Border Run Alternatives

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am aware of it and considered it years ago shortly after it was first started . Looking recently it appears to still be a costly option if you use the card at a ATM here to get your money out.

Another problem is that it would be difficult to send the funds to qualify for the income option since it may difficult to get the proof the funds came from abroad.

Also one person who has was transfer his money to Bangkok Bank via their New Your branch which requires the IAT format now and direct express could not do them.

Good to know that about the Debit card.

In respect to the current direct-deposit method (via BBL/New York), I assume the IAT format issue has been resolved in time for the early-April direct-deposit transfer? I have been assured at a Chiang Mai BBL branch that this is the case.  Thanks.

14 minutes ago, PaulinSaphanKwai said:

In respect to the current direct-deposit method (via BBL/New York), I assume the IAT format issue has been resolved in time for the early-April direct-deposit transfer? I have been assured at a Chiang Mai BBL branch that this is the case. 

As far as I know that has not been resolved yet. The last I saw about it was that they were trying to to have it postponed.

Most SSA payment are being sent by the IAT format already. Those that are not being sent that way may not be accepted next month.

I have been informed by New York mine are coming in with the IAT format.

In Vientiane, Laos, just back from the consulate.

Said I had too many Tourist Visas in my passport (I have 4), and wanted a copy of my Thai Bank Card and pin number, and said I had to bring bank statements. I would have to write out a reason why I wanted another tourist visa. They asked if I had a Thai girlfriend(Just got one two weeks ago, told them I do now). Sometimes with immigration it's better if you don't have a girlfriend, I think in this case it would be better if I did have one, as in a thai dependant.

And they asked why I didn't get a retirement visa. That's because I'm 48.

Like a fool I went away and got a photocopy of my bank card but managed to wise up and get my passport and the photocopy of the bank card back off them. No, I didn't give them my pin number. ????

I get paid on the 22nd, they wanted me to leave my passport with them overnight but I can't provide juicy bank statements tomorrow anyway. The day after tomorrow sure.

Think I can get a visa exempt entry into Thailand over the Friendship Bridge, or I could just bugger off to Vietnam and Cambodia for a month or two. I packed and prepped for two months outside the country.

Actually quite keen to go to Vietnam, and I'm quite enjoying the hotel breakfasts. ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BahnTH said:

Said I had too many Tourist Visas in my passport (I have 4), and wanted a copy of my Thai Bank Card and pin number, and said I had to bring bank statements. I would have to write out a reason why I wanted another tourist visa

Did you already have the "This person travels frequently to Thailand on tourist visas ..." stamp in your passport?

If confirmed by other applicants, this is a major change, but possibly not a bad one. It may explain why they are limiting the number of applicants they allow. It gives them time to scrutinise applications more closely. It may mean that they will be willing to give more tourist visas than in the past if accompanied by suitable justifications and supporting documents.

• Like 1

Didn't see it, but I just found it now.

taeRz93.jpg

^^ There's the trouble maker. Time for a new passport.

I'm not super upset or anything, I'm really burnt out on Thailand, been here for the last 6 years. Vietnam is all new and exciting, I want to go there instead. And staying out of Thailand during the twin whammies of Songkran and the elections is also appealing.

Not decided what I'm doing yet. Direct flights out of Vientiane are limited.

But anyway, there's some confirmation. 4 Thai TRs in my passport since January 2018, 4th one in a row will get you the dreaded stamp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BahnTH said:

taeRz93.jpg

I'm not super upset or anything, I'm really burnt out on Thailand, been here for the last 6 years. Vietnam is all new and exciting, I want to go there instead. And staying out of Thailand during the twin whammies of Songkran and the elections is also appealing.

But anyway, there's some confirmation. 4 Thai TRs in my passport since January 2018, 4th one in a row will get you the dreaded stamp.

In that case, with that "remark stamp," I am surprised they would provide a TR Visa at all.  I have tried before - having bank-statement, rental-agreement, etc - "Sorry, with that remark, we cannot issue ..."  So maybe the limiting of applicants does have an upside.  All you have to do is show a bank-statement with 20K Baht (more is better) in it.

