Border Run Alternatives

33 minutes ago, 1ricardsvp said:

Sorry for the noob questions but if i book a ticket online and show them is it enough ? Or do i need a printed ticket ?

I suggest you print out the confirmed e-ticket for your flight out. They prefer that to having to look at one on a phone.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No it's not unlimited. It is correct to say there, unlike land entries, is no set limit but an IO has discretional power to deny entry to anyone with any number of visa exempt entries.

IO have the power to deny anyone entry , as they see fit (often making up reasons).

After two land entries on VES (per calendar year) , another entry on a VES will be denied .

There are no such rules for airport entries , although entry isnt guaranteed , as usual, thats down to the discretion of the I.O .

So, airport VES are unlimited , just entry is at the discretion of the I.O.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sanemax said:

IO have the power to deny anyone entry , as they see fit (often making up reasons).

After two land entries on VES (per calendar year) , another entry on a VES will be denied .

There are no such rules for airport entries , although entry isnt guaranteed , as usual, thats down to the discretion of the I.O .

So, airport VES are unlimited , just entry is at the discretion of the I.O.

There is nothing written anywhere that says you have unlimited entries via the airport. The number of times you can enter is unspecified, not unlimited.

The IO’s are given discretionary power, therefore, they decide the limit on a case by case basis.

It is clearly wrong to claim entries are unlimited when there are many reports of people being stopped for making too many entries (spending too much time as a tourist). 

It is not the number of entries they are worried about at the airport, which is why there isn’t a set limit. It’s the time spent in the country as a tourist, which is why discretionary power is given to the IO’s.

Edited by elviajero

On 9/20/2018 at 8:46 AM, 1ricardsvp said:

Really ?? Unlimited ?? They almost refused it to me 2 years ago when i was back from KL..

The situation is very, very different than it was in 2016. I had the same hassle you mention, some resistance at BKK in Jan, 2017, then interrogation at DMK two months later.

The 2 land border visa exempt entries per calendar year policy was implemented in early 2017... it took a few months for extended stay folks to find out about it. I found out about it just after buying a one-way plane ticket to Bali that year.

DMK and BKK airports can be difficult points of visa-exempt entry into Thailand.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 3:46 PM, 1ricardsvp said:

Really ?? Unlimited ?? They almost refused it to me 2 years ago when i was back from KL..

You know i have many tourist visa in my passport, the last with a red stamp !

It is on a case-by-case basis.

Some tourists spend a few days per trip to buy things and then come back many times every month.

Some 'tourists' spend 30-60 days per trip and then come back a few days later.

So obviously, the second group is quite fishy and maybe working illegally in Thailand.  

It is at the discretion of immigration officer whether you are a real tourist or fake tourist.

• 3 weeks later...

I am due to reset a 90 day entry on a non O multiple entry visa soon. Previous trip I went to ranong which was smooth but would like to change scenery this time. Is the Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi also smooth? I am travelling from Hua hin.

By the way is there a link or list with all Thai border crossings listed? Could not find anything like this here

5 minutes ago, ELLHNAS said:

I am due to reset a 90 day entry on a non O multiple entry visa soon. Previous trip I went to ranong which was smooth but would like to change scenery this time. Is the Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi also smooth? I am travelling from Hua hin.

By the way is there a link or list with all Thai border crossings listed? Could not find anything like this here

The Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing is good for doing it. The fee is a total of 950 baht for transport across no mans land and back and that includes 500 baht baht for the Myanmar border pass.

I have seen no list of border crossings. 

• Thanks 1

hoyism I had no problems getting the visa in Vientiane, the problems happened going through Bkk International Airport passport control. I have had heard similar reports from people going through Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang. It seems flying into Bkk is now a no-no if you have previous stamps on your passport

If you have a new passport with no many Tourist-Visa-Stamps, it don't improve the situation. Every last Holiday-entry is in the COMPUTER. Happy new Electronic age.  The computer check automatic (and pip pip) and the officer will pick you out to talk behind. According a lady there, the computer check your entrys of the last 20 months (I had a nearly NEW passport at BKK and a proper Tourist Visa  but they pick me out to talk). First thy want see my old passport but I i say, I travel only with new passport. I think I was about 120 days in Thailand 1 year back with Tourist Visa. And now I have problems because I don't want to talk every times for nothing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 2:37 PM, ubonjoe said:

The Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing is good for doing it. The fee is a total of 950 baht for transport across no mans land and back and that includes 500 baht baht for the Myanmar border pass.

