Red Meat Other Than Pork

lotus eater

I’m shortly moving to Chiang Mai. My experience elsewhere in Thailand is that the 99% of the red meat available at a butcher or open market is pork – beef seems the rarely available 1%. (Restaurants or cooked products of course are a different matter.) Plenty of cows and even goats in the countryside – herds often being walked across fields or along roads - the sole purpose for rearing them I presume is meat, not dairy. Is fresh beef and goat meat readily available in Chiang Mai? Dare I ask about other meats like venison? Or game?

Can I find non-battery chicken or eggs?

Organic vegetables?

I do have a car, and if necessary I’d be prepared to go to the source – in the countryside if necessary.

Would appreciate any information on any of these queries. Thanks a lot.

bhc

game meat (generally wild pig) shows up in any of the open markets sporadically and is of generally high quality and generally higher price. vegetables are everywhere, as in every part of thailand. 'organic' seems somewhat redundant, based on the sporadic use of pesticides everywhere here, but if you look, you can probably find something that is certified organic at lotus or carrefour. beef is usually available from large stores, but also somewhat expensive. I haven't looked for goat, so i can't comment about this. eggs are available everywhere and are cheap, if you want to get 'non battery' eggs, just find somebody who has some chickens and arrange to buy some eggs form them every day or every other day. you can even probably convince them to deliver.

as for any other game, it depends on who you know. I've eaten a good deal of small game, but this is solely through my connections with the hill tribes. Lisu in particular seem to have a taste for squirrels, if it's in your palatte. also snake isn't uncommon, and a good deal of seafood and freshwater fish and crabs are available, all generally organic, very fresh, and very tasty.

Organic vegetables?

I have been told by a friend who runs a restuarant that the vegetables here are not "organic" in the way that we would expect at home, so they call them "biological" as the whole cycle has not been controlled

At the top of Suthep Road just as you pass through the intersection over the canal (will make sense when you here) there is a shop called the Royal Project, its run in conjunction with the University. There you will find vegtables which are as organic as possible, the best I have found so far.

Its a small place but once you dont go at the end of the day you can get most things, opens from 8 - 6

Its very well hidden with no signs, in a white building that looks like an office, slightly off the road. As a landmark it right beside the police station

Edited by Remo

goat, deer, wild boar, lamb, frog, crocodile, rabbit, ostrich meats all available in Macro at the super highway. i cook wild boar quite a bit and the prices are a bargain even when compared to the local markets. nicely vacumn packed.

its where they sell frozen meat near the milk, cheese, butter side.

Rimping & Tops supermarkets have produce that's labelled organic, but I don't know what kind of certification/standards they use. The CMU farm between Nimmanhemind Rd. & the canal road sells produce & though I've never been a friend tells me they have organic veggies. There are a couple of health food shops as well (Aden on Nimmanhemind Rd. & one next to Suriwong Books on Sri Donchai)& you could check with them. Good luck finding what you need.

I’m shortly moving to Chiang Mai. My experience elsewhere in Thailand is that the 99% of the red meat available at a butcher or open market is pork – beef seems the rarely available 1%. (Restaurants or cooked products of course are a different matter.) Plenty of cows and even goats in the countryside – herds often being walked across fields or along roads - the sole purpose for rearing them I presume is meat, not dairy. Is fresh beef and goat meat readily available in Chiang Mai? Dare I ask about other meats like venison? Or game?

Can I find non-battery chicken or eggs?

Organic vegetables?

I do have a car, and if necessary I’d be prepared to go to the source – in the countryside if necessary.

Would appreciate any information on any of these queries. Thanks a lot.

bhc

Food quality in Chiengmai is exceptionally poor.

The farmers that supply the food (the ones I know) generally grow two crops. One for sale in Chiengmai and one for local consumption. The chemical rich crops go to Chiengmai. Very few rural Thais will buy strawberries, cucumbers, garlic, watermelon......etc. in CM. They know what was sprayed upon it. Although it does look 'picture perfect'.

'Wild boar' is another scam. This is just 'Muser' pig (aka Vietnamese pot belly pig). Hillfolks grow these pigs . Thais won't eat them because of the trichnosis worms. That is why Thais grow their pigs in wood crates off the ground. Not because they are mean and miserly.....but to avoid trichnosis in their pork.

