Border Run Alternatives

On 8/30/2019 at 11:09 AM, Exilerunner said:

I need to go south for a day. As a long stayer on tourist visa, I struggle with my re entry point. Padang seems not that good right now. Thinking about Sadao vs Sungai Kolok. Also is 20k Baht cash in foreign currency fine too?

20k in foreign currency is fine. Are you planning to leave and immediately reenter on an METV? Are you looking for a visa exempt entry? If a visa exempt entry, you will likely need to stay in Malaysia for one night, and you are subject to the limit of two visa exempt entries by land in a calendar year. Based on recent reports, either Sadao or Sungai Kolok should be OK. Those two crossings are very far from each other, and you should choose the one which is closer to wherever in the South you will be staying.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:49 PM, acenase said:

I recently went to Savannakhet for the FIRST time in July and they warned me about the being in Thailand for 6 months. They counted my previous visas I had from different embassies, issued me the visa but stamped this Remark in my passport.

I want to go to Yangon to get 1 more Tourist Visa, but am I risking getting my application denied there because of this stamp? Or if I just cross the stamp out like this, they won't be able to read it, so if Yangon don't care to count how many different tourist visas I have in my passport, then I guess this gives me better odds compared to them being able to read the warning and then deny my application based on the stamp alone.

I am avoiding airport entry at this point so Yangon seems to  be my only option for one last tourist visa and land border entry since I already been to Vientiane and Savannakhet.

2019-08-29 14.44.00.jpg

crazy man drawing on the passport LOL, i dont know if that will go over well. 

Im basically in the exact same situation as you, long term tourist with a heavily used passport and a remark from savannakhet.

Edited by at15
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, at15 said:

crazy man drawing on the passport LOL, i dont know if that will go over well. 

Im basically in the exact same situation as you, long term tourist with a heavily used passport and a remark from savannakhet.

Savannakhet has changed in the last few months (such as Vientiane) both considered to be the two easiest consulates to go to are now becoming the most strict. 

I decided to go to Savannakhet a few months ago, because I thought you could get at least 2 back-to-back visas before they stamp this "REMARK", no one predicted that they would stamp the warning by counting previous Visas from different consulates especially since this was my first time there.

That's why I am not sure which consulate I can go to that won't care about how many previous Visas I have. Worst case scenario, I could get a brand new passport and go back to Savannakhet. But I still have many pages in my passport and not in a rush to get a new passport for just 1 last tourist visa before I go back to my homecountry.  I'm going to try my luck with Yangon since I've never been there before I just hope they don't count my previous visas and deny my application. It just seems like getting a new passport would be better since the Visa to go to Myanmar is $50 plus transportation, I could just pay $100 for a new passport and go back to Savannakhet actually and not have to worry about anything lol.

I've read that if I will go to Savannakhet by myself I'll be probably denied. How about the agencies? Can you guys recommend any agency which would surely get a 2 months tourist Visa in Vientiane? I'll go to Vietnam if there aren't any worth recommending with 100% visas applications being granted. I don't want to be denied. I spent almost 3 months in Thailand this year.

Edited by Reese12

Hey everyone! I´m Brazilian and when I entered Thailand I was granted a 90 days stay due to a bilateral agreement TH - BR. I extended my stay at Chiang Mai immigration office for the allowed period that is 7 days. I have until 6 of september and I don´t know what to do. I thought about doing a border run and crossing through Mae Sai to Tachilek and back but for what I heard it´s very likely that they wont allow me to cross the border. I heard about this other alternative that is going to Chiang Khong and crossing to Huay Xai but I fear I will have the same problem. Can anyone confirm if it is really not possible to cross to Tachilek and which would be the best option on my case? In Theory they would have to give me 90 days more. How is the situation at the borders? I dont have much time left and I am super lost. 

I have crossed the border at Mae Sai/Tachilek both this year and last year - wasnt any problem at all. 

But then again Im norwegian and both times I was in Thailand on a 30 days visa excemption. It might be different for you but I wouldnt think so...

