ED Extension of Stay Procedure at Jomtien Immigration Office

From what I have heard recently this matches up completely. Several of my fellow students were in for extensions about a week ago and they have added a few new hoops to jump through proving where you live.

I bet it is turning up a lot of landlords for them to fine for not properly reporting a falang living on their property.

Edited by Furryman

From what I have heard recently this matches up completely. Several of my fellow students were in for extensions about a week ago and they have added a few new hoops to jump through proving where you live.

I bet it is turning up a lot of landlords for them to fine for not properly reporting a falang living on their property.

And succeeding in identifying the "real" students who do attend classes?

Time for an update to my update:

I went to immigration today with all of my paperwork and my friend in tow. I was able to use her as my reference, but they did ask her questions like how long she had known me, if she knew my address and phone number, how we met, etc. I've known her well for about two years, so none of it was a problem for her. She was not asked to show id, but she did have to give them her name and cell phone number as a reference on the paperwork.

Also, you'll need an extra 300 baht (no receipt) for the first guy that goes through your paperwork and signs off on it. He is the one that will talk to your friend or condo owner. Then, you go through the normal procedure at desk 6 and pay 1900 baht for the extension. I go back tomorrow to pick up my passport with my 15 day under consideration stamp.

I've had one person tell me that there is an interview to assess your Thai skills when you go back for the remaining 75 day stamp, but I don't know anything about it or what they ask you. I'll report back when I get to that point.

• Like 1

I went to immigration today with all of my paperwork and my friend in tow. I was able to use her as my reference, but they did ask her questions like how long she had known me, if she knew my address and phone number, how we met, etc. I've known her well for about two years, so none of it was a problem for her. She was not asked to show id, but she did have to give them her name and cell phone number as a reference on the paperwork.

Also, you'll need an extra 300 baht (no receipt) for the first guy that goes through your paperwork and signs off on it. He is the one that will talk to your friend or condo owner. Then, you go through the normal procedure at desk 6 and pay 1900 baht for the extension. I go back tomorrow to pick up my passport with my 15 day under consideration stamp.

I've had one person tell me that there is an interview to assess your Thai skills when you go back for the remaining 75 day stamp, but I don't know anything about it or what they ask you. I'll report back when I get to that point.

This is madness.

What if you cant find an available friend or landlord to spend the best part of the day at immigration?

Also going 3 times (pay+ pickup passport+ come back for test and 75 days) is crazy

• Like 1

This is madness.

What if you cant find an available friend or landlord to spend the best part of the day at immigration?

Also going 3 times (pay+ pickup passport+ come back for test and 75 days) is crazy

I'm guessing you either find someone or you don't get your extension. And it might be four trips to immigration. I may have to go back the day after the interview to pick up my passport. I'm not sure about that, though.

And they still extort money, 300 baht to pay for the interviewer is just ridiculous. Hopefully people will switch to the new 6 month tourist visa and dump this ED visa. Less money on their piggy little pockets.

They do make a copy of all of the pages of your paperwork, so it's possible that part of the 300 baht is to cover that. I don't really know and asking for an explanation before I get my full 90 days worth of stamps seemed... unwise.

• Like 1

And they still extort money, 300 baht to pay for the interviewer is just ridiculous. Hopefully people will switch to the new 6 month tourist visa and dump this ED visa. Less money on their piggy little pockets.

They do make a copy of all of the pages of your paperwork, so it's possible that part of the 300 baht is to cover that. I don't really know and asking for an explanation before I get my full 90 days worth of stamps seemed... unwise.

In a shop it's 1 to 2 Baht per photocopy

Do your own and do ask for receipt its day light robbery

I dont think the tourist visa will solve anything, rather the opposite

i talked to a reputable school and they are holding off on ED Visas for now (I used them in the past, was smooth). They know the headache is crazy......

i think TR Multiple is better anyhow......2x = 6 months with 2 extensions. Take 3-4 thai classes, learn a little thai, relax.

i used to really want to stay 1 year on my next visit......my expectation has gone down to about 4-6 months and I'm OK with that...

i'm not going to fight the madness anymore......

it's time to see a lot more of Asia....