2 hours ago, BahnTH said:

wanted a copy of my Thai Bank Card and pin number,

That's crazy.  Front side of the card is not a big deal - assuming it is just to prove you have access to the bank-statement shown - but PIN? - forget it.  I think there was a miscommunication.

2 hours ago, BahnTH said:

Think I can get a visa exempt entry into Thailand over the Friendship Bridge, or I could just bugger off to Vietnam and Cambodia for a month or two. I packed and prepped for two months outside the country. 

Actually quite keen to go to Vietnam, and I'm quite enjoying the hotel breakfasts.

If you go elsewhere, then decide to come back, get a new passport while over there - will be devoid of any Thai history, so a good fresh start.  Also can watch what unfolds over here from a distance, and decide if the climate will make it worth even trying.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

That's crazy.  Front side of the card is not a big deal - assuming it is just to prove you have access to the bank-statement shown - but PIN? - forget it.  I think there was a miscommunication.

Yeah, there's a potential for thievery even without the pin, I don't have my bank book with me, but I'll go to the branch of my bank here and see if I can get a new bank card. Might be the best 100 Baht I ever spend. Better to be safe than sorry. Even if it's only a 10% chance.

Love everybody, serve everybody, trust only a few baby...

Edited by BahnTH

On 3/20/2019 at 11:43 AM, BritTim said:

Did you already have the "This person travels frequently to Thailand on tourist visas ..." stamp in your passport?

If confirmed by other applicants, this is a major change, but possibly not a bad one. It may explain why they are limiting the number of applicants they allow. It gives them time to scrutinise applications more closely. It may mean that they will be willing to give more tourist visas than in the past if accompanied by suitable justifications and supporting documents.

Given a closer scrutiny of tourist visa applications, is there a sense among the more Senior Members that the Thai Emb/Vientiane is moving toward a uniform requirement for 20K and air tickets?

If so, are Tourist Visa holders being asked to show their 20K and air tickets to IO when they cross the bridge to Nong Khai as well?

Paul

47 minutes ago, PaulinSaphanKwai said:

Given a closer scrutiny of tourist visa applications, is there a sense among the more Senior Members that the Thai Emb/Vientiane is moving toward a uniform requirement for 20K and air tickets?

If so, are Tourist Visa holders being asked to show their 20K and air tickets to IO when they cross the bridge to Nong Khai as well?

Paul

Not yet. It should be noted that there is little evidence to go on about what they will do with applicants with warning stamps (who in the past would simply have been turned away without discussion). However, there appear to be no new requirements being imposed on those without the warning stamp.

I'm thinking of entering Thailand via the Laos border on a visa-exemption (no tourist visa) - which would be my first time of a border entry. Any reports on "failures" on this setup? I don't have that "This person travels frequently to Thailand on tourist visas ..."-stamp on my last SETV. 

1 hour ago, aldriglikvid said:

I'm thinking of entering Thailand via the Laos border on a visa-exemption (no tourist visa) - which would be my first time of a border entry. Any reports on "failures" on this setup? I don't have that "This person travels frequently to Thailand on tourist visas ..."-stamp on my last SETV. 

There are no reports of problems using visa exempt entries at any of the border crossings from Laos.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2019 at 11:57 AM, BahnTH said:

taeRz93.jpg

I lived in Thailand about 6 years altogether, too, including Jan-Feb of this year. Now in Quy Nhon from the beginning of March. Different set of problems in Vietnam; different crazy way of driving, but I am making a go at it. 

Subscribed to two ex-patriot forums here.

So, you are welcome to get in touch with me if you want to give Vietnam a try.

Just a quick word of caution...if you are applying for a visa at the Thai consulate in Vientiane you must book on line in advance and print out the confirmation page, or show it on your smart phone on entry. All days are booked full well into April. In addition the website was down for nearly a week earlier this month... According to the Consul they are limiting the visas to 300 or less each day. Makes for a very frustrating experience if you need to apply for any visa at the Consulate in Vientiane! Best of luck!

• Like 1

February report from land boarder Thai / Myanmar in Myawadi / Mae Sot.  No problem. Nice and quickly.  SETV in Yangon very easy. Just give them documents (outwards tickets, but not financial proof) and everything fine. No question about more things. Next working day I got a visa. It was my second SETV, but first in Asia. One year living in Asia in this time. 