2 hours ago, Clara Rodrigues said:

Hey everyone! I´m Brazilian and when I entered Thailand I was granted a 90 days stay due to a bilateral agreement TH - BR. I extended my stay at Chiang Mai immigration office for the allowed period that is 7 days. I have until 6 of september and I don´t know what to do. I thought about doing a border run and crossing through Mae Sai to Tachilek and back but for what I heard it´s very likely that they wont allow me to cross the border. I heard about this other alternative that is going to Chiang Khong and crossing to Huay Xai but I fear I will have the same problem. Can anyone confirm if it is really not possible to cross to Tachilek and which would be the best option on my case? In Theory they would have to give me 90 days more. How is the situation at the borders? I dont have much time left and I am super lost. 

Staying extended periods on tourist entries is becoming tricky. I would suggest calling the visa run companies to see if there are crossings that would give you an entry under bilateral agreement. Ban Phu Nam Ron is possible, as Thai/Myanmar immigration split about 500 baht on each border bounce (you are charged 960 baht for a US$10 border pass plus travel across no-man's land that should be 100 baht at most). Maesot is very friendly and might be willing.

27 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Staying extended periods on tourist entries is becoming tricky. I would suggest calling the visa run companies to see if there are crossings that would give you an entry under bilateral agreement. Ban Phu Nam Ron is possible, as Thai/Myanmar immigration split about 500 baht on each border bounce (you are charged 960 baht for a US$10 border pass plus travel across no-man's land that should be 100 baht at most). Maesot is very friendly and might be willing.

Yes, that is what everyone has been telling me. That is getting tougher to cross specially if you have already been in the country as a tourist for a while. The immigration company don´t know anything, they say its most likely they wont let me cross but at the same time they say ¨yeah, there were people that were able to do it, but they had to insist a lot¨, no one can give me guarantees, thats the final conclusion. That place you mentioned is at the south, i am up north, in Chiang Mai. Mae Sot is already a bit better, but entering through which city? 

10 hours ago, Clara Rodrigues said:

Mae Sot is already a bit better, but entering through which city? 

Maesot is a long bus ride from Chiang Mai (about 12-13 hours as I recall). Unfortunately, you can only fly to Maesot via Don Muang, so it is not cheap. Further, although generally an easy going crossing, I cannot guarantee you would get a visa exempt entry there.

Unless you can find a visa run company that is confident you can get a visa exempt entry by land under bilateral agreement, I would suggest you look into going to a consulate for an actual tourist visa. Vientiane requires appointments now. You could check to see if they have appointment slots open for this Friday (September 6). Otherwise, options that come to mind are Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur or Yangon.

On 9/2/2019 at 3:18 PM, Clara Rodrigues said:

Yes, that is what everyone has been telling me. That is getting tougher to cross specially if you have already been in the country as a tourist for a while. The immigration company don´t know anything, they say its most likely they wont let me cross but at the same time they say ¨yeah, there were people that were able to do it, but they had to insist a lot¨, no one can give me guarantees, thats the final conclusion. That place you mentioned is at the south, i am up north, in Chiang Mai. Mae Sot is already a bit better, but entering through which city? 

there will never be a guarantee. always have a backup plan in mind. 

On 9/1/2019 at 9:49 PM, Reese12 said:

I've read that if I will go to Savannakhet by myself I'll be probably denied. How about the agencies? Can you guys recommend any agency which would surely get a 2 months tourist Visa in Vientiane? I'll go to Vietnam if there aren't any worth recommending with 100% visas applications being granted. I don't want to be denied. I spent almost 3 months in Thailand this year.

The reason people have been going to Savannakhet or Vientiane is because IF they get approved for the Visa, they are pretty much guaranteed to use it through Land Border without having anxiety that they will get denied entry.

Going to other countries such as Vietnam, Bali, etc where you have to fly out to get a Visa and fly back in.  The problem is coming back into Bangkok through Airport, where right now is the most strict as far as crackdowns happening.

You have only 3 months of history in Thailand, so I think you should be good. Seeing as the people that are being denied entry at airports have 6 months or more history in Thailand!

Edited by acenase

8 hours ago, Reese12 said:

3 months this year. 5 months 2018, in previous passport 1 month 2017, 4 months 2016

If you get a visa, immigration will surely leave you alone. Unfortunately, Savannakhet has suddenly become a terrible consulate to apply for a tourist visa as they are desperately trying to deter the huge number of applicants that they have been swamped with since the limits on applicants in Vientiane. It would really be better if you applied for the visa in Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur or Yangon. I think, in your case, entering by air with a visa will be OK. A visa exempt entry by air would likely also be OK, but not risk free.

