Mighty quick UK passport renewal via Trendy agency (two weeks)

Having got some good advice on this forum about the application process I thought I'd give a quick account of a successful passport renewal in Bangkok via Trendy agency which took exactly two weeks.

- I submitted my UK passport renewal (for a 48 pager) on the morning of 8th September, first appointment of the day at 8.30am.

- Noted via DHL tracking the passport renewal application had reached HMPO on midday of 10 September.

- I noted that they debited my account on 14th September. The DHL tracking number provided by Trendy didn't seem to track the return package back from the UK so I was starting to wonder if it was still being processed by HMPO.

- However, I got a call and email a couple of days ago (21st September) from Trendy agency around 1.30pm saying the passport was ready for collection. I actually collected the passport today (23rd September), so overall an extremely quick turnaround.

Overall, despite the downside of having to pay extra to renew in Thailand it was a very painless service via Trendy.

One thing I would note though - the girls at Trendy whilst very friendly and professional do not check that the details you have filled out on the application form are correct or that the photos you provide meet the exact requirements of HMPO (i.e. they are definitely not a substitute for the Post Office Check and send service you can get in the UK). I was actually a bit concerned about the photos I was planning to use so I asked a family member in the UK to check with a Post Office manager back home to confirm that they were suitable. Therefore, the staff at Trendy will merely check the supporting documents required to make your application from outside of the UK using a checklist which then forms part of your passport collection receipt which is fair enough I guess.

So it's very much up to you to make sure all the details are correct as it could be a real pain having to provide extra info/documents from Thailand if HMPO pull you up on anything.

When you collect the passport they also give you a letter from the British Embassy asking immigration to transfer visa/stamps to the new passport - I posted more info in this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/857340-renewed-uk-passport-what-do-i-need-to-transfer-to-the-new-passport/?p=9886194

Bearing in mind the shipping time of approx two days to and from the UK the whole turnaround was very quick both on the part of both Trendy Agency and HMPO.

Hopefully others can get a similarly quick service if they need to renew in Thailand. I will try and answer any other questions about the process from users if people have them.

• Like 1

What you got is the current par for the course, compared to the service that was on offer just over 12 months ago, two weeks is quite reasonable.

Yes, trendy function primarily as an HMPO post box and, as you point out, their accepting one's papers does not guarantee a passport application success with HMPO Liverpool..

The DHL tracking number trendy give is purely for the BKK -> Liverpool leg of the application, it does not cover the return shipping from Liverpool to BKK, once the passport has been issued.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Alan Deer said:

What do you do on arrival at Trendy building?

You arrive at the appointed time, with a printout of your confirmed appointment, and go up to the 28th floor. The reception desk gives you an entry pass and a number. This number is called (usually quickly) to summon you to a counter where your application and supporting documentation is checked. Assuming you have all the required items, this is a quick and painless process.

The only real problem with the Trendy building application (a big one) is the need to travel there in the first place if you do not reside in or near to Bangkok. Occasionally, setting up an appointment at short notice can also be difficult. Overall, though, after a rocky start, it is now a well run operation.

On 9/23/2015 at 1:13 PM, digitalchromakey said:

What you got is the current par for the course, compared to the service that was on offer just over 12 months ago, two weeks is quite reasonable.

Yes, trendy function primarily as an HMPO post box and, as you point out, their accepting one's papers does not guarantee a passport application success with HMPO Liverpool..

The DHL tracking number trendy give is purely for the BKK -> Liverpool leg of the application, it does not cover the return shipping from Liverpool to BKK, once the passport has been issued.

Once your PP is at Heathrow on it's way back to BKK you receive a SMS from DHL with a new tracking number, had this myself last year and my friend who applied 2 weeks ago also got one last week

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The only real problem with the Trendy building application (a big one) is the need to travel there in the first place if you do not reside in or near to Bangkok. Occasionally, setting up an appointment at short notice can also be difficult. Overall, though, after a rocky start, it is now a well run operation.

Not to mention the need to travel there again, possibly from afar,  when your passport is ready for collection.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

You arrive at the appointed time, with a printout of your confirmed appointment, and go up to the 28th floor. The reception desk gives you an entry pass and a number. This number is called (usually quickly) to summon you to a counter where your application and supporting documentation is checked. Assuming you have all the required items, this is a quick and painless process.

Thanks,

I applied for my appointment on the 13th and got it for today the 20th.

On entering Trendy at about 8.20, I found a large queue at the desk - however I by-passed that as they all looked like visa applicants and the woman at the desk immediately stamped my letter of appointment.

If I had waited in the queue I'd probably have been late for the appointment.

There is only one lift (direct) to the 28th floor and again there was a queue for that - but the lift was capable of devouring about a 1/3 of the queue at a timeOnce up stairs I again ignored instructions to queue and was ushered in just about straight away.

everyone there seems to assume you are there for a visa - so it seems to be a good idea to ignore that and wave your appointment letter about.

the whole procedure took about 40 minutes.

Edited by Alan Deer

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

I live not too far, but as the appt was early morning I stayed in a nearby hotel that I often use. ...add to this the cost of diesel and the cost of a second run into Bkk, I'd say that getting an agent to do it for you is well worth considering.