Getting Banned - Not Thaivisa

Jersey_UK

I guess I am not exactly the only person who has now and again :o got banned from a forum on the internet, usually never bothers me, but this time it did :D

But the good news is that:-

Your account has been banned or locked.

You are going to be unbanned in 3 minutes and 19 seconds.

Ban reason: Obscene post

It wasn't THAT obscene (honest :D ), but sometimes when being a member of several forums it can be hard to remember the level of "humour" / argument that is acceptable :D

But I have been "a good boy" on Thaivisa, cos I can't afford to be banned from the Visa info!............but I HAVE been oh so sorely tempted more than a few times to post a few "blunt" replies :D:D:D

I guess I am not exactly the only person who has now and again :o got banned from a forum on the internet, usually never bothers me, but this time it did :D

But the good news is that:-

Your account has been banned or locked.

You are going to be unbanned in 3 minutes and 19 seconds.

Ban reason: Obscene post

It wasn't THAT obscene (honest :D ), but sometimes when being a member of several forums it can be hard to remember the level of "humour" / argument that is acceptable :D

But I have been "a good boy" on Thaivisa, cos I can't afford to be banned from the Visa info!............but I HAVE been oh so sorely tempted more than a few times to post a few "blunt" replies :D:D:D

For how long were you banned?

Why do forums all seem to ban people? Are they required to do so by governments?

Are there any forums which DON'T ban anyone, no matter what? If so, what country are they located in?

I don't know why there couldn't be a forum which didn't ban anyone - where free speech was absolute. I suppose it would be good to let users block out posters they didn't like, and that would act as a sort of natural moderation. In other words, if I found a certain poster annoying or offensive, I could block him out so I wouldn't see his posts anymore, but everyone else would still be able to, unless they blocked him, etc.

Wouldn't this be a better system? I mean, I understand that "in real life" there are some limits on free speech, like the classic example "you can't yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater just for the fun of it, because you're gonna hurt other people", etc.

But on the internet? If we don't have free speech here, it really feels like we just don't have it at all.

Edited by Little_Buddy

Why do forums all seem to ban people? Are they required to do so by governments?

Are there any forums which DON'T ban anyone, no matter what? If so, what country are they located in?

I don't know why there couldn't be a forum which didn't ban anyone - where free speech was absolute. I suppose it would be good to let users block out posters they didn't like, and that would act as a sort of natural moderation. In other words, if I found a certain poster annoying or offensive, I could block him out so I wouldn't see his posts anymore, but everyone else would still be able to, unless they blocked him, etc.

Wouldn't this be a better system? I mean, I understand that "in real life" there are some limits on free speech, like the classic example "you can't yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater just for the fun of it, because you're gonna hurt other people", etc.

But on the internet? If we don't have free speech here, it really feels like we just don't have it at all.

A Thai site probably is not the place for you to hang around. Good Luck.

You can of course set up your own site on ANY topic ... or no topic ... and run it the way you want!

Edited by jdinasia

What if posters are slaging racist remarks, advertising in every post, making demeaning sexual comments etc. Ofcourse there needs to be rules :o

Yes, they usually last about three months before they self-destruct in great clouds of bile and rancour.

Yes, they usually last about three months before they self-destruct in great clouds of bile and rancour.

SCT is still there if you want to see un-moderation in action, it's called anarchy.

Hello Everyone

I signed onto the Visa forum to see what was happening because I wasnt sure about the accuracy of the press reports in Europe.

A lot of the postinsg over the last few days that have rasied questions about the Coup have been deleated by the forum adminastrators - but none that critisize Thaksin have been deleated.

Shouldn't the forum adminastrators be neutral as another member called Maizefarmer asked in an earlier posting today?

He asked some very valid questions in a constructive way: he asked the forum adminastrators why they allowed the forum to be used one way, but not the other. Now all his contributions have dissappeared. And there are a lot of other members contributions which have dissappeared for similar reasons.

I think the forum adminastrators must come clean with its members.

Are the forum adminstrators neutral and if so they should not allow only one type of political opinion to be expressed. They should permitt both critism and compliment from both sides to be expressed.

Or they should not allow any political comment to be expressed at all, but the ThaiVisa Forum should not be run as a mouthpiece for only one side of the story as it appears to have been to date - unless it makes a clear statement that that is the objective.

Now com'on ThaiVisa Forum, make it clear where you stand on the matter.

Are you neutral or are you a mouthpiece for only one side of the story?

Cutprice

Tim is back fast .........

Tim ... they are doing what the LAW requires to NOT be a banned site in Thailand.

<There is no law requiring silence/non-criticism of Thaksin ... there IS a law requiring just that about the CDRM

Edited by jdinasia

Now com'on ThaiVisa Forum, make it clear where you stand on the matter.

Are you neutral or are you a mouthpiece for only one side of the story?

Cutprice

I have pasted the recent update to the forum rules below.

It is advisable to read the forum rules when joining any forum.

Have a read and it should answer your question. If you have difficulty in understanding the paragraph below please pm me.

If your first post is to question the integrity of this website then perhaps you should question your choice of website.

:o

NOTE TO OUR MEMBERS:

All media was today 2006-09-21 ordered by ICT to exercise censorship of any news critical of the coup-makers and the new military regime. Offenders face up to six months in jail, a fine of up to Bt10,000, or both.

This also prohibit Thaivisa to publish such content. We kindly ask our members to refrain from posting sensitive political content. We reserve the rights to delete content that could be dangerous for the operation of our website. We have to do a bit of self-censorship here so we don't get into trouble. Thanks for your understanding.

Thats fine Admin3, have no issue with the law and by the way Jdinasia, and CutPrice is not Maizefarmer and I am not critising either side, but I do see his point and like most he says it is a valid point.

The adminastrators were quite right to acknowledge the ICT restrictions, that was never Maizefarmers issue. And if you read his contributions before they were deleated, you will note that he respected that.

His issue was that the forum admin had 2 options, and the option they chose presented them to any serious enquirer as a biased platform.

The preferable option he suggested was that Admin should have adopted a neutral stance and not permitted the subject to be discussed, commented or debated at all from either side.

And for that he never got a straight answer and he was banned when he pushed for a straight answer. The guy made a valuble and constructive contribution to the forum on many subjects.

Cutprice

aka Maize farmer - identical IP addresses.

Thats fine Admin3, have no issue with the law and by the way Jdinasia, and CutPrice is not Maizefarmer and I am not critising either side, but I do see his point and like most he says it is a valid point.

The adminastrators were quite right to acknowledge the ICT restrictions, that was never Maizefarmers issue. And if you read his contributions before they were deleated, you will note that he respected that.

His issue was that the forum admin had 2 options, and the option they chose presented them to any serious enquirer as a biased platform.

The preferable option he suggested was that Admin should have adopted a neutral stance and not permitted the subject to be discussed, commented or debated at all from either side.

And for that he never got a straight answer and he was banned when he pushed for a straight answer. The guy made a valuble and constructive contribution to the forum on many subjects.

Cutprice

Unfortunately your are breaking another of Thai visa's laws , you are a previously banned member -Maizefarmer and have come back under a new nickname ( yet same IP address )

I am closing this thread. But not deleting it, as a lesson to those who think having 2 nicknames is a cool thing.

Cut price has been reduced.

Cutprice

Unfortunately your are breaking another of Thai visa's laws , you are a previously banned member -Maizefarmer and have come back under a new nickname ( yet same IP address )

I am closing this thread. But not deleting it, as a lesson to those who think having 2 nicknames is a cool thing.

Cut price has been reduced.

Cutprice has been duly promoted to glory.