I have two months tourist visa. I will extend it next week. My intention is to stay long. I will not stay in one place, so I can not produce an electricity bill etc. I will move between guesthouses. I am 50+. I have the required money in a Thai bank. Carry passport from northern Europe, EU.

I was in the same situation 3-4 years ago. I could then get a one year ("non immigrant"?) visa through an agency in Pattaya. The fees were high as I remember.

Is all this still the same? To get a one year stay I must go through an agency?

Thanks for keeping this thread running.

Edited by thailandsgreat

2 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

Is all this still the same? To get a one year stay I must go through an agency?

No need to go through an agency if you meet all the requirements.

You can do a change of visa status at immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry and then a one year extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

For the visa application you need 800k baht in a Thain bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income.

Then for the extension the 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 2 months on the date your apply.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No need to go through an agency if you meet all the requirements.

You can do a change of visa status at immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry and then a one year extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

For the visa application you need 800k baht in a Thain bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income.

Then for the extension the 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 2 months on the date your apply.

Thanks.

I am now 40 days in the country and will extend tourist visa in a small southern place next week. When I get into my last 30 of the 90 days total I will try to apply for the non-O you describe.

I had thought my application for non-O would fail since I stay in different guesthouses and can  not show an electricity or water  bill.

Thanks ubonjoe, many of us owe you a lot for keeping this up. I appreciate!

Edited by thailandsgreat

1 hour ago, thailandsgreat said:

Thanks.

I am now 40 days in the country and will extend tourist visa in a small southern place next week. When I get into my last 30 of the 90 days total I will try to apply for the non-O you describe.

I had thought my application for non-O would fail since I stay in different guesthouses and can  not show an electricity or water  bill.

Thanks ubonjoe, many of us owe you a lot for keeping this up. I appreciate!

The lack of a long term rental agreement (or similar proof of residence) can, indeed, be an issue. A friend applying in Bangkok, while staying in a hotel, stated that he was still looking for a permanent place to stay, staying in hotels in the meantime, and this was accepted. You will need some luck.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:
The lack of a long term rental agreement (or similar proof of residence) can, indeed, be an issue. A friend applying in Bangkok, while staying in a hotel, stated that he was still looking for a permanent place to stay, staying in hotels in the meantime, and this was accepted. You will need some luck.

Thank you. Good idea. I remember some time ago, asking hotels if I could pay my electricity separately or similar arrangement. But they don't do that.

---

If I would succeed in getting the non-O, they would probably have the same requirement every 90-day check (which naturally would have to be done at that same immigration office). If I would stay in a guesthouse far from here I can probably do a free of charge visa run instead, every 90 days, only paying for visa to Burma etc. Doing visa run instead I wouldn't need the proof of permanent residence EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST TIME, when I apply for the visa, unless they waiver it.

Thanks a lot for your replies here. I will try to post what happened.

Update on Sungai Kolok: Did try out Sungai Kolok border since I had  a meeting down south. Long train ride from BKK, little walk to border (you can fresh up and eat at Doi Chaang Cafe (wifi), which you will pass half way). Walk across bridge (5 min) then you can either take a bus (city liner 29) or taxi (30 min, 30 MYR) to Pasir Mas to jump on the train to Singapore. On my way back same thing and like @baboon said the IO asked me also about my METV like it may not be real. However, he was very nice - so was I and I also believe it is a good idea to clean up when we enter especially when all parties know we are staying longer. Something to consider I stayed a few days out before coming back! The soldiers in the thai train BTW after Yala station as well as the locals are very friendly. Never had a feeling to be uncomfortable but then I feel 'here' more home then anywhere else in the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exilerunner said:

Update on Sungai Kolok: Did try out Sungai Kolok border since I had  a meeting down south. Long train ride from BKK, little walk to border (you can fresh up and eat at Doi Chaang Cafe (wifi), which you will pass half way). Walk across bridge (5 min) then you can either take a bus (city liner 29) or taxi (30 min, 30 MYR) to Pasir Mas to jump on the train to Singapore. On my way back same thing and like @baboon said the IO asked me also about my METV like it may not be real. However, he was very nice - so was I and I also believe it is a good idea to clean up when we enter especially when all parties know we are staying longer. Something to consider I stayed a few days out before coming back! The soldiers in the thai train BTW after Yala station as well as the locals are very friendly. Never had a feeling to be uncomfortable but then I feel 'here' more home then anywhere else in the world.

