E-Channel for Permanent Residents

Any PR try to get a Patient card at a government hospital with expired re-entry permits? OMG, I thought they were going to arrest me. They kept talking about the Immigration Police and I said us, I want to see them. Finally, my Dr. who speaks English understood it and things went smoother after that.

He said its kind of an opposite document. You get the re-entry permit to go out first and then re-enter within one year. He is a brilliant man and they understood it then.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If you go through the entrance to the Premium Lane (in between the 2 main immigration halls) there is an Immigration office on the right hand side before the counters. That is where I applied.
Make sure you have the name, address and ID card number of a Thai guarantor (no idea why that is required). You also need at least 6 months remaining on your current re-entry.

And lf you don't have a re-entry permit which PR's are not required to have?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Permanent Residency
With it there is no need for extensions, 90 day reports and etc.

Ubonjoe, the problem I seem to run into is with no re-entry permits, pretty much every Thai (except the Immigration Police) think you are in the country illegally. I really wish some of the seniors would make it known that there is such a thing as a PR and what is needed and not needed. Yesterday, trying to register at a government hospital was a nightmare.

32 minutes ago, Old Man River said:

Ubonjoe, the problem I seem to run into is with no re-entry permits, pretty much every Thai (except the Immigration Police) think you are in the country illegally. I really wish some of the seniors would make it known that there is such a thing as a PR and what is needed and not needed. Yesterday, trying to register at a government hospital was a nightmare.

Show them your pink ID card. Problem solved. Works all the time.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:00 PM, onthemoon said:

A few days ago, I went (again) to the counter at Suvarnabhumi and told them that I have a new passport and need to update my auto-channel registration. Upon seeing the new German passport, they advised that the system cannot read it, I'll have to wait for an update. Same answer as a few months ago.

I went to the PR counters at CW recently to get my yearly stamps and mentioned that the new German passport cannot be read by the auto-channel machines for whatever reason. The lady I talked to hadn't been aware of it.

I am also going to contact the German embassy. I don't know whether they can help, but at least they should be aware of it.

If other people also mention this to the PR counters at CW and to the embassy, maybe someone will bring it up with the government. Let's get a ball rolling. If we do not create awareness, nothing will happen.

Hopefully 'getting the ball rolling' would also mean that the uto-challem readers are installed at all the other international airports in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

Successfully registered for the auto-channel today prior to departing Suvarnabhumi. My first attempt one year ago failed due to "the computers being down". The immigration counter is on "the other side" but the attendants at the auto gate let me through to fill out the form. Required an ID card photocopy of a Thai referee. Took less than 30 minutes and once completed I officially passed immigration through the auto channel. No stamps and I was told no need for the departure/arrival card. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 11:59 AM, BKKBike09 said:

^ as per my post from December 2017 I successfully (but not without hassle) renewed my registration in latter part off last year.

However, in February this year I had to get a new passport (old one full) and at the same time changed the blue PR book to the white one, since the blue one was also full. I thought it would simple to update my e-channel registration but turns out something has gone wrong somewhere and now, despite 4 attempts at the airport, 2 visits to CW and 2 to the computer division at Suan Phlu, my registration no longer works and there's no sign of them being able to get it fixed. I've asked several times for my e-channel registration to be erased and the details re-eneterd from scratch, but apparently no-one at CW, Suan Phlu or the airport has the ability to do this ...

I've been given various explanations as to why it's not working, none of which have any obvious solution. In fact, a couple of weeks back, after having been told that "it should work now", it transpired that not only does it not work, but now when my passport is scanned by the IO at a manned desk, the record that comes up doesn't properly tally with the passport in some manner, so I'm either pulled off to one side or it takes them 5 minutes to sort it out ...

On my last trip back in I was told by an IO that there had been a software change of some sort back in February and that, since then, the e-channel system for foreigners has been very erratic and that it's also affecting some Singaporeans who have registered (since Singaporean tourist visitors are able to register). I've no way of knowing whether this is true (the software change) but the timing makes sense.

I refuse to go to the back of the queue seeing as how I re-registered for a further two years only months ago, so I have adopted the approach of trying to use the e-channel each time and then, when it doesn't work, using one of the priority or similar manned desks.

It's a monumental PITA.

Hi BKKBike,

Has there been any progress with this? My situation is very similar to yours.

10 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Hi BKKBike,

Has there been any progress with this? My situation is very similar to yours.

What country passports do you carry?

The auto-channel software (or hardware?) cannot read the new German passport (confirmed again two weeks ago, as they actually tried to register me). I haven't heard about problems with other passports.

16 hours ago, onthemoon said:

What country passports do you carry?

The auto-channel software (or hardware?) cannot read the new German passport (confirmed again two weeks ago, as they actually tried to register me). I haven't heard about problems with other passports.

British passport. 

I tried to register again a week or so back. No joy. This time they did get as far as printing me out a new sticker for my passport (didn't get that far on any previous occasions) but the gates still couldn't read the passport. They helpfully printed me off some screenshots from the immigration system showing what seems to be the issue. It's a long story but the essence is there are records for both my old blue PR book and my current white one, and the numbers are mixed up. Immigration at SVB can't fix this; has to be CW. I knew about this issue from previous visits to CW but thought it had been fixed. Apparently not, so I will try and find time to go back to CW next week. Ho hum.

10 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

British passport. 