Rice field rats are good to eat. Check out the markets that show 'splayed' rats/frogs/chickens. The splayed ones are to show that the organs are tumor free. The ones that are really disgusting end up in your 'coi tee oh' .

....Ken

The farmers that supply the food (the ones I know) generally grow two crops. One for sale in Chiengmai and one for local consumption. The chemical rich crops go to Chiengmai. Very few rural Thais will buy strawberries, cucumbers, garlic, watermelon......etc. in CM. They know what was sprayed upon it. Although it does look 'picture perfect'.

So what do you suggest to do about vegetables for people who live in Chiang Mai and want to get stuff that isnt as heavily sprayed with pesticides?

'Wild boar' is another scam. This is just 'Muser' pig (aka Vietnamese pot belly pig). Hillfolks grow these pigs .

Not always a scam. I know at least one farm (in the mountains, not too far from the klong Chon Pathan but difficult to find) where they grow real wild boars.

So what do you suggest to do about vegetables for people who live in Chiang Mai and want to get stuff that isnt as heavily sprayed with pesticides?

Nevermind, It's bullshit. farmers do not grow two crops, they only manage one.. The idea is to take the best looking quality to town to sell, and eat the rest or sell local for very cheap.. Living anywhere still has the same problems...

Appreciate the responses already given. Many quite specific on where to find what. On the whole I'm encouraged about the availability of decent stuff in Chiang Mai.

Some comments I would add:

Still puzzled why goat meat isn't widely available at butchers - fresh rather than frozen - at least at the butchers of large supermarkets. In europe lamb is commonly eaten and therefore found in shops; in Thailand one doesn't see sheep, but one does see herds of goats. Is their meat always frozen? But I'm happy with the info about Macro's frozen meats.

I have met thai farmers who won't eat the lettuce that's everywhere offered, for example with papaya salad, because they know what and how much has been sprayed on it. But again there was the helpful tip on finding non- or less-sprayed vegetables.

The question of asking restaurants may not be that simple. I once asked a chinese-thai place which was served me a delicious venison dishes where I could buy the meat but got a deliberately uninformative answer. I presume he wanted me to continue to come to him to eat it!

I'd be partcularly interested in buying wild fish - but short of finding/knowing fisherman - this seems the hardest to find. Would anyone know a reliable fishmonger who sells non-farmed fish in Chian Mai?

Finally, by mentioning game I had in mind things like deer, hare, pheasant, wild duck - the sort of game one would commonly eat in europe. I wasn't thinking of exotic meats like crocodile, squirrel, etc

'Wild boar' is another scam. This is just 'Muser' pig (aka Vietnamese pot belly pig). Hillfolks grow these pigs .

Not always a scam. I know at least one farm (in the mountains, not too far from the klong Chon Pathan but difficult to find) where they grow real wild boars .

Sorry to appear pedantic Adjan but how can a farm grown wild boar be called a wild boar? Shouldn't it be labelled a tame boar?

PS. This is BB trying to be polite.

Not always a scam. I know at least one farm (in the mountains, not too far from the klong Chon Pathan but difficult to find) where they grow real wild boars .

Sorry to appear pedantic Adjan but how can a farm grown wild boar be called a :o wild boar? Shouldn't it be labelled a tame boar?

That's easy.They poke 'em with a stick untill they get really angry........

Sorry to appear pedantic Adjan but how can a farm grown wild boar be called a :o wild boar? Shouldn't it be labelled a tame boar?

Any suppliers of dead Kiwi meat in Chiang Mai?

Any suppliers of dead Kiwi meat in Chiang Mai?

Nope, but you can find lots of decrepit old roos ...

I would and do buy vegetables from Doi Khum (Kings Project). They have a store at the corner of Suthep Road and the Klong Road (NW corner).

I'm sorry to have to say this but around where I live alot of people like to buy stuff from my garden because they have faith that I really don't use chemicals in my garden and they don't trust Thai people who say that they don't use chemicals......and I guess to be honest I would say that I agree with them. If you want to be sure you get organic produce the best way is to find someone who really believes in raising stuff naturally...and these days you might be more likely to find a westerner than a Thai.....but of course the best way is to raise some yourself!!!! If ten of you each chipped in 10k or 20k baht you could probably buy one rai and split it up into plots (NOT legally subdivide.....get all your wives and husbands to be part owners of an organic gardening "club") and each have a nice organic garden plot....you could buy manure in bulk and get a good deal on it and even water each other's plots by mutual agreement if you got really organized.....just a thought!!!!

