extension at the immigration here.

They have a single entry visa, so I was told that the best option would be to go to the Laos-Thai Chiang Khong-Huay Xai Friendship Bridge (from Chiang Rai) and cross there, returning on the same day.

Hopefully, if this is OK then she will have the extra time to spend here.

Here's my actual question;...... After they go to Korea (for 1 week) they are returning again to Thailand to spend a week on one of the islands.... that means a third entry to the LOS between 8th August and 18th September..... Is this OK? Can anyone see any problems with this option or give any advice if there is a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by RabCNesbitt
Clarification of border crossing location

53 minutes ago, RabCNesbitt said:

Hi,

I have a question regarding my daughter's 30-day tourist visa. She arrived with her bf from the UK on 8th August, but has a flight to Korea on 10th September, so this exceeds the 30-day visa. She is visiting me in Chiang Mai, so I figured that a road-trip up to the border would be a good idea to renew her 30-day visa, rather than do the visa extension at the immigration here.

They have a single entry visa, so I was told that the best option would be to go to the Laos-Thai Chiang Khong-Huay Xai Friendship Bridge (from Chiang Rai) and cross there, returning on the same day.

Hopefully, if this is OK then she will have the extra time to spend here.

Here's my actual question;...... After they go to Korea (for 1 week) they are returning again to Thailand to spend a week on one of the islands.... that means a third entry to the LOS between 8th August and 18th September..... Is this OK? Can anyone see any problems with this option or give any advice if there is a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Your daughter has a 30 day visa exempt entry not a tourist visa.  IMO it would be best to apply for the 30 day extension.

Not sure why somebody told you to go to the Chiang Kong crossing to Laos where a visa on arrival is needed for a fee of $35 US or 1500 baht.. The Mae Sai crossing to Myanmar would be better since no visa is required and the fee for a border pass is only 500 baht.

It should not be a problem for them to get a 3rd visa exempt entry.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The Mae Sai crossing to Myanmar would be better since no visa is required and the fee for a border pass is only 500 baht.

Thanks for the rapid reply ubonjoe!

The only reason I didn't mention the Mae Sai crossing is because I appear to have been mis-informed about that crossing; I was told that only multiple-entry visas were allowed to cross and return there.

They would like to do the road trip for the 'tourist' locations to visit (Golden Triangle, White Temple etc.), so if there is no problem to return the same day via the Mae Sai crossing then I think that they can go there for 500B each.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, RabCNesbitt said:

The only reason I didn't mention the Mae Sai crossing is because I appear to have been mis-informed about that crossing; I was told that only multiple-entry visas were allowed to cross and return there.

That has been wrong info since January of last year. No problem for them to cross and get a new 30 day visa exempt when they re-enter the country.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello !

I don't know if this is the right place to ask my questions but here we go.. ?

Since March 2018, I already had 3 visa exemption (2 from Ranong immigration in Mars and May 2018 and another one from BKK in July) so i know it will be impossible to get another one until March 2019.

The thing is will get a work permit in 1 or 2 months, i am currently in Lao but i am tired of this place, do you think it is possible to do visa run (Phuket-Ranong) every weeks until i get my work permit ? I mean, how many 7-days stamp is it possible to get in a row ?

I have a french passport and i stay in Phuket btw.

Thank you !

3 minutes ago, 1ricardsvp said:

Hello !

I don't know if this is the right place to ask my questions but here we go.. ?

Since March 2018, I already had 3 visa exemption (2 from Ranong immigration in Mars and May 2018 and another one from BKK in July) so i know it will be impossible to get another one until March 2019.

The thing is will get a work permit in 1 or 2 months, i am currently in Lao but i am tired of this place, do you think it is possible to do visa run (Phuket-Ranong) every weeks until i get my work permit ? I mean, how many 7-days stamp is it possible to get in a row ?

I have a french passport and i stay in Phuket btw.

Thank you !

Fly into Swampy , get a 30 day visa exempt, extend that for 30 days and that should see you until you get your work "visa" .

Rules are , two land visa exempts per calendar year and unlimited at airports

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 1ricardsvp said:

Really ?? Unlimited ?? They almost refused it to me 2 years ago when i was back from KL..

You know i have many tourist visa in my passport, the last with a red stamp !

No it's not unlimited. It is correct to say there, unlike land entries, is no set limit but an IO has discretional power to deny entry to anyone with any number of visa exempt entries.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 1ricardsvp said:

Really ?? Unlimited ?? They almost refused it to me 2 years ago when i was back from KL..

You know i have many tourist visa in my passport, the last with a red stamp !

There is no written limit for visa exempt entries by air. 

You have used up the 2 visa exempt entries you can do at a land border crossing for this year.

You may be questioned what when you enter the country. Be prepared to show the equivalent of at least 10k baht (20k is better) and ticket out of the country within 30 days.

• Thanks 1