I have seen no list of border crossings. 

hi Ubonjoe

Myanmar border pass....do you mean there is no need to apply for a visa to Myanmar? 

I am planning to arrive at Khanchanaburi by train from Bangkok. Then where do I find this service you mentioned that with 950 baht does all the job?

thanks in advance

39 minutes ago, 72BKK said:

hi Ubonjoe

Myanmar border pass....do you mean there is no need to apply for a visa to Myanmar? 

I am planning to arrive at Khanchanaburi by train from Bangkok. Then where do I find this service you mentioned that with 950 baht does all the job?

thanks in advance

There is no need to apply for a visa for Myanmar to just cross the border and come back.

There is a office/booth just after departure immigration where you arrange for the trip across the border.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dean2926 said:

If I catch a bus from Vientiane and get a visa on arrival I get 30 days stay in Thailand.  Can this be extended at Jomtien for another 30 days the same as arrival by air?

You would get a 30 day visa exempt entry (a visa on arrival is only for 15 days if you qualified for one).

A 30 day visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days a immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

• Like 1

Just a quick question guys.
If I catch a bus from Vientiane and get a visa on arrival I get 30 days stay in Thailand.  Can this be extended at Jomtien for another 30 days the same as arrival by air?
Provided you've only done this once before, as you only have 2 VOA. You can extend for 30 days. I think, don't count me on that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no need to apply for a visa for Myanmar to just cross the border and come back.

There is a office/booth just after departure immigration where you arrange for the trip across the border.

thank you very much

do you know if from the Khanchanaburi train station there is a transportation service to reach the border? Or do I need to get to the Khanchanaburi bus station first?

sorry if i ask but i am arriving at 10.45 am and have to get the only available train for returning to bangkok at 2.45 pm. So I have 4 hours time to do everything. It should be enough time but honestly this is my 1st time

52 minutes ago, 72BKK said:

do you know if from the Khanchanaburi train station there is a transportation service to reach the border? Or do I need to get to the Khanchanaburi bus station first?

You need to catch a bus/van from the Kan bus station to get to the border.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, new to the forum and would like some advice...

I arrived in Thailand earlier in the year on a 60 day tourist visa.

Turns out I got my dates wrong so instead of extending it, I had to do a run to Myanmar via Kanchanaburi (due to Chang wattana being closed on the weekend). Not ideal, but no issues.

I then extended this (30 days) then went to Malaysia once the extension was up (by air), then again went to Myanmar and extended at immigration. These trips were all visa exempt entries and both Myanmar trips were by land.

Now... I've accepted a job here in Thailand and the company is applying for my work permit as of yesterday, however I will not receive the authorisation letter before my extension runs out again.

I've used both my land runs for the year and now need to do another visa run to buy me more time before I can apply for a business visa in Vientiane (once accepted for my work permit).

Does anyone think I'll have issues doing my next interim visa run? And also applying for the non-B visa in Vientiane? I do have a copy of my contract, if this might help. Any and all advice appreciated.

Sorry for the long post!

Sent from my FLA-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 hours ago, IronMan66 said:

Hey all, new to the forum and would like some advice...

I arrived in Thailand earlier in the year on a 60 day tourist visa.

Turns out I got my dates wrong so instead of extending it, I had to do a run to Myanmar via Kanchanaburi (due to Chang wattana being closed on the weekend). Not ideal, but no issues.

I then extended this (30 days) then went to Malaysia once the extension was up (by air), then again went to Myanmar and extended at immigration. These trips were all visa exempt entries and both Myanmar trips were by land.

Now... I've accepted a job here in Thailand and the company is applying for my work permit as of yesterday, however I will not receive the authorisation letter before my extension runs out again.

I've used both my land runs for the year and now need to do another visa run to buy me more time before I can apply for a business visa in Vientiane (once accepted for my work permit).