I tried to register again a week or so back. No joy. This time they did get as far as printing me out a new sticker for my passport (didn't get that far on any previous occasions) but the gates still couldn't read the passport. They helpfully printed me off some screenshots from the immigration system showing what seems to be the issue. It's a long story but the essence is there are records for both my old blue PR book and my current white one, and the numbers are mixed up. Immigration at SVB can't fix this; has to be CW. I knew about this issue from previous visits to CW but thought it had been fixed. Apparently not, so I will try and find time to go back to CW next week. Ho hum.

Wow, so this is a software problem. I hope they can actually fix it in CW and then you can use the auto channel. Looking forward to your update in due course.

Does anybody else who carries a passport other than the new German one have problems?

Thanks for your report. It appears the IT contractor is really not up to the task they got the contract for.

I'm going to contact CW next week what or so to ask their plan is to fix this. They cannot just say that the contractor doesn't do their job and then shrug their shoulders.

On 10/13/2018 at 2:33 PM, thedemon said:

Probably I'll keep hassling immigration at the airport - just for a bit of sport.

Good on you mate. Me too! You have to love the "will it, won't it" anticipation as each new set of people diligently tries to help. At least they're trying, bless them. All the folk I've dealt with at the airport, CW, Suan Plu have been very friendly. The CW ones know that I've applied for Thai citizenship and last time they were joking that I'll probably get that before the e-gate issue is sorted ...

Perhaps we can get 'Big Joke' on the case. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a permanent resident - UK passport holder - and just renewed my e-channel/e-gate access at Suvarnabhumi this morning as I was leaving (25 October). The autoChannel sticker had expired (after 2 years), and I'd got a new passport.

It was very quick - took about 10-15 mins - and all they needed was the new and old passports and my permanent residents book and I had to stand in front of their special camera. Tested straight after and worked fine.

18 hours ago, Haddo said:

I'm a permanent resident - UK passport holder - and just renewed my e-channel/e-gate access at Suvarnabhumi this morning as I was leaving (25 October). The autoChannel sticker had expired (after 2 years), and I'd got a new passport.

It was very quick - took about 10-15 mins - and all they needed was the new and old passports and my permanent residents book and I had to stand in front of their special camera. Tested straight after and worked fine.

Good to hear. That's how it should be.

21 hours ago, Haddo said:

My 2 year renewal also worked initially but registering my new passport didn't. As near as I can tell, it is registering both a new PR (blue/white) book and passport that the system can't handle. At the airport, immigration say that it is CW that needs to modify whatever needs modifying.

I also had my photo taken again by the special camera. It was night time and the special camera's flash wasn't bright enough. I had to hold my own phone selfie style so that the flashlight could illuminate my face sufficiently to take the photo. 

Anyway great that it is working for you. Thanks for the update.

• 5 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Where exactly at Suvannaphum airport is the registration desk; holding PR with all the papers 

You can register at either departures or arrivals.

At departures it is the counter with a seating area immediately past the immigration booths. The same general area where overstay fines are paid.

At arrivals head towards the Premium immigration hall. That is the one with a yellow/gold archway in between the 2 main halls. Go through the entrance and just before you reach the booths there is an immigration office on the right hand side.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

So I tried this on return to Suvarnabhumi. And the kind gentleman at the immigration booth for Thai passports told me there is no such thing and that it only applies to passports from Hong Kong and Singapore.

Anyone else tried this?

I was in a hurry on the way out of the country from being stuck in the queue forever, so I only managed to ask the immigration information counter after passing the check already - and the ladies there told me the same - Hong Kong and Singapore only.

But those already have ability to go to the eChannel anyway.

Is there any official information available for this? Something I can show to Swampy immigration next time they tell me it's not applicable to me? That's while holding my PR blue book in their hands...

I think you may have been unlucky to get the wrong officer or maybe you were asking at the wrong place. I am on my second renewal and have never had that happen. 

At departures go to the counter directly after the immigration booths, where overstay fines are paid. At arrivals go to the office which is in the premium immigration hall which is in between the 2 main halls.

In case it happens again, here is a scan of the sticker in my passport. Maybe you can print that out and say you want one of those.

Autochannel.jpg.e544601ec1add0d1a93deb59079a5cd2.jpg

I would concur with previous post and probably you were unlucky in that the person(s) were not familiar with autochannel for PR holders and did not direct you to someone who was. It has been available for much longer than for holders of passports from HK and Singapore (also I think that there may be separate gates for these passport holders).

When I originally registered for autochannel and recently renewed it, I passed Immigration at TG Fast Track and then went to the counter mentioned. The staff that dealt with me knew exactly what to do and were very professional, knowedgeable and quick.

I think if you take a copy of the photo sent by previous poster you should have no problems.

• 1 month later...
Hi have been having the same issue with my new German passport as well since Oct last year. System cannot read the data page when trying to set up new PP.  Also being told that SW update is "coming" since then.

Very frustrating especially that at the manned IO stations there are no more queues for "Thai passports only"  when leaving. When arriving I ALWAYS go to the right for VIP, BIZ class, special needs.  Never got any questions or problems doing that

I have now gotten new white book aka residence certificate, re-entry permit and endorsement with same German passport.

Does anybody know if the problem of echannel SW not being able to read latest German Passport data page has been fixed?

I am so looking forward to being able to re-register to go through E gates at BKK (after being able to with previous passport)