What do you mean by "holding off"?

i talked to a reputable school and they are holding off on ED Visas for now (I used them in the past, was smooth). They know the headache is crazy......

i think TR Multiple is better anyhow......2x = 6 months with 2 extensions. Take 3-4 thai classes, learn a little thai, relax.

i used to really want to stay 1 year on my next visit......my expectation has gone down to about 4-6 months and I'm OK with that...

they are not offering the ED Visa I asked about. But it's my understanding they will offer the ED Visa in the future. However, I'm not holding my breath. Personally, I remember the rules of really never missing class. i think i missed 1 in 6 months. on a TR visa I can have less stress. I'm sure I won't miss more than 3, but i like to travel when the whim strikes.

they are not offering the ED Visa I asked about. But it's my understanding they will offer the ED Visa in the future. However, I'm not holding my breath. Personally, I remember the rules of really never missing class. i think i missed 1 in 6 months. on a TR visa I can have less stress. I'm sure I won't miss more than 3, but i like to travel when the whim strikes.

How do they keep afloat without students?

Not everybody goes to school just to get a visa and extension of stay. Some just want to learn Thai.

You can attend school with any type of visa or extension of stay.

Class hours and fees are more flexible if are not looking for a visa.

• Like 2

Not everybody goes to school just to get a visa and extension of stay. Some just want to learn Thai.

When was the last time you went to a language school?

How is that question relevant to my reply?

I was just stating facts that I am aware of.

How is that question relevant to my reply?

I was just stating facts that I am aware of.

You describe the students in language schools, so I wonder which school you have been, because in the school that I have been (not visa mills) I certainly did not see many students studying Thai without ED visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Final update: I went to immigration today to get my remaining 75 day stamp. They sent me straight back to desk 6 (no number slip) and I gave the lady my passport. She said to come back at after 1:00 to pick it up, so I killed a couple of hours at the mall and came back. Picked up my passport and walked right back out. No interview, no quizzing in Thai, no waiting, nothing.

So there you go. How to get an ED extension of stay in Jomtien from start to finish. biggrin.png

So that's 2200 THB, 4 trips to immigration, one of them with landlord/friend, for 3 months extension correct?

Correct. Oh, and no immigration officers ever showed up to check on me at the school during my 15 day under consideration period. That's not to say they won't do random checks for others, I just wasn't one that they chose to look in on.

So that's 2200 THB, 4 trips to immigration, one of them with landlord/friend, for 3 months extension correct?

Correct. Oh, and no immigration officers ever showed up to check on me at the school during my 15 day under consideration period. That's not to say they won't do random checks for others, I just wasn't one that they chose to look in on.

And in your school, no one minds having to go through all that ordeal?

Well, it's not like we're all jumping for joy. It's a right PITA. But, if you want to stay, you have to play along and do it this way. Until they change it. Again. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Well, it's not like we're all jumping for joy. It's a right PITA. But, if you want to stay, you have to play along and do it this way. Until they change it. Again. rolleyes.gif

Pardon my French but they have you by the short and curlies.

Amazing what people are ready to do to study Thai lol !

And there are people still signing up, fully aware of these palavers ?

Pardon my French but they have you by the short and curlies.

Amazing what people are ready to do to study Thai lol !

And there are people still signing up, fully aware of these palavers ?

Oh, yes. We usually have a least one person come to observe each class to see if he wants to sign up. And they're always down at the registration desk right after class filling out the paperwork.

I do love our teacher. She's really good and has a fantastic sense of humor. It's a lot easier to learn the language when you enjoy the class.

I meant people aware of the all palaver to get extensions...

They do sign up?

Yep. There are signs on every entrance and in every classroom that spell out the requirements for extensions of stay. You can't miss them. That's how I knew about the changes before I went to immigration this time. And people still sign up.

From all indications, once you get your address confirmed once, they aren't going to have to do it every time.

Yeah, 4 days a week is a bit of a pain, but it's better than being stuck back in Falangistan. At least it was for me.

Luckily I just turned 50, so now I can relax and enjoy the use of my knowledge of the Thai language.