Edited by DannyP
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 4:22 PM, bkkgourmet said:

Just a quick word of caution...if you are applying for a visa at the Thai consulate in Vientiane you must book on line in advance and print out the confirmation page, or show it on your smart phone on entry. All days are booked full well into April. In addition the website was down for nearly a week earlier this month... According to the Consul they are limiting the visas to 300 or less each day. Makes for a very frustrating experience if you need to apply for any visa at the Consulate in Vientiane! Best of luck!

on another note, booking ahead is now a good possibility as the system has been adjusted to allow only real bookings, as of this morning you could book 17th, 18th, even 19th, 22nd, 23rd, 24th n 25 April. 

Just got back from Mae Sot

Despite Prayuths opening ceremony the new bridge is not open to traffic yet. The old crossing was crazy busy will lorries backed up almost to the airport. Took 30 minutes to get to the car park from the airport.

Once on foot I was at the end of a queue of 20 people and decided to take a picture of the crowds.

Oooops , no pictures allowed and an immigration officer got me to delete pictures ( never heard of cloud ). This proved lucky as he pulled me from the long queue to get me stamped and out. Glad but guilty to be a queue jumper because it was hotter than he'll, 40 degrees plus.

By the time I walked over and back was soaked in sweat. Never had that before.

Re entry no problem and was glad to get back to the car , wack on the air, and change clothes.

The road to Tak is now almost 95 percent complete so no more rough parts to negotiate.

There continue to be variances among the regional Thai Embassies/Consulates.

DannyP reports this for SETV in Yangon: Outbound tickets, Yes; Financials, No.

20 hours ago, DannyP said:

February report from land boarder Thai / Myanmar in Myawadi / Mae Sot.  No problem. Nice and quickly.  SETV in Yangon very easy. Just give them documents (outwards tickets, but not financial proof) and everything fine. No question about more things. Next working day I got a visa. It was my second SETV, but first in Asia. One year living in Asia in this time. 

Vientiane's new Thai Embassy website, with its online booking system, reveals this [if I am reading it correctly]:

--Single-entry Visa: Evidence of THB 20,000 cash required
--No mention, however, of outbound air-ticket.

Any recent reports on what is required in Vientiane? 

Paul

1 hour ago, PaulinSaphanKwai said:

Any recent reports on what is required in Vientiane? 

The are not asking for financial proof or tickets out.

The info on the appointments site appears to be a copy and paste from some other website. Just ignore it.

• Thanks 1

I have returned from Savannakhet after successfully getting the ME marriage Visa. Went well except for the re-entry into Thailand has left me a little confused. They did not give me a new 90 day report, which means I have to do a 90 day report in 2 weeks, because that's when my old marriage Visa would have expired. Additionally, my new TM 6 card says "Admitted until 25 June".

My questions are;

1. Last year when I left Thailand and came back I got a new 90 day card. Why didn't I get a new 90 day report?

2. Can/Do I do it Online?

3. I thought the new Visa requiring me to report every 90 days would negate the 90 day report, so do I still have to do both?

Does Anybody know what I should do? Thanks for any advice.

Thank you everyone for your answers concerning my new ME Type 'O' Visa. 1 more thing that I have plenty of time for is  my extension (90 days). Does anyone know if I can do it at the Chong Chom, or Sa Ngam border crossings. They are both within an hour of me, so would be quite convenient.

33 minutes ago, teetersb said:

Thank you everyone for your answers concerning my new ME Type 'O' Visa. 1 more thing that I have plenty of time for is  my extension (90 days). Does anyone know if I can do it at the Chong Chom, or Sa Ngam border crossings. They are both within an hour of me, so would be quite convenient.

No problem at those crossings.

Poi Pet is the only crossing you should avoid.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2019 at 8:40 AM, Denim said:

Just got back from Mae Sot

Despite Prayuths opening ceremony the new bridge is not open to traffic yet. The old crossing was crazy busy will lorries backed up almost to the airport. Took 30 minutes to get to the car park from the airport. 

Once on foot I was at the end of a queue of 20 people and decided to take a picture of the crowds. 

