What kind of expat are you? Perhaps a not-an-expat expat?

Jingthing

How does one quantify this? I am not a citizen of the country where I was born and raised. I even need a visa to visit there which at the moment I do not have. I carry two other country's passports, one of which I visit for a month or two every summer, and the other I have only visited 3x and haven't been there in about 10 or more years. And I'm an official resident in a 4th country, but spend most of my time in Thailand as a tourist. Is there a label for this type of expat?

Jingthing is of course an Eaterpat- and long may he continue to help his fellow eaterpats to boldly go and explore new restaurants and new cuisines across the final frontier that we know as Thailand.

in my [not so] humble opinion Jinthing belongs to the rare species "gourmet-gourmand-pats" (American spelling: "goremay-goremaan-pat") laugh.png

Well...what about ex-pats who used to be named Patrick or Patricia? The Ex-Patrick/Ex-Patricia Ex-Pat... I mean, don't they mean anything to anyone any more?

both Patrick and Patricia who converted to Islam are now "Ex-Pats"... i think crazy.gif

How does one quantify this? I am not a citizen of the country where I was born and raised. I even need a visa to visit there which at the moment I do not have. I carry two other country's passports, one of which I visit for a month or two every summer, and the other I have only visited 3x and haven't been there in about 10 or more years. And I'm an official resident in a 4th country, but spend most of my time in Thailand as a tourist. Is there a label for this type of expat?

you are a "hybrid³-pat". as simple as that unsure.png

I have had a fascination with the world's peoples, culture, food, exotic animals, and scenery...since childhood...used to take one of those large basketball sized world globes...spin it around and stick my finger on the globe to make it stop spinning...wherever my finger rested on the globe I would seek information and dream of being there and experiencing the people and culture...very entertaining...

So...when offered the opportunity to work internationally...I jumped at the chance...soaking up every moment as a priceless adventure...

I am older and more settled now...yet have some of the most wonderful memories possible... smile.png

Never really understood the term "ExPat"...what is it...Ex patriot?...I don't see myself as Ex anything...just a living being breathing the air around me.

Ex patriate; a person who leaves their home to live somewhere else. If you go back to where you came from then you are are a re patriate.

I married my wife here in 1968. I knew most of the folks in her village and we all got along good. We went back to America where we got jobs and raised a family and then retired. During that time we both kept the notion of settling back down here near her village. We've built a small but nice home on a half rai near the rice fields and jungle. Its peaceful and she has friends and family. I joined the expat club just to keep abreast of events. We love the slow pace and we can do things at our leisure. I don't feel like an expat per se as living here to me is just as normal as in America. It wasn't too hard to adapt to the lack of regulations and red tape here. We like it.

One doesn't quantify it, does one? Because Quantifying is related to numerical characteristics. Qualifying is related to non numerical characteristics.

And yes there is a label for this type of expat: The "narcissistic" or "vain" expat. Can be easily identified by their boasting about something they deem to be of important but is inconsequential to everyone listening.

A guy on another forum called folk like me an 'Isaan refugee', well, this fat bloke thought cos I have to watch the pennies I am some sort of low life, WHEN I know his mum bolsters his life...Hmmm.

We have one life, forget about the zillion virgins waiting for you up there, in fact I don't want a zillion virgins at all...facepalm.gif

We do what we want in life, we have one life, look back at our failures, sit back and wonder about it in thought..Well I do...laugh.png

Are you Muslim ? They seem to be a bit obsessed with sex- bit of an odd analogy.

No you are not a low life- the life in Isaan is brilliant for some and purgatory for others- take no notice.

Actually I rather like chubby men !

An expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of their citizenship. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland").

Hah!

Someone's been reading wiki..........smile.png