Does anyone think I'll have issues doing my next interim visa run? And also applying for the non-B visa in Vientiane? I do have a copy of my contract, if this might help. Any and all advice appreciated.

Sorry for the long post!

Applying for a tourist visa in Vientiane, and later getting the Non B in Vientiane seems like an excellent plan.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

Can someone tell me what I will need (besides passport) to fly to Kuala Lumpur and back over the weekend?

This will be my first "visa run". Need to extend my 30 day tourist. 

Or would I be better off just extending at the closest immigration office and saving KL for the next extension? I'm trying to stay until mid February.

3 hours ago, shootrrdave said:

Can someone tell me what I will need (besides passport) to fly to Kuala Lumpur and back over the weekend?

Or would I be better off just extending at the closest immigration office and saving KL for the next extension? I'm trying to stay until mid February.

As a general principle, I would advise minimizing visa exempt entries, even if you have spent little time here previously, because it may become a factor in the future. Thus, I would suggest an extension, or going somewhere for a tourist visa, over an in/out for another visa exempt entry.

That said, if you want to do the Kuala Lumpur run, the only important guideline is to have plenty of cash (minimum 20,000 baht equivalent) to show immigration on entry should they decide to be difficult.

Note that one option for a tourist visa is to apply in Kota Bharu on a Sunday, receiving the visa Monday afternoon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shootrrdave said:

Avoid “visa runs” as much as possible.

If you’re staying until Feb you’d be best advised to get a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) from a Thai embassy/consulate in a neighbouring country. That will give you 60 days on entry, which can be extended by 30 days if necessary.

If you don’t want to get a visa you should extend by 30 days at your local immigration office, and do the “visa run” after that.

You only need your passport for the visa run. However, having at least 10K in cash, a hotel booking, and an onward flight are good to have if questioned by immigration about your long term tourism.

Thanks for the the responses. Just wanted to play tourist for the weekend and get 30 more days in the process. 2 birds with 1 stone,  eh?

Here's my entire Thailand history thus far in case it makes any difference...

2014-2018, 3 weeks each April. 

Spent some time in Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia (twice). So 10 Thailand stamps total counting my current visit.

This time staying 4 months. Marriage test run with the girlfriend...????

No I didn't get any of the visa options before coming. Just showed up. I'm a wing-it kinda guy.

Please let me know if this changes your advice.

I still want to visit KL but have no problem waiting another 30 days. 

1 hour ago, shootrrdave said:

Thanks for the the responses. Just wanted to play tourist for the weekend and get 30 more days in the process. 2 birds with 1 stone,  eh?

Here's my entire Thailand history thus far in case it makes any difference...

2014-2018, 3 weeks each April. 

Spent some time in Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia (twice). So 10 Thailand stamps total counting my current visit.

This time staying 4 months. Marriage test run with the girlfriend...????

No I didn't get any of the visa options before coming. Just showed up. I'm a wing-it kinda guy.

Please let me know if this changes your advice.

I still want to visit KL but have no problem waiting another 30 days. 

I would suggest timing your visit to Kuala Lumpur in a way that allows you to apply for a tourist visa while there. You apply in the morning of one day and get the visa back in the afternoon of the following day. Obviously, this means going during the week, not at a weekend. Since the Thai consulate will want to see a ticket out of Thailand, going after extending your current visa exempt entry is probably best. You can then use your return ticket to home country to meet their requirement.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:49 PM, elviajero said:

It's open from 06:00 to 20:00 daily.

Thanks ; I got there around 9AM on Sat and all went smoothly but was a little different from my last time through. You now need to visit an agent before stamping out of Thailand - same fee and process but previously this function was handled by an agent near a small cafe after immigration. Not any more, it seems.

The new agent is down a small flight of stairs before Thai immigration booth - no signs and I wasted time lining up before being turned around by immigration to head back. You are then herded into minivans for the crossing and wait outside a makeshift duty-free shop while passports are taken into an office on the Myanmar side, then return in van to the Thai side.

Not sure if has previously been reported here.

A lot of construction in progress on the Myanmar side.

• Like 2