Oooops , no pictures allowed and an immigration officer got me to delete pictures ( never heard of cloud ). This proved lucky as he pulled me from the long queue to get me stamped and out. Glad but guilty to be a queue jumper because it was hotter than he'll, 40 degrees plus. 

By the time I walked over and back was soaked in sweat. Never had that before.

Re entry no problem and was glad to get back to the car , wack on the air, and change clothes.

The road to Tak is now almost 95 percent complete so no more rough parts to negotiate.

Yes it's ridiculous that they haven't opened that bridge yet. Already the other day they again held a meeting between local Thai and Myanmar officials in the middle of the bridge to talk about the forest burning issue. Seems they built the bridge for this purpose now Songkran is coming and I expect it will take 2-3 hours to cross the bridge during the busy periods.

Officials at Mae Sot are generally very relaxed with things and taking pictures in front of the building, or underneath the roof has never been a problem but I am generally not one to make things obvious by pulling out a big camera and spending 5 minutes adjusting my lens, that makes them suspicious. Instead, I discreetly pull out my phone and take a quick snap. When i drive myself across the bridge on day visits, I take many pics from my car which is no problem either.

Unlike most other foreign travelers to Mae Sot, I ALWAYS cross the bridge by car. Haven't walked across in years. If coming on a day trip, that means MY car. If on a visa, I organize a Myanmar driver to take me across (often it's the same guy who takes me around the country). Since I have a lot of luggage, I can't imagine lugging it across the bridge in 40 degree heat while slamming it into the throngs of Myanmar workers and occasional Chinese online gamblers, who never arrive with any luggage. I solve that problem by putting the luggage in a car, getting my passport stamped, then the car picks me up from inside the bridge, drives me across, passport stamped on Myanmar side, then back in the car (or exchange money first at one of the many money changers near the bridge). Usually drivers can take you across the bridge for 300-400 Baht. Well worth it in my opinion although this may sound "expensive" to the many cheap foreigners who travel to and live in Thailand. Occasionally it's free or cheaper if you join a vehicle with passengers in it already.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:41 PM, ubonjoe said:

No problem at those crossings.

Poi Pet is the only crossing you should avoid. 

Poipet is absolutely OK if you have a ME entry visa of any kind, particularly a non-B or non-O. I would advise to avoid Poipet only if arriving on visa exempt (except if you arrive on one of the international buses between Bangkok and Cambodia). However, because of all the traffic and long distance between the Thai and Cambodian posts, Poipet is not ideal from that angle either. The other crossings like Sa Ngam and Chong Chom are better. Ban Pakkard is OK too but they are a bit too regimented. Ban Pakkard is one to avoid for Vietnamese, who get asked tons of questions (as happened to my friend recently) Ok for westerners though.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2019 at 5:45 AM, BritTim said:

You get a visa on arrival at the border. Make sure you have clean US dollar bills to pay the $30 cost.  There is no reason to pay extra for the visa provided you have US currency plus a photo.

You do not reach Ban Laem by train. You can use a visa run company (minibus) or (cheaper) go by public transport. At the time I did it, I took a comfortable bus to Chanthaburi and a minibus from there to the border. According to some, there are direct minibuses from Pattaya.

By Cambodian law, you are supposed to stay the night in Cambodia when entering by land (exception being if you have a multiple entry business visa). The officials may want a special payment for a same day return. If you need to pay it, 200 baht should be sufficient. However, if they ask for 300 baht, it may just be easiest to pay up. 

Obligatory warning: do not make the mistake of thinking Poipet/Aranyaprathet is an easier journey. That is the only land crossing from Thailand that should be avoided like the plague. 

Leaving Thailand it's absolutely no problem. Coming back ONLY if you have no recent visa free entries and are returning on the international bus or by car. Or better still, you have a visa of some sort (preferably not a tourist visa). ME visas are absolutely fine - never any issues for me there but I haven't held a tourist visa or visa waiver in years.

21 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Poipet is absolutely OK if you have a ME entry visa of any kind, particularly a non-B or non-O.

It's not if trying to do a border hop to extend a stay. There have been several reports of Aranya immigration refusing them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1