ED visa: how long are people staying in Thailand?

After the 1.5 years basic course, then advanced course taking you up to 2.5 years, is that the end of the line Ed visa wise?

Or no defined limit to how long you can study, if you say switch to learning Japanese, or switch school? Pending extensions being approved by immigration that is.

Or no clear info on stays past 2.5 years yet?

Edited by jspill

If you changed to another language or some other type of study than language you could stay longer.

It has not been long enough for anybody to confirm the 2.5 years. That is based upon 5 years at 200 hours of study per year verses the 400 now needed..

• Like 1

Not in Bangkok and not if you want 3 months extension.

There is only one school left teaching Thai and that now gets you 3 months in BKK.

And if you are coming with a previous ED visa, you need to wait 2 years before they let you enroll.

No wonder reading all these posts that ed visas has contributed to thai immigration looking more closely. For years this has been subject to abuse.

I would love an honest straw pole on folk with ed visa...

Ticking one of two boxes

1. I wish to learn thai.

2. I want a method to stay here a long time.

No wonder reading all these posts that ed visas has contributed to thai immigration looking more closely. For years this has been subject to abuse.

Ticking one of two boxes

1. I wish to learn thai.

Sorry, I can click BOTH boxes. i did a 6-month ED Visa and only missed one day (we met 5 days a week, 2 hours a day).

I had two classes, one with 12 people (only 60% were regular) and one with 5 people (4 people almost never missed).

and yes, i wanted to stay longer than a few months....

maybe your definition of long-time is one year.... i would do a year.

• Like 1

Ticking one of two boxes

1. I wish to learn thai.

Sorry, I can click BOTH boxes. i did a 6-month ED Visa and only missed one day (we met 5 days a week, 2 hours a day).

I had two classes, one with 12 people (only 60% were regular) and one with 5 people (4 people almost never missed).

Sorry but from a historic perspective you would be one of the few.

The ED visa was seen by many as an easy option to stay in the country. Most had no intention of attending class or learning to speak/read Thai.

• Like 1

Ticking one of two boxes

1. I wish to learn thai.

The ED visa was seen by many as an easy option to stay in the country. Most had no intention of attending class or learning to speak/read Thai.

Which history is that?

You never went to a Thai school.

you are just repeating hearsay.

• Like 1

Ticking one of two boxes

1. I wish to learn thai.

Which history is that?

You never went to a Thai school.

you are just repeating hearsay.

No one's business, but since your asking the questions. How long have you been living in LOS learning a useless language. Well not true. Very useful if someone had plans of maybe applying that difficult skill towards actually applying for a work visa here. Geezuz what would be that percentage ? I'm thinking < 1%

Fess up. You working or still looking to do another course

jacksam

Being able to speak Thai is a useful skill if one lives or works here.

At one time, where I live, many Thai language "students" were to be found not in schools but working as Timeshare touts.

Thankfully the combined efforts of the police and immigration has succeeded in removing them.

Strangely it also appears that the "visa mill" schools have disappeared.

• Like 1

jacksam
Being able to speak Thai is a useful skill if one lives or works here.
At one time, where I live, many Thai language "students" were to be found not in schools but working as Timeshare touts.
Thankfully the combined efforts of the police and immigration has succeeded in removing them.
Strangely it also appears that the "visa mill" schools have disappeared.

Learning Thai is definitely very useful if you live in Thailand.

But why would you need an ED visa to study Thai, if you are living in Thailand?

The Thai language schools are (were) open to anyone, regardless of your their visa status. You could study if you are married, retired, working in Thailand, or even just as a tourist.

However, the ED visa was these schools' main attraction, and 90%+ of the their students enrolled mainly for the visa.

I think you will find that the number of schools and students has been greatly reduced once the ED visa regulations have been changed for the worse.

• Like 1

The ED visas were one of the few ways some one under 50 years old could stay long term..

Sure the ED visas were abused..Thai immigration forced people to abuse the ED visas

by leaving the unmarried,non working,non super rich,under 50 very few choices for long stays...

The ED visa crackdown started about the time of the back to back double tourist visa crackdown.

Both of these crackdowns together have made Thailand visa hell for those under 50 who

want a long stay in Thailand...

If your under 50 years old and not rich your not wanted in Thailand other than for a short

holiday...

Those ED visas supported a lot of Thai people who worked at the schools..

The ED visa is so screwed up now I think people have better odds being a visa

runner....

• Like 2

Thai immigration forced people to abuse the ED visas by leaving the unmarried,non working,non super rich,under 50 very few choices for long stays...

If your under 50 years old and not rich your not wanted in Thailand other than for a short

holiday...

Immigration didn't force anything. They provided a visa option that agents/schools abused to get their clients long term stays. And now the small percentage of genuine students are suffering.

It's not a case of not being wanted. They control everyone, even those with extensions of stay can only get 1 year. The under 50's are welcome but controlled even more by limiting their stays and making them regularly re-apply for visas.