Sinet in Chiang Mai

worldtraveller

I am using Sinet, had a rocky start with the connection being unstable, but once that was fixed has been relatively smooth sailing however I am hardly ever getting the advertised speeds.

I am meant to be on 28 mb download, 8 upload, and these are what i just got now. Less than half what I am meant to be getting.

4683490483.png

had sinet in sansai, good; had si net in sarapii, good; but expensive 1290b per month fiber optic and they always have the sad tale about having to run the line into the mooban from 5,000baht up. Moving to doi saket in october, and true move gave me a promotion deal platinum all the channels 2584b and 50mb download cable internet for a combined package of 2990b per month including a free 450mb sim card my wife used for ipad. ture move no more dish only cable now.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using Sinet, had a rocky start with the connection being unstable, but once that was fixed has been relatively smooth sailing however I am hardly ever getting the advertised speeds.

I am meant to be on 28 mb download, 8 upload, and these are what i just got now. Less than half what I am meant to be getting.

You are testing the speed to a server in Yangon (Myanmar). Try test against Bangkok, North America, and/or Europe.

• Like 1

I've had Sinet fibre for close to a year now, near CMU. It's been rock-solid. I consistently get the advertised speed within Thailand, and international speeds that match the best of any other providers I've tried. I've had only one outage, a loss of connectivity after a network upgrade, and their service people were excellent - helpful and clear on the phone and a couple of cheerful and competent techs showing up at the door very quickly.

One thing I liked about using them was there were no issues hooking up my own router/firewall, although the the d-link wifi router they provide with the service is just fine and you can get admin access to it for configuring the firewall if you want.

• 1 month later...

I just installed AIS and they are currently running a few promotions

We picked the 6 months 50% off the subscription price and at 15/5 it's fast enough for the usual YouTube music stuff and work emails etc

We don't play games or stream movies so I Guess 15/5 was more than fast enough for us

Came with a free wifi router and also the AIS playbox which came with free movies for a month and the karaoke function

Pleased setup was a Breeze and everything is working as its mentioned

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been having Sinet for the last 3 months.

I’ve had a handful of shorter outages, it’s not uncommon I have issues streaming from Apple Music, for 3-5 days I couldn’t keep a connection to my server in the UK (e.g. ssh connection, connecting to IRC bouncer, etc.), I’ve had lots of buffering when streaming videos (news sites, YouTube, etc.).

I picked the 24/5 Mbit option since that should be for people who want good international speeds, but while my experience hasn’t been terrible, it’s not something I would recommend.

Though I have no experience with any of the other providers, maybe it’s a general problem, as apart from the handful of shorter outages, the issue is about connectivity to international servers, as doing a speed test to Bangkok generally shows excellent throughput.

had a few issue recently with SINET after a very good start - 24 hour stoppage last week and slow upload speeds so not sure why problem all of a sudden

Yeah same here the last 2 weeks or so stability has gone down considerably, Im getting disconnected on a daily basis at random times for about 40 mins, Ill call up service centre who always say the same thing, they will get a technician to call back, on the times where I do get a call back (maybe 50% of cases) Its always after around 2 hours when the service is back on. Been very frustrating to say the least.

• Like 2

Yeah same here the last 2 weeks or so stability has gone down considerably, Im getting disconnected on a daily basis at random times for about 40 mins, Ill call up service centre who always say the same thing, they will get a technician to call back, on the times where I do get a call back (maybe 50% of cases) Its always after around 2 hours when the service is back on. Been very frustrating to say the least.

My experience almost exactly. I'm probably looking to switch back to another provider after the current billing cycle.

• Like 1

i been considering on trying it only because my CAT that I use which i pay 2500 a month for a 30/5 line lately has sucked big time, knocked off several times a week, slow all the time, have to reboot modem 5 times a day... seems i could try a 75/25 with sinet at 1899 a month but will it be good, who knows?, that is the thing with Internet in Thailand. You could have terrible internet at your place but the guy next door who has the same internet provider as you has fantastic internet. Kind of the luck of the draw....

but thinking even more, doesnt Sinet Lease Cat Internet lines, so its kind of like I am going back to CAT anyway, might end up with the same problem

I love Thailand, but i have to admit when it comes to Internet I always miss back home:) one of the things you just seem to have to put up with living in the land of smiles:)

Anyone got Sinet in he Chang Phuek area up by Mountain View Condo way? be curious

oh yeah another problem i happen to have a desktop and a laptop, in the past no issues but lately if I am downloading something on one machine, lets say a windows update, movie, apple update whatever, it makes the other system useless for internet, like only one system is allowed to take the bandwidth at a time:) didnt have that issue before

Edited by krey

• 3 months later...