Chap with a flat top and glasses? Did you notice anyone else having a bit of a difficult time of it?

Edited by baboon

I got my 2-months tourist visa in Hanoi. I'm going to stay another 3 months in Thailand. I'm going to get non-b. He said it's the last visa he could give to me - I got my last 2 months Visa from there as well. There is a small x written by black pen over my visa. Would I get another 2 months tourist visa from another embassy - Saigon, Kuala or Yangon if I would want it or is it too much and this x makes it impossible?

2 hours ago, Reese12 said:

I got my 2-months tourist visa in Hanoi. I'm going to stay another 3 months in Thailand. I'm going to get non-b. He said it's the last visa he could give to me - I got my last 2 months Visa from there as well. There is a small x written by black pen over my visa. Would I get another 2 months tourist visa from another embassy - Saigon, Kuala or Yangon if I would want it or is it too much and this x makes it impossible?

I do not think that small written x will affect visa applications other than in Hanoi, and possible Ho Chi Minh City. The real issue is that all nearby consulates seem to be becoming stricter about issuing tourist visas. In the past, I would have said Yangon would give you one. Also, Kuala Lumpur if you do not have previous tourist visas from there. In the current environment, all bets are off. You should have a plan B for what you will do if your visa application is denied. You should also be aware of the risks at Immigration when entering Thailand at many airports, even with a valid visa.

Hello Everybody! I’m looking for cheap border run alternatives. Seeking this forum for suggestions.

My situation now:

I’m changing job, moving from Bangkok to Khao Lak. I’m on non B visa ( Extension of stay 1 year)

I will work untill 15 October than exit the country and planning to come back with a 1 month visa exemption. 

I’m trying to save as much money as possible. In Khao Lak I will have room and food and fast conversion to a non b visa.

My budget is about 10.000 bht

My idea: take special express BKK to Pedang Besar, Sleep somewhere and next day train to Hat Yai, Bus to Phuket, Bus to Khao Lak.

The flights at the moment are more expensive for those days.

I will get day off on my last day s so that after work permit and visa cancellation I should have enough time to leave the country before the midnight of the 15/10.

Thank you all for futures answers.

1 hour ago, David90 said:

Hello Everybody! I’m looking for cheap border run alternatives. Seeking this forum for suggestions.

My situation now:

I’m changing job, moving from Bangkok to Khao Lak. I’m on non B visa ( Extension of stay 1 year)

I will work untill 15 October than exit the country and planning to come back with a 1 month visa exemption. 

I’m trying to save as much money as possible. In Khao Lak I will have room and food and fast conversion to a non b visa.

My budget is about 10.000 bht

My idea: take special express BKK to Pedang Besar, Sleep somewhere and next day train to Hat Yai, Bus to Phuket, Bus to Khao Lak.

The flights at the moment are more expensive for those days.

I will get day off on my last day s so that after work permit and visa cancellation I should have enough time to leave the country before the midnight of the 15/10.

Thank you all for futures answers.

Your plan is OK, though immigration at Pedang Besar is reported to have become strict. Another option would be a bus from Khao Lak to Ranong, border bounce there (US$10 for the border pass) and return. No need for an overnight stay. If still in Bangkok, the run to Ban Phun Nam Ron would make sense. If planning a border bounce on the way from Bangkok to Kha0 Lak, I would definitely suggest using Ranong rather than going all the way to Malaysia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2015 at 5:43 PM, ubonjoe said:

No where is going to to be close by.

Mae Sot is the closest I think. After that perhaps Rangoon.

The quickest would be to arrange a flight form Bangkok to one of places mentioned in the topic.

There is also the train sooth to Hat Yai..and then Pedang Baser.

Wouldn't Ranong be the closest option from Hua Hin?

• Thanks 1