Chownah

No suggestions about where to buy unfarmed fish? River fish I guess since sea, if not farmed, may not be that fresh.

I'm sorry to have to say this but around where I live alot of people like to buy stuff from my garden because they have faith that I really don't use chemicals in my garden and they don't trust Thai people who say that they don't use chemicals......and I guess to be honest I would say that I agree with them. If you want to be sure you get organic produce the best way is to find someone who really believes in raising stuff naturally...and these days you might be more likely to find a westerner than a Thai.....but of course the best way is to raise some yourself!!!! If ten of you each chipped in 10k or 20k baht you could probably buy one rai and split it up into plots (NOT legally subdivide.....get all your wives and husbands to be part owners of an organic gardening "club") and each have a nice organic garden plot....you could buy manure in bulk and get a good deal on it and even water each other's plots by mutual agreement if you got really organized.....just a thought!!!!

Chownah

Do you grow thai vegetables or farang or both? If you are open to new customers perhaps you could give me contact info to note for when I am settled in CM.

Do you grow thai vegetables or farang or both? If you are open to new customers perhaps you could give me contact info to note for when I am settled in CM.

Lotus eater,

Thanks for the interest but I don't live in CM province so I can't help you. Best of luck in finding natural foods and be sure to share your contacts here when you find them.

Chownah

Sorry to appear pedantic Adjan but how can a farm grown wild boar be called a wild boar? Shouldn't it be labelled a tame boar?

English is a disappointing language. :o

There is no egg in the eggplant, No ham in the hamburger

And neither pine nor apple in the pineapple.

English muffins were not invented in England, French fries were not invented in France.

Quicksand takes you down slowly, boxing rings are square,

And a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

If the plural of tooth is teeth, shouldn't the plural of phone booth be phone beeth?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what the heck does a humanitarian eat?

Why do people recite at a play, yet play at a recital?

Park on driveways and Drive on parkways?

How can the weather be as hot as hel_l on one day and as cold as hel_l on another?

When the stars are out they are visible, But when the lights are out they are invisible.

Nevermind, It's bullshit. farmers do not grow two crops, they only manage one.. The idea is to take the best looking quality to town to sell, and eat the rest or sell local for very cheap.. Living anywhere still has the same problems...

Hmmm, bullshit eh?

Must be nice sunning yourself on the banks of d' nile.

...Ken

Hmmm, bullshit eh?

Must be nice sunning yourself on the banks of d' nile.

...Ken

Some readers may find the following disturbing. Reader discretion advised.

C'mon Ken, you should know, as most others do by now, that most of what you say is crap.... :o

No suggestions about where to buy unfarmed fish? River fish I guess since sea, if not farmed, may not be that fresh.

Chownah

Suggest you try the salad restaurant which uses vegetables grown hydroponically on its grounds at the rear of the restaurant. The restaurant (not sure of name) can not be missed as it is on the left just past the turn-in to Airport Plaza and before Immigration on your way to the airport. Visit the hydroponic set-up and if you like, fresh produce is aval for purchase.

Hmmm...not so sure river fish is all that free from pesticides considering what is dumped in the city water drains and eventually ends up in the Mae Ping and other waterways. If you are near Suriwongse Book store take a minute to cross the road down a ways toward the moat where there is a motorcycle shop in an old wooden house. Look through the gaps in the floor boards to witness a pit of coagulating oil waste beneath. Not far from the black babbling regurgitating stream that bisects the town.

Chownah

Suggest you try the salad restaurant which uses vegetables grown hydroponically on its grounds at the rear of the restaurant. The restaurant (not sure of name) can not be missed as it is on the left just past the turn-in to Airport Plaza and before Immigration on your way to the airport. Visit the hydroponic set-up and if you like, fresh produce is aval for purchase.

Hydroponics is interesting but it is not organic....on the contrary it is the exact opposite of natural or organic growing. In hydroponics things are grown on nothing but chemicals. Hydroponics does have the advantage that if done properly you don't need to use pesticides.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

• 1 year later...