I would say my internet with Sinet has been better then when I was in north America hardly ever go down outages could be counted on one hand in two years I would recommend going with higher packages with then because of the higher international bandwidth ratio, better equipments and faster service

i been considering on trying it only because my CAT that I use which i pay 2500 a month for a 30/5 line lately has sucked big time, knocked off several times a week, slow all the time, have to reboot modem 5 times a day... seems i could try a 75/25 with sinet at 1899 a month but will it be good, who knows?, that is the thing with Internet in Thailand. You could have terrible internet at your place but the guy next door who has the same internet provider as you has fantastic internet. Kind of the luck of the draw....

but thinking even more, doesnt Sinet Lease Cat Internet lines, so its kind of like I am going back to CAT anyway, might end up with the same problem

I love Thailand, but i have to admit when it comes to Internet I always miss back home:) one of the things you just seem to have to put up with living in the land of smiles:)

Anyone got Sinet in he Chang Phuek area up by Mountain View Condo way? be curious

oh yeah another problem i happen to have a desktop and a laptop, in the past no issues but lately if I am downloading something on one machine, lets say a windows update, movie, apple update whatever, it makes the other system useless for internet, like only one system is allowed to take the bandwidth at a time:) didnt have that issue before

As an update to my comment above (#10) where I said that I had lots of issues with Sinet:

For a little over a month, I have been using my condominium’s shared TOT connection (which seems to offer about 10/10 Mbit per condo/router) and my internet experience has been vastly improved since I paid Sinet for a 24/5 Mbit connection.

Since then I have gotten an AppleTV, so my use of streaming has even increased.

I don't know if anyone is considering this when reporting slow speeds and disconnects...

If you are using wifi in your home and are on a 2.4G connection you may be experiencing tons of interference from other users and wireless phones etc...

If you have a dual band router, consider trying a 5G connection.

MUCH less interference. 2.4G will travel longer distances but 5G will have less interference.

I noticed a marked improvement when I switched.

Just FYI

• Like 1

Attracted by their monthly payment scheme (ie not requiring a year's contract as 3BB do), I used Sinet's basic connection in my condo for a couple of months but it was slow (often down to 1Mbps), so I upgraded to their fibre optic connection for a couple of months. Initially that was fast (30Mbps), but then slowed right down (5-10Mbps) and has been up and down ever since, with occasional outages (one 24 hours, one 4 days).

What is more annoying to me is that, now I have stopped using it, they keep sending me demands for further payment by SMS text but do not accept replies, nor do their previous text numbers work, nor does the current 1147 text address work (for me), nor does their Line address work (for me), and their website doesn't have a working English version ! So much for a communications company.

What is more annoying to me is that, now I have stopped using it, they keep sending me demands for further payment by SMS text but do not accept replies, nor do their previous text numbers work, nor does the current 1147 text address work (for me), nor does their Line address work (for me), and their website doesn't have a working English version ! So much for a communications company.

In all fairness, you have to properly terminate your contract with them and give them back their equipment.

Just go to their booth in Kad Suan Kaew to sort it out (and bring your router and maybe your last bill or contract).

• 2 weeks later...

I've used them for a year and was very pleased. Stable. The last few weeks, there have been some problems, but using down for less than an hour. I noticed the problems started when they closed their local call center.

• 2 months later...

Sinet in Sansai (Noi) in 2016

Was browsing/reading through quite a few threads about ISP's in Chiang Mai area, appreciate all the information seen so far !

Just to get a bit more specific: can anybody share experiences with Sinet in Sansai Noi area over the last few months in 2016 ? I planning for a FTTx fibre optical connections to a house in the moo baan (Sinet is already there) and was wondering how they perform in this particular area. Certainly I'm more interested to international hosted servers, less to local content.

BTW: I was previously also considering 3BB as my future ISP, but min. 1 year packages, even upfront payment and upgrades only allowed after 6 months of original subscribed services (according to their call center) doesn't look that exciting any longer ...

Apologise if have overlooked any other (old) threads somewhere in the CM forum, but thought "Sinet in Chiang Mai" is the most suitable thread ...

Appreciate for your thoughts.

• 1 year later...

Have had SiNet for 4-5 years.  Best Internet in Thailand.  Any repairs or updates are done after midnight, and they always send an email telling you when it will happen.  Best Customer Service I've ever had.  Called me to say they don't think I was getting  enough speed, and within 72 hours the throughput tripled.  I am now looking for a condo to rent, and am only looking for buildings that use SiNet.