Ukrainian arrested in Bangkok with 48 fake ATM cards

webfact

Ukrainian arrested in Bangkok with 48 fake ATM cards

atm.jpg

Image source: Fm91bkk

BANGKOK:-- A Ukrainian man has been arrested for allegedly using counterfeit ATM cards to withdraw more than 1 million Baht from cash machines in Bangkok, police said on Tuesday.

Ruslan Lazariev, 37 was arrested trying to withdraw cash from an SCB ATM at Soi Phaholyothin 26, in the Chatuchak district of Bangkok.

Police also searched the room where Lazariev had been staying, where they found more than 200,000 baht in cash and a number of documents containing the pin numbers to the cards.

Officers from the Crime Suppression Division arrested Lazariev following information provided by Siam Commercial Bank.

Police are investigating if Lazariev withdrew cash from any other bank ATMs in Thailand.

Source: Fm91bkk

tvn.png
-- 2015-09-22

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ukrainian man arrested for allegedly using fake ATM cards
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Crime Suppression Division police have arrested a Ukrainian man for having allegedly using fake ATM cards to withdraw over Bt1 million from ATM machines in Bangkok.

CSD Commander Pol Maj Gen Akkaradej Pimolsri told a press conference Tuesday that Ruslan Lazariev, 37, was arrested at an ATM machine of Siam Commercial Bank on Soi Phaholyothin 26 in Bangkok's Chatuchak district.

Akkaradej said police made the arrest after the CSD was informed by the SCB that some foreigners have been using fake ATM cards with account data of bank customers in the United States and Europe to withdraw cash from SCB ATM machines.

A total of 48 fake ATM cards and Bt200,000 cash were found on Lazariev and inside his room.

Akkaradej said the man had allegedly withdrawn over Bt1 million from SCB's ATM machines since Saturday. Police have yet to check whether other banks had been affected as well.

Lazariev told police that he entered Thailand on September 5 with two friends to use fake ATM cards to withdraw cash from ATM machines.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Ukrainian-man-arrested-for-allegedly-using-fake-AT-30269302.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-22

Yes, I am not surprised.

Most of the ATM fraud in Thailand is committed by the Ukrainians and Romanians (Romanian and Moldavian Gypsies).

Also Chinese and Malaysians are very active in this field.

Akkaradej said police made the arrest after the CSD was informed by the SCB that some foreigners have been using fake ATM cards with account data of bank customers in the United States and Europe to withdraw cash from SCB ATM machines.

That's how the Ukrainians are expressing their gratitude towards America and Europe for all their support being provided to the Ukraine! coffee1.gif

Edited by metisdead

45 fake cards would have been fine, but 48 was over-the-top.

Just so long as yours wasn't among the 45 copies eh?

This SCB hacking thing went off around a couple or so months back and is ongoing? Why is it so easy to hack ATMs here? I really don't know how it's easier than the West. And at least in the West, there's recompense, not like here. Thieving bastards.

BTW, love how they always cite 'foreigners' when hacking is endemic within Thai society.

Edited by dageurreotype

They rarely state the immigration status of people like this.....Immigration needs to be more careful who they are letting enter the country and shame on the banks that have still not switched over to the newer ATM cards. An open invitation to criminals

Am I right in thinking that we never hear how long the sentences are that these scum get or is it just me not seeing it anywhere. For all we know they just get deported. A press release saying they get 10 years would at least put off some of the thieving scum.

Yes, I am not surprised.

Most of the ATM fraud in Thailand is committed by the Ukrainians and Romanians (Romanian and Moldavian Gypsies).

That's how the Ukrainians are expressing their gratitude towards America and Europe for all their support being provided to the Ukraine! coffee1.gif

Oh well, at least, no one has any doubts about your nationality, Barin ...

I think you can 'buy that online', card & pin numbers - the only thing you need to do is 'burn' the card and go to an ATM.

If you are clever you ask OTHER people do do that for you and promise them a 10/15% fee for all money they withdraw - this guy is probably still learning how to do it, it's not clever to withdraw the money yourself as we all can see coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

The article said they had PIN codes on a paper. Maybe they are cloned magnetic cards. So the holders did not know that their cards were stolen. And therefore they had not been closed I believe?

I believe they are cards from abroad that they use to withdraw in Thai ATM's as many still use the magnetic stripe in Thailand.

Edited by martin81

Yes, I am not surprised.

I still have doubts, please elaborate?

Yes, I am not surprised.

whistling.gif Not my job, Man. Uncle Samclap2.gif

They rarely state the immigration status of people like this.....Immigration needs to be more careful who they are letting enter the country and shame on the banks that have still not switched over to the newer ATM cards. An open invitation to criminals

If the banks switched to newer cards they couldn't take the spread between what was stolen and what was reported. whistling.gif

Unless you have a travel notice for the countries you plan to travel to and the time frame you plan to travel, the banks in America are suppose to flag the transaction as fraud and lock the account. So I would be interested in the names of the banks that